Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Friday install scheduled. Nervous.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 09:37 PM
DanC5
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Friday install scheduled. Nervous.

This Friday my 01 coupe is getting a new system. The shop did a great job for me earlier this year with an alarm system in a truck. But this is my vette! They're always doing nice cars so I'm sure it will be ok (I hope.) Here's what they're doing:

Alpine CDA-7894 CD/MP3 Receiver
Rockford Fosgate Power 550X Amplifier
Boston Acoustics 6.5 ProSeries Components (Doors)
Alpine S-Series 6.5 Coaxial 2-Way (Rear - I put these in a while back)
Kicker CompVR 10" (Sunk into center compartment in custom sealed box)

They said the Alpines would be driven straight from the head, while the Amp would drive the doors with two channels and the Kicker with the other two. The amp will be mounted on the stiffened back wall of the coupe.

I wanted to do it myself but I'm just not finding the time.. which would have had to include learning from scratch.

I want to believe this system is going to sound good when they're done. Words of encouragement are appreciated. Or, if you know I'm buying poop, I'd appreciate the info before it gets installed.

I think the MP3-CDs will be cool. Lot's of songs per CD. I better get burnin. Maybe it'll help take my mind off of it. :crazy:
Old 05-21-2002, 01:55 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Friday install scheduled. Nervous. (DanC5)

Only one way to find out. most peoples listening preferences differ so much that it's really the only way to know if you like it or not. Good luck. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 05-25-2002, 04:10 AM
DanC5
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, now I know why I was nervous.

The head and door speakers are in. System sounds great and sub isn't in yet. The box is built and fiberglass is drying. Very tight, solid custom box. All is going well, mostly.

However...

There's a million fingerprints everywhere. Looks like they don't know how to use door handles. The worst part is, the guy with sticky fiberglass resin must have rested his hand on the fender.. cuz there was resin stuck to the paint! :mad

One idiot sales guy tried to rub it off with his fingers before I swatted his hand away. I reminded them, again, how soft the paint is on these cars, which is why I provided so many terri cloth towles. Another sales guy tried to tell me it must have been there before I brought it in! :mad :mad

I found some cleaner and got the resin off and it looks ok but a little dull. Need to super clean it then super zaino when I get it home.

This is what I was afraid of. Also they got some cheap grill for the sub, after they told me they would get a good one. I'm going to go buy a good one tomorrow morning and bring it to them.

Tomorrow I get it back. Man, I told them that my wife's new vette would be here in a few weeks and they would get the job if they took care of mine. I also tipped both of the installers $20 each BEFORE they started, said lunch was on me. Well guess what, they are not getting Linda's car.

I shouldn't have to get a new paint job just because I want a nice stereo. I guess I picked the wrong place. (Though the actual stereo install is done very nice.)

I let them know that this was not cool. They got the message. Don't know if it will do any good. Can't wait to rescue it out of harms way. Wish I could have done it myself.

All done venting.. I hope! :cry

P.S. Boy did they blow a bigger tip once the job was done. My wallet is done comin out there.

[Modified by DanC5, 12:13 AM 5/25/2002]
Old 05-27-2002, 10:47 PM
FUN4JT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,
What shop is doing your install? I'd like to know who not to go too.
My car's coming out of the paint shop this week and next is the stereo install. I'll need to have sub enclosure built between the rear facia and inner wall so
the rear facia will need to be removed/replaced. Don't need fiberglass resin
on the new paint.
Thanks,
JT

Get notified of new replies

To Friday install scheduled. Nervous.

Quick Reply: Friday install scheduled. Nervous.