Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Convertible Subwoofer box

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 PM
cantwp01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Convertible Subwoofer box

Hey Audio Folks,

Anyone have an experience with the JL Stealthbox subwoofer system?

I'm talking with Car toys and they want to charge me $700 for a box that will hold tow 8" subs, then I have to buy the speakers. These JL's look to be pretty good option.

Any thoughts? I'm replacing my head unit with the Pioneer (looked at the Kenwood but about $500 more), the front speakers, adding an amp, and the subs behind the seats.

Would like anyone's experience here as I am a novice but am looking for some WOW factor for my first stereo system.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by cantwp01
Hey Audio Folks,

Anyone have an experience with the JL Stealthbox subwoofer system?

I'm talking with Car toys and they want to charge me $700 for a box that will hold tow 8" subs, then I have to buy the speakers. These JL's look to be pretty good option.

Any thoughts? I'm replacing my head unit with the Pioneer (looked at the Kenwood but about $500 more), the front speakers, adding an amp, and the subs behind the seats.

Would like anyone's experience here as I am a novice but am looking for some WOW factor for my first stereo system.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Give me a couple weeks and I will have our C6 box for the trunk to hold 2 10" JL or Memphis shallow mount subs and the box will act as a partition. 499.99 Is going to be the price for this setup
I sent my prototype box for build yesterday. Hoping to have a box back next week to check fitment
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 AM
cantwp01
Advanced

Default sub box

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Give me a couple weeks and I will have our C6 box for the trunk to hold 2 10" JL or Memphis shallow mount subs and the box will act as a partition. 499.99 Is going to be the price for this setup
I sent my prototype box for build yesterday. Hoping to have a box back next week to check fitment
so this will incluce the speakers that will next to the waterfall behind the seats and the bog for this amount? Also, could I get it in the same tan color carpet or what color is yours going to be?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

so this will incluce the speakers that will next to the waterfall behind the seats and the bog for this amount? Also, could I get it in the same tan color carpet or what color is yours going to be?

This will not have anything to do with the rear speakers as the box will fit into the trunk and subs firing towards the rear of the car.

The carpet will only come in charcoal gray to match the rest of the trunk carpet

Once I have them ready to ship I will post pics

Would also recommend yes the KEnwood over the Pioneer
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 AM
cantwp01
Advanced

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
This will not have anything to do with the rear speakers as the box will fit into the trunk and subs firing towards the rear of the car.

The carpet will only come in charcoal gray to match the rest of the trunk carpet

Once I have them ready to ship I will post pics

Would also recommend yes the KEnwood over the Pioneer
I was told that if I put the sub in the trunk I'd loose most of the effect vs putting right behing the seats. Not true?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Dennis knows what he is talking about
Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 AM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I was told that if I put the sub in the trunk I'd loose most of the effect vs putting right behing the seats. Not true?
The real issue you face:

If you put any sub in a convertible you’ll lose most of the effect with the top down vs putting the same sub in a non-convertible.

My advise …. whatever you "think" you'll be happy with for your low end setup (subs and amps) in a convertible..... double it (at minimum).
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
cantwp01
Advanced

Originally Posted by v8rx7com
The real issue you face:

If you put any sub in a convertible you’ll lose most of the effect with the top down vs putting the same sub in a non-convertible.

My advise …. whatever you "think" you'll be happy with for your low end setup (subs and amps) in a convertible..... double it (at minimum).
My problem is I don't know what I want. I've never upgraded a stereo before. I don't want to spend a ton but don't want to get half way there and regret not spending enough to have that wow factor. If you I'm going to replace the head unit and upgrade my doors speakers, then thought I'd do the amp and subs. If you think your box would be a good recommendation for my vert, I'm all ears. Pun intended! Maybe I'll have Car Toys do the head unit, doors speakers, amp and leave me a connector for the sub box?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll bet good money that Dennis can beat the prices at Car Toys any day of the week. If you have some mechanical skills, you can do the work yourself and save a ton of cash. There are a lot of tutorials and pictures in the FAQ's at the top of the audio section, and there might even be someone local that can give you a hand.

In a Vert, I'd go with two tens... they are small enough that they won't take up your entire trunk, but big enough to give you some decent bass. If you don't care to lose your trunk space and want more "boom" then you can probably go with more drivers or bigger drivers... It just depends on what you want to do.

Personally, I'd hold off a couple of weeks to see what Dennis comes up with. Use the time to do some research to find out what's out there, and come up with a plan. At the very least, you could show the folks at Car Toys the picture of the box Dennis has and ask, "How much to make me one of these?" Then you'll see first hand just how reasonable his prices are.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:18 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

My problem is I don't know what I want. I've never upgraded a stereo before. I don't want to spend a ton but don't want to get half way there and regret not spending enough to have that wow factor. If you I'm going to replace the head unit and upgrade my doors speakers, then thought I'd do the amp and subs. If you think your box would be a good recommendation for my vert, I'm all ears. Pun intended! Maybe I'll have Car Toys do the head unit, doors speakers, amp and leave me a connector for the sub box?
If you are going for “wow” factor … you’ll want an amplifier powering your door speakers (not the head-unit)

Plus ... being a convertible …on the highway with the top down … you’ll really want an amplifier powering your door speakers

Question for Dennis:

It’s been my experience that subs in a trunk of a convertible generally sound better than subs in the open air environment “cabin” of a convertible.

I have my subs behind my seats … because I didn’t want to lose luggage space….. but … I have wondered what the difference in sound quality is between the trunk vs. behind the seats in the C6 vert?

What has been your experience with the installs you’ve done with C6 convertibles in regards to sub “sound” quality in the trunk vs. behind the seats? Especially when the tops down.

Last edited by v8rx7com; 03-09-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:54 PM
cantwp01
Advanced

If you are going for “wow” factor … you’ll want an amplifier powering your door speakers (not the head-unit)

Plus ... being a convertible …on the highway with the top down … you’ll really want an amplifier powering your door speakers

Question for Dennis:

It’s been my experience that subs in a trunk of a convertible generally sound better than subs in the open air environment “cabin” of a convertible.

I have my subs behind my seats … because I didn’t want to lose luggage space….. but … I have wondered what the difference in sound quality is between the trunk vs. behind the seats in the C6 vert?

What has been your experience with the installs you’ve done with C6 convertibles in regards to sub “sound” quality in the trunk vs. behind the seats? Especially when the tops down.
Great info guys, I realy appreciate the help. One last question; I know the Pioneer has about 1 amp less power for sound vs the Kenwood but is about $500 less. Should I spend the extra cash for the Kenwood?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

The power output difference between many head units is negligible. Don't let that sway your decision. As V8RX7 said, you'll want to run an amp on your main speakers in a vert, so it's a moot point anyway.

You should pick out a HU for the features it has to offer. Kenwood has better navigation (Garmin GPS) so if the navigation portion is really important to you, it's an easy choice... but it's going to cost a lot more. If navigation is not as critical, then for the money it's hard to beat the Pioneer.

What is it that you're looking for in a head unit? What features and options would you like? What are the overall goals for the system in your car?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 PM
cantwp01
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fasthotrod
The power output difference between many head units is negligible. Don't let that sway your decision. As V8RX7 said, you'll want to run an amp on your main speakers in a vert, so it's a moot point anyway.

You should pick out a HU for the features it has to offer. Kenwood has better navigation (Garmin GPS) so if the navigation portion is really important to you, it's an easy choice... but it's going to cost a lot more. If navigation is not as critical, then for the money it's hard to beat the Pioneer.

What is it that you're looking for in a head unit? What features and options would you like? What are the overall goals for the system in your car?

I'm so glad to hear you say that unless I want the navigation (which I don't cause I have it on my phone) go with the pioneer. I sure wanted to save the bucks and go with the Pioneer.

So here's what I'm thinking; new Pioneer head unit, upgrade the mids and tweeters in the doors, amp to run those and two JL Stealth subs behind the seats. As I've stated before, I'm a novice and am using info such as yours to help make the decisions. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Since you're getting real subs and you're planning on a new amp for doors you can skip the 'upgrade' for door/rear speakers and just do 6.5" components in the doors. Rears aren't really needed with good speakers that are well powered in the doors.

If you go with the JL option behind the seats I'd find a mono amp for the subs that puts out 500wRMS at 4ohms. Add components in the doors along with another amp that can put out about 100wRMS to two channels (either a 2-ch amp or bridgeable 4-ch). That would sound pretty sweet.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

The new Kenwood amps look impressive and are pretty small, too. He could run a XR400-4 ($299) for front and rear, and a XR600 for the subs. ($299) That's 75 watts/channel times four, plus 600 watts into two ohms for two subs. (Two 4 ohm subs in parallel.)

There are a bunch of options for sure... I've been eyeballing those amps because they are pretty small. (8 11/16" x 6 11/16" x 1 7/16")

I pulled those prices off Crutchfield, but I'm sure there are more cost effective options out there... I bet if you ask Dennis, he could give you a great deal on a total package. (Subs, box, amps, head unit, interface, installation accessories, etc...) It's certainly worth a phone call.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 PM
cantwp01
Advanced

The new Kenwood amps look impressive and are pretty small, too. He could run a XR400-4 ($299) for front and rear, and a XR600 for the subs. ($299) That's 75 watts/channel times four, plus 600 watts into two ohms for two subs. (Two 4 ohm subs in parallel.)

There are a bunch of options for sure... I've been eyeballing those amps because they are pretty small. (8 11/16" x 6 11/16" x 1 7/16")

I pulled those prices off Crutchfield, but I'm sure there are more cost effective options out there... I bet if you ask Dennis, he could give you a great deal on a total package. (Subs, box, amps, head unit, interface, installation accessories, etc...) It's certainly worth a phone call.
I'd love to get the stuff from Dennis as he has helped a lot of folks on this site but then I have to have someone install it. I know, you guys that know this stuff will say to do it myself but I don't trust myself taking my vette apart. Painting the bathroom maybe but taking my car apart not so much.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have 25 of each 3 Kenwood amps in stock too ready to ship and as always call me for best deals

I am using the Kenwood amps in my install
1 xr900-5
600 @ 2 ohm for subs
60 x 4- both tweeters and rear coax

1 xr 400-4
bridged into 2 channel for 200 x 2 for the door woofers

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Convertible Subwoofer box

Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I'd love to get the stuff from Dennis as he has helped a lot of folks on this site but then I have to have someone install it. I know, you guys that know this stuff will say to do it myself but I don't trust myself taking my vette apart. Painting the bathroom maybe but taking my car apart not so much.

Where do you live?

We are in process of looking for a building to buy/rent in Birmingham AL for a second location
Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I'm so glad to hear you say that unless I want the navigation (which I don't cause I have it on my phone) go with the pioneer. I sure wanted to save the bucks and go with the Pioneer.

So here's what I'm thinking; new Pioneer head unit, upgrade the mids and tweeters in the doors, amp to run those and two JL Stealth subs behind the seats. As I've stated before, I'm a novice and am using info such as yours to help make the decisions. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!
Kenwood hands down for not only NAV but Sound Quality

I have all Pioneer instock but the Z150
Also now authorized Alpine dealers too
Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Question for Dennis:

The C6 Vert boxes I am working on is mainly because I need an option for my new 2012 Grand Sport Vert I am putting a new system in as soon as In get my hands on the DNN990HD from Kenwood
So to best answer...I am making these for my vert so I guess that tells you what I like LOL

As noted it is real hard to get the same effect with subs in a vert as it is in a coupe. So trunk to me is best option

Dennis

Quick Reply: C6 Convertible Subwoofer box