Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Install Costs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 01:24 AM
JWilson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install Costs

I know most of you do your own installs but I don't have the time or the skill to do it properly. I went to a local very reputable shop for a quote. Here is what I was asking for:

1)Remove stock stereo system
2)Install new Head unit
3)Install XM receiver/antenna
4)Install new separates in the doors
5)Install new Stealthbox
6)Install power antenna
7)Install new 6 ch amp and make custom amp rack that form fits into the car with vinyl
8)Strip out the interior and dynamat the entire car.
9)Tune system

I have all the equipment they are just supplying RCA's and wire and fuse holder ( high end stuff) and the dynamat extreme. The are asking $2000 for the job. Now this seems like a lot of money to me but these guys do very nice work from what I have seen. I also know these guys will not hack up my car. They said they will need my car for a 5 working days to do the sound proofing/install properly. Am I being suspicious or is this price high
Old 09-26-2002, 02:49 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Install Costs (JWilson)

400 a day isnt outrageous. Most charge between 360 -400 a day flat rate.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:39 AM
ZippoMan
Race Director

If it's a top quality job then it doesn't seem too bad. You could probably save about $800 going to a less reputable shop but then the quality and finish may not be up to par with what you had expected. I say spend the extra money and have it done right the first time. Also I am sure there are other high-end shops you can find just to be sure this is a "going rate" for what you have in mind. Be sure to post pics of the final product, I haven't seen too many hardtop stereo systems.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:33 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Install Costs (ZippoMan)

That's only $50 an hour. Most places charge between 50 and 100 an hour around here. If they do good work, go for it. As to one man taking 5 days, that is debatable. It depends on how they do it. It took me 1 day to dynamat my vert. It sounds a little high but if they put two guys on it for 2-3 days, create a custom amp rack, include all wires and kits, etc, its about right. My shop used to charge $75 an hour 10 years ago. We also had multiday jobs, but those were either hairy systems with custom work, or really high end cars like a 59 Rolls Silver Cloud.

[Modified by 92TripleBlack, 8:36 AM 9/26/2002]
Old 09-26-2002, 02:15 PM
luminary
Racer

As everyone has said, the pricing is on par for the time they quoted, but 5 full days seems a bit long to me. I had very similiar work done only no XM receiver/antenna, they built me a custom fiber box instead using a stealthbox, and installed an alarm system...

Dropped it off on a tues morning and picked it up first thing on thursday. 5 days seems long to me. Sounds to me like they're just charging you a daily rate and figuring that they will be working on other cars at the same time.

Ultimately though, consider the quality of their work and decide if it's worth $2k. If so, do it. If not, find another place. If they're a reputable shop, talk to them about your concern. They shouldn't have a problem with justifying their quote to you if it's legit. When I talked to mine about my install before they did it, they were totally cool about breaking down the costs and such. I knew exactly who was going to be doing what on the car, and approximately how long they were going to take.

one other thing to keep in mind...I've heard of many shops that will charge a higher install rate if you're using your own gear and not purchasing from them.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:42 PM
dexter
Team Owner

I'll second or third what everyone else has said. Also, you indicated that they're supplying the dynamat extreme - it's what I've got in my car, but it's very expensive and, since I had mine done 2 years ago, there are several cheaper alternatives.

Get notified of new replies

To Install Costs

Quick Reply: Install Costs