Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suggestion for a Headunit from DD Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 10:28 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks,

but why why are the left numbers larger? Aren’t you closer to the left sitting in the car? Wouldn’t this make them shorter distance?

One another nore, I registered my radio on Alpines navigation ap/ website. There is a late 2017 ap update I got for free, moving forward the map updates if you choose to do them are $59.99 for the USA then add 8-10 for the 3D option if you choose.

there is also a firmware update for my unit (non-HDMI). I need to apply that too.

No work in the garage for for a few days. It was 36 yesterday so I have the radio in and my dash pad in.

26 today so not doing anything
Old 12-23-2017, 11:24 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Yeah, you are adjusting for where you are sitting in the car, front left of center. Thanks for the heads up on the updates.

How does the Alpine look in your C4? Did you get the installation into the dash all finished? I miss my C4!!!
Old 12-23-2017, 11:49 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

The radio is in but I still need to finish the bezel. And get the whole dash bolted in. Picture would look like the one a few posts up still.

I have my XM antenna on the dash currently but thinking of moving it to the back of the car. I was think of mounting it on the gas door or under the bumper. Not sure yet. I will try it on the dash first.

still have a bunch to do and I have been debating on adding a Delayed accessory bus. Might do that while it is apart
Old 01-10-2018, 10:54 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

this looks interesting:

Sony XAV-AX5000 Mechless.. seems like it could be a nice unit if it follows the lineage for the XAV-ax100

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-...ers/xav-ax5000
The following users liked this post:
90Fun (01-13-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
this looks interesting:

Sony XAV-AX5000 Mechless.. seems like it could be a nice unit if it follows the lineage for the XAV-ax100

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-...ers/xav-ax5000
That does look nice. It would still be all about the sound for me, so it would be interesting to audition.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 PM
aceinthesky
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Is DD still in business, looking to get a 2330nex for a c6 lt1 installation. Just need to know what plug and play connectors to use and installation kit. I was hoping DD was still around to save me some time and get everything I need at once.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by aceinthesky
Is DD still in business, looking to get a 2330nex for a c6 lt1 installation. Just need to know what plug and play connectors to use and installation kit. I was hoping DD was still around to save me some time and get everything I need at once.
it is done for. You can read about it in the transactions forum but I wouldn't recommend trying to order from them.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:25 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by aceinthesky
go to crutchfield, add your car year/sound system (bose/non bose).

add 2330 to cart

they will suggest two different setups - one will retain onstar/steering controls, the other will not.

Pick the one you want.

They will also offer pre-connected harnesses.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:09 PM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahrmike
go to crutchfield, add your car year/sound system (bose/non bose).

add 2330 to cart

they will suggest two different setups - one will retain onstar/steering controls, the other will not.

Pick the one you want.

They will also offer pre-connected harnesses.
Unfortunately crutchfield is pricey. I'm in same market. The ddx9704s is like 470 on sites. But with them it's 650 and they don't match. But I do like bow they prep the harness.

I might buy just the Pac harness. Just not sure if I can figure out how to connect it all with which wires. I have a solder gun. But I have a feeling directions or diagram will be crazy for me
Old 02-23-2018, 08:57 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
That does look nice. It would still be all about the sound for me, so it would be interesting to audition.
I will probably get this one for my son's car. He is getting grandma's 2010 Golf (not GTI) when he turns 16
Old 03-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mggray87
Unfortunately crutchfield is pricey. I'm in same market. The ddx9704s is like 470 on sites. But with them it's 650 and they don't match. But I do like bow they prep the harness.

I might buy just the Pac harness. Just not sure if I can figure out how to connect it all with which wires. I have a solder gun. But I have a feeling directions or diagram will be crazy for me
Its actually really simple. the PAC unit goes from the OEM harness to color coded wires which will more than likely match the aftermarket unit's wires. Looks way more complicated than ti is- 8 wires for 4 speakers (color coded, match the white stripes properly for correct phase), illumination, ebrake, ground, power, switched power, remote, reverse...and thats it!

Make sure the PAC steering wheel control works with the head unit youre purchasing. Also, be warned- the PAC unit QC kind of sucks. I had to return mine once since it had a broken SWC output.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 PM
mggray87
Racer

Originally Posted by Ahrmike
Its actually really simple. the PAC unit goes from the OEM harness to color coded wires which will more than likely match the aftermarket unit's wires. Looks way more complicated than ti is- 8 wires for 4 speakers (color coded, match the white stripes properly for correct phase), illumination, ebrake, ground, power, switched power, remote, reverse...and thats it!

Make sure the PAC steering wheel control works with the head unit youre purchasing. Also, be warned- the PAC unit QC kind of sucks. I had to return mine once since it had a broken SWC output.

do you think im going to need Ground Isolators? or should I do it without first. you make it sound so easy lol. im going to solder the wires then Heat shrink Tubing. I may be messaging you. I think the color to color on PAC to Kenwood Harness is gonna be easy to see. its the things im reading and confused on especially for steering controls. I have to tap in specific wires that are in the dash or center console. and unclear where those are and I don't wanna cut and tap in a complete wrong wire LOL. also hoping to run my BT mic up the pillar on driver side. if its easy otherwise not sure where to put it.

I have a feeling ill be shooting u a message LOL

Last edited by mggray87; 03-02-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:09 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

do you think im going to need Ground Isolators? or should I do it without first. you make it sound so easy lol. im going to solder the wires then Heat shrink Tubing. I may be messaging you. I think the color to color on PAC to Kenwood Harness is gonna be easy to see. its the things im reading and confused on especially for steering controls. I have to tap in specific wires that are in the dash or center console. and unclear where those are and I don't wanna cut and tap in a complete wrong wire LOL. also hoping to run my BT mic up the pillar on driver side. if its easy otherwise not sure where to put it.

I always use the GLI's and no noise...
Old 03-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
it is done for. You can read about it in the transactions forum but I wouldn't recommend trying to order from them.
Wheres the transaction forum?
Old 03-11-2018, 12:53 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

I didn't use any GLIs but i think if i did it again I would install them. During my first install, the PAc unit was touching some metal sensor/ecu unit thing behind the ash tray and it would whine like mad during specific RPMs. when I replaced my faulty PAC unit (steering control issue), I installed it in this little cubby-area in the back right (passenger side) of the console. With the wires coiled under them, it isolated it nicely from the sensor. It does NOT make whiney noises for me anymore but YMMV.

What year corvette do you have? I didnt have to tap into anything in the dahs - straight connections from the HU->pac->factory harness. The factory harness for mine had everything necessary. I think the factory unit doesnt have a "speed sensor" wire though. I do remember reading on some DD threads that he recommends tapping into a speed or illumination wire but at least for my c6, it was not necessary.

I had the same idea w. the bluetooth mic but it doesnt fit properly in the OEM location unless you cut the mic harness and re-connect to the OEM unit. The mic that comes with most head units are the little clip/lavalier type mic and the OEM mic is the flat round thing you see on the A pillar. The housing is integrated into the mic itself so you wont be able to remove it cleanly.

I ran my mic past the OEM mic and have it located on the driver side of the rear view mirror. Tested it while driving and as long as you aim the mic at you, its perfect. Also, since its near the rear view mirror you wont notice it at all!

Its kind of a pain to wire it though - you will have to remove the drivers side kick panel to gain access to the wiring harnesses that route that way.

Send me a PM if you have more questions! i only came across this again because I was updating my older threads that the 2010+ bose "subwoofers" are low pass filtered so you cant easily swap in a 6.5

Last edited by Ahrmike; 03-11-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 AM
mggray87
Racer

wellhopefully I don't need them cause I didn't order any as a just in case and radio shacks are hard to come around these days.. closing down. so I wouldn't know wherw to get them if I need them tomorrow.. and I don't wanna leave my console apart for days lol
Old 04-07-2018, 09:55 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Radio is in. XM works great. FM had great reception, get the car out and drops quality and gets staticky. I have replaced the antenna ground strap, but not tested

Display needs adjusting, need to find it there is a setting..

Picture:

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestion for a Headunit from DD Mods

Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Georgies
Wheres the transaction forum?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-feedback-153/
Old 04-08-2018, 10:13 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
I will probably get this one for my son's car. He is getting grandma's 2010 Golf (not GTI) when he turns 16
Gosh, that is right around the corner for me, too. When I bought my Z06 my now 14 year old son said, "Dad, can I have that car when I go to high school?" LOL, he said that with all seriousness. I said, son, you lucky if you get a Honda Civic.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

SO I figured here would be the best place to ask..

Noticed today that there is what seems to sound like white noise that follows RPM of the motor.. As I drive the more intense the noise is, as the car comes to an idle it is not there as much. I have the MiniDSP in the car, but not connected to the audio, however the MiniDSP is powering on and controlling the remote lines. I did this when I was troubleshooting what ended up being a gain thing. I might reconnect the audio (simple enough) and see if it clears it up.

I noticed with key on Engine not running I have a higher that I am used to noise floor, going to lower the amp gains to minimize that

Any other thoughts to the white/pink type noise? I think the Antenna ground strap replacement helped