Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Jensen VX6020 review

Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 AM
cadawg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jensen VX6020 review

Jensen VX6020 installed by Double D Mods

I’ve never wrote a review online before, but I felt this is one I should write. I couldn’t decide whether to post it in the audio forum, or the general forum, and since it’s a review, as much about a Corvette Forum vendor and the whole install experience, as it is about the Jensen VX6020, I think it may belong in the General Forum.

Features I wanted in my new stereo:

Built in GPS
DVD’s
AM/FM
Bluetooth
Ipod and Iphone compatible
SD and USB capability

The new Jensen VX6020 covered all the things I wanted and more, and for much less than competing models.

So after a couple of conversations, with Dennis and with Steven, we set up the install.

And while the Birmingham (Calera) location is a short drive from Atlanta, a couple of hours, I decided to drive over, spend the night, and have the install done the next morning, and then meet up with my niece, for lunch in Birmingham.

There is a very nice/new Hampton Inn close by, with an awesome restaurant, Ezell’s Catfish Cabin, right across the street. The catfish was great, also the fried shrimp, and some really good appetizers.

After dinner enjoyed a couple three glasses of wine, out by the hotel pool!

Next morning, met Steven at the shop. Great guy, and very quickly, he showed me how knowledgeable he is.

I can’t say enough about the meticulous attention to detail, and the great care he gave to my sweetie (yes that’s my cars name), his experience, was evident and greatly appreciated!

Now for the Jensen VX6020

I’m no audiophile, but I know when something sounds good, and this stereo does. It sounds much better than the stock Corvette radio.

The AM/FM works great, and is very intuitive to program. I did scan the manual, online a few days before the install.

The backup camera works great, and as many of us know, sometimes it’s very difficult to judge exactly, especially after enjoying an adult beverage, if I ever decided to do that.

Navigation works great!
I used it coming back from Birmingham to my home, east of Atlanta, near Athens.

I especially like the speed feature, letting me know if I was exceeding the speed limit, it even knew about the temporary, speed reduction in construction zones.

I’ve been known to have a lead foot on occasion. And the Alabama state patrol was out in grand fashion. I came upon the guy in the mustang that had pulled up beside me, and gunned his motor a few times. He was being greeted by the guy with the blue light flashing.

SD card: I have the entire BB King, Albert King and the Freddie King collection on a micro SD and those played great, and was easy to use that feature.

DVD/Movies: It played movies from the DVD’s I brought, AND it also played them from the SD card and USB.

Bluetooth: The Bluetooth works great!
Pairing the VX6020 with my iPhone was easy. Making and receiving calls couldn’t be any easier! The VX6020 has a built in microphone, and people tell me I sound very good.

Playing Pandora radio was simple, and worked really well. If you’ve never used a device with the Parrot Bluetooth, you should try one; you’ll see how much better it is.

Well, I don’t know if I missed any features, but if I did I will be glad to edit and update this review.

So in conclusion, I think the Jensen VX6020 is a winner.

It’s reasonably priced.
It does everything it’s supposed to do, and does it very well, no bugs or issues like some of the competitors costing two to three times as much!

Also dealing with Double D Mods was great. Dennis is patient, took all the time necessary to ensure, my stereo selection would do everything I wanted. Steven is great, I will not let anyone else, ever touch my Corvette.

Yep, that's Matt Dillon!

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

The Duke!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

I very much appreciate your Jensen review but I have a few questions. I've done a lot of looking and research and yours is the only review I've found anywhere, and its very cool that its from a fellow CF member. The lack of reviews is probably not unusual since this is a really new radio. I'm contemplating getting this unit as well and I have a few questions if I may.

1. How long does it take for the radio to "boot up"? Is it instantaneous or does it take a bit of time.
2. How responsive is it? Does it react quickly to your touch or is there some "lag" when you ask it to do something?
3. Do you feel it is a "powerful" unit. In other words, can you crank it and it still sounds good?
4. Did you keep the stock speakers or did you upgrade to better?
5. Connectivity with your phone was good? This might be subjective. My 98 is modded with about 430rwhp. My car has definite growl to it with the headers and catbacks. With that extra interior noise, would you think the sound quality of phone calls would still be good?

Appreciate you taking the time to review this. Let me know your thoughts on this unit.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM
cadawg
Instructor

Originally Posted by CactusCat
I very much appreciate your Jensen review but I have a few questions. I've done a lot of looking and research and yours is the only review I've found anywhere, and its very cool that its from a fellow CF member. The lack of reviews is probably not unusual since this is a really new radio. I'm contemplating getting this unit as well and I have a few questions if I may.

1. How long does it take for the radio to "boot up"? Is it instantaneous or does it take a bit of time.
2. How responsive is it? Does it react quickly to your touch or is there some "lag" when you ask it to do something?
3. Do you feel it is a "powerful" unit. In other words, can you crank it and it still sounds good?
4. Did you keep the stock speakers or did you upgrade to better?
5. Connectivity with your phone was good? This might be subjective. My 98 is modded with about 430rwhp. My car has definite growl to it with the headers and catbacks. With that extra interior noise, would you think the sound quality of phone calls would still be good?

Appreciate you taking the time to review this. Let me know your thoughts on this unit.
Will try to answer your question, and I'll agree with you, about being subjective, and want to emphasize, these are my opinions, based on my personal observations.

1. "Boot up time". Just now, checked it 3 or 4 times, and it took between 11 and 12 seconds.

2. "How responsive is it". I'm pleased to say very responsive, and don't see any lag time, at all, when selecting various things.

3."Do you think it is a powerful unit". I've been known to "crank it up" pretty loud. For example, last evening, I was coming home from meeting some friends at my local watering hole, and was playing Dwight Yoakum's Fast as You, and upon arrival, my wife told me she'd heard me coming from way down the road.

4. "stock speakers". Yes, kept the stock speakers.

5."Connectivity with phone was good". Yep, that's a hard one to answer, and you are correct, that's subjective. Probably someone with a similar setup to yours, could answer better. But, in my humble opinion, it works pretty well for me. I have Bluetooth in my Acura, and I much prefer the Parrot Bluetooth, that comes with the Jensen VX6020
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Very much appreciate you taking time to answer my questions. I was pretty well sold but your answers have provided the extra confidence that I'm making a good buy. Sometime this winter, I'll report back with my findings after I've installed the new unit. I understand it'll take Dennis about 4 weeks minimum to mod the bezel for me. So looking like a Dec-Jan install in the winter time. I'll heat up the ol' garage and get after it. Thanks very much. Corvette guys are hands down the most considerate and helpful people I've met. See ya down the road...
Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

After researching for similar units ... thanx to CaDawg for the review! Unfortunately since am here in the northeast... a trip for an install in Georgia wasn't plausible. However did have the Jensen unit at a competitive pricing and had installed locally. The described review was very accurate and loaded with features in other stereos costing twice the average... was well worth it for my needs.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:00 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry for resurrecting a deaf thread but I have this unit and a quick question, do Your buttons light up? Like the menu, the **** and the disc tray?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:25 PM
cadawg
Instructor

Originally Posted by _Wayne_
Sorry for resurrecting a deaf thread but I have this unit and a quick question, do Your buttons light up? Like the menu, the **** and the disc tray?
Just checked, and the menu button, which is directly above the volume ****, does not light up. Nor the disc eject button, which is right above the menu button.

Love this stereo, and one could get to the menu, by either pressing that menu button, which imo is very easy to find, in the dark since it's directly above the volume button, or one could simply press the SRC button on the display, which of course would be lit.

I've had this stereo for a few months now, and to me, choosing it and buying it is an absolute "no brainer". It does everything it's supposed to, and does it very well! This is one of those purchases, where I keep patting my self on the back, for my wisdom!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Good to hear all these bits of great news about this unit. My bezel is at Double D's getting modified to a double din and once its done, I'll get all the stuff shipped here. Really puts me at ease to hear that the unit is top notch. Looking forward to the install soon...

Get notified of new replies

To Jensen VX6020 review

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jensen VX6020 review