Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Amp Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 PM
jimy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Amp Help

Looking at stereo options. I have a technical question. My Zapco Reference 200.2 amp has a hook up diagram that shows two full range speakers and a bridged sub. It shows the full range to be 2 ohm and the sub to be 4 ohm. I think my Focal 165 A1 components are 4 ohm. Do I need to make sure my Focals are 2 or 4 ohm? I never installed a sub this way, I always used a separate amp. Doing this has to be better than the Bose system, right? Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

It's a 2 channel amp that can be bridged as 1 more powerful channel, but you can only use one of those setups at any given time. The ohm ratings are the minimum safe load in each configuration, so you can use 4ohm components in 2-channel setup.

That amp can do one set of components -OR- one sub, not both together.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:10 PM
Coyote58
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished my system in my 2013 convertible
Pioneer avic 8200 nex
JL audio C5 2 way components in the doors
JL Audio MX 600/3 amp. (75 watts x 2. + 400 watt for sub) fits in the same location as the Bose amplifier mounted to a 1/4” ABS plastic plate
JL Audio 8” Stealthboxes behind the seats.
so far I am very pleased with this set up as convertibles offer some xtra challenges.

The amp is a great performer and the mounting location is stealth.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
It's a 2 channel amp that can be bridged as 1 more powerful channel, but you can only use one of those setups at any given time. The ohm ratings are the minimum safe load in each configuration, so you can use 4ohm components in 2-channel setup.

That amp can do one set of components -OR- one sub, not both together.
This.

The power rating for that amp is 50W RMS @ 4 ohms. Those Focals like power (120W RMS), so that amp isn't enough to push them hard. And it only runs 205W RMS at 4 ohms bridged, so it's barely enough to drive a small sub. That is a great amp to drive a pair of mid-ranges (think 3.5" - 5.25" speakers...but not much else. I know a lot of high end audio guys use the Zapco's to just drive their tweeters.

EDIT: Why the hell did this thread get bumped? It's from 5 years ago!

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 06-25-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Amp Help

Quick Reply: Amp Help