Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

difference in subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:39 AM
tc_rain
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default difference in subwoofers

I am looking at a few different subs and was wondering what the real difference is between them. Can someone explain the differences and voice their opinions? Im looking at NVX B.O.O.S.T. NSW104 V2, JL Audio 10W3v3 in the VetteNutts box and the 8W3v3-4 in the Stealthbox. Also does two subs make that much more of a difference over just one? Thanks.

Last edited by tc_rain; 02-27-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:02 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Everyone will have their own opinions, but in a vette a single 10" with about 300w RMS is PLENTY!

If you can fit a 10" (instead of an 8"), then go with the 10.

Make sure you match the sub ratings to the amp ratings. If your amp only puts out 150wRMS, don't buy a sub looking for 600wRMS. Also pay attention to the ohm ratings (dual 2ohm coils = 4ohm mono wired, dual 4ohm coils = 2ohm mono wired, single coils = rated ohms).

I've never heard the NVX

You can't really go wrong with JL subs, just be sure to match the power and ohm ratings to the amp properly. However, there are other subs that sound better.

Figure out your budget and call Dennis at DoubleDmods.com
Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 PM
04DarkShadowGT
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I went cheap on my sub/amp combo. I already had an older alpine mono amp and I went to walmart and picked up a kicker 10" sub in a ported box. It is not the loudest setup I have ever had but it is fine for what I was looking for. Was on clearance for $99. Had wiring and amp already. Bought the harness adapter and sub and done.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:55 PM
bb996+r1
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tc_rain
I am looking at a few different subs and was wondering what the real difference is between them. Can someone explain the differences and voice their opinions? Im looking at NVX B.O.O.S.T. NSW104 V2, JL Audio 10W3v3 in the VetteNutts box and the 8W3v3-4 in the Stealthbox. Also does two subs make that much more of a difference over just one? Thanks.
NVX is Sonicelectronics house brand. Not bad stuff at all.
The NSW104 would be comparable to a WO/W1 by JL.

Look at the VSW102V2 but you are going to need
400-500 watts to drive it well.

I came by a brand last night that I may pick up one of there amps to
play with. The name sounds funny Rockville, but if you look on the net and youtube for $115 it can't be beat.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM
miguelbenitez
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a JL stealthbox with a 10" JL Audio 10W1v3 and it's not loud enough for me, personally. I tried upgrading the sub to a 10W3v3 and it didn't fit in the enclosure. Thought about trying one of the new RF T1 subs but am instead working on purchasing two loaded boxes from vettenutts. If you like loud music then I would say two are definitely better than one but I'm sure for the majority of people, one is plenty. Haven't tried the NVX box but I think they only make it for the driver side, just like JL.

Last edited by miguelbenitez; 11-29-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

they all have a slightly different sound. with JL the good stuff starts at w3 but w1 can be used in lower powered systems. the box just needs to be larger than spec if you want it to sound smooth.

best thing you can do is decide how much space you can give up and go from there

subs are easy honestly, it's the mids and tweets that are really hard to get right . most all of them have one problem or another often brought on by mounting in doors and compounded by reflections in the interior
Old 11-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Plantspike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
Everyone will have their own opinions, but in a vette a single 10" with about 300w RMS is PLENTY!

If you can fit a 10" (instead of an 8"), then go with the 10.

Make sure you match the sub ratings to the amp ratings. If your amp only puts out 150wRMS, don't buy a sub looking for 600wRMS. Also pay attention to the ohm ratings (dual 2ohm coils = 4ohm mono wired, dual 4ohm coils = 2ohm mono wired, single coils = rated ohms).

I've never heard the NVX

You can't really go wrong with JL subs, just be sure to match the power and ohm ratings to the amp properly. However, there are other subs that sound better.

Figure out your budget and call Dennis at DoubleDmods.com

Markcz ia an audio genius and gives out lots of great information for free, Thanks Mark! I tried to get hold of DD mods when I started this process and had no luck. Since then I’ve read lots of posts here about trouble with DD mods. One being that he doesn’t want to do corvettes anymore and wants to focus on Jeeps. Anyway, it seems he’s left a lot of people waiting for systems he put together, sometimes for many months with no replys to attempts at communication even when people were just trying to get their money back. I hope he replys to this. If he doesn’t you might consider not making that recommendation anymore.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 PM
SEA7
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Plantspike
Markcz ia an audio genius and gives out lots of great information for free, Thanks Mark! I tried to get hold of DD mods when I started this process and had no luck. Since then I’ve read lots of posts here about trouble with DD mods. One being that he doesn’t want to do corvettes anymore and wants to focus on Jeeps. Anyway, it seems he’s left a lot of people waiting for systems he put together, sometimes for many months with no replys to attempts at communication even when people were just trying to get their money back. I hope he replys to this. If he doesn’t you might consider not making that recommendation anymore.
Marks last activity was on 6-11-17. I think he's gone also.

Get notified of new replies

To difference in subwoofers

Quick Reply: difference in subwoofers