Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dreaded Ign Whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 05:23 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Dreaded Ign Whine

Just removed my 5 ch amp as i wanted a better sound in which my new/used amp gives me...Boston Acoustic GT-42
But now im getting what some refer to as alt whine in speaker's... Grounds and other conn seem ? fine, and all i did was a swap from one amp to another..
Should i be looking for a ground issue not good enough ? or other wire issue.

Last edited by carls2004; 07-29-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:03 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Consider checking the RCA cables. If they are run near the remote turn on wire or power cable, it can induce noise. Also consider upgrading to directional RCA cables. My two cents.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:40 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start by reducing the gains on the amplifier...
Old 08-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Just pick up a ground loop isolator and be done with it.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:38 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Just pick up a ground loop isolator and be done with it.
And dont most of tho's degrade the sound. ? Just like my whine
Old 08-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by carls2004
And dont most of tho's degrade the sound. ? Just like my whine
Never heard of such a thing (unless you are using maybe the worst GLI's). I have used GLI's for a long time in many system installs and never heard any negative affect on the sound quality.

While it might be "best" to eliminate what is causing the group loop, it is just so much easier just to pick up ground loop isolator and call it a day.

Just did this in my corvette. Did a complete install and didn't have whine for like the 2 weeks and then I replaced the PAC unit (rp5-gm11 to the rp4-gm11). Instead of ripping it out I just picked up a pair for GLI's, hooked it up and the whine was gone. No change in the audio quality.
The following users liked this post:
carls2004 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:57 AM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
Consider checking the RCA cables. If they are run near the remote turn on wire or power cable, it can induce noise. Also consider upgrading to directional RCA cables. My two cents.
So directional wire's .. I currently have Stinger SI4612 going from head unit to amp... They advertise them as Directional twisted-pair construction,,, BUT i dont see any marking's on cable to indicate that they are made for a signal path in one direction ??????????????...

But then other's claim that directional wire's in car audio is all bull .... just to push sale's. ????

Last edited by carls2004; 08-20-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Tone
Racer

I think in your case the correct fix is to eliminate the ground loop. In rare cases if you have a Pioneer head unit you may have blown the pico fuse and have engine whine as a result. Assuming that is not the case you should ground all your components to a single point (including a line from the battery, headunit, other external equalizers etc, and amplifiers). This is assuming you have run all your rca cables far away from any power wires - because that can cause engine whine in of itself.

Last edited by Tone; 08-29-2017 at 12:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
carls2004 (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:03 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tone
I think in your case the correct fix is to eliminate the ground loop. In rare cases if you have a Pioneer head unit you may have blown the pico fuse and have engine whine as a result. Assuming that is not the case you should ground all your components to a single point (including a line from the battery, headunit, other external equalizers etc, and amplifiers). This is assuming you have run all your rca cables far away from any power wires - because that can cause engine whine in of itself.
So your saying ground all at one single point.??.
If so and to keep amp ground wire short i would then need to run another ground all the way from the battery back to that grounding point. And also the head unit ??..
My main positive run's into veh from PDC and down pass side of veh to amp just behind rear seat partition.. And speaker wires run along tunnel, including remote wire that i have shielded in rubber vac hose...
Oh, I have a Alpine 960HDMI head unit in veh now..

Last edited by carls2004; 08-29-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:56 PM
Tone
Racer

So your saying ground all at one single point.??. Yes.

If so and to keep amp ground wire short i would then need to run another ground all the way from the battery back to that grounding point. And also the head unit ??.. Yes, and with your equipment I'd use 4 AWG for that run in your case, and 16 AWG to your head unit.

Alternatively: You can run a good solid 4 AWG ground to your chassis from the amp, then make that your ground point and add a solid 8 AWG or thicker connection between your engine block and the chassis, the alternator housing and the chassis, and also your battery and the chassis. Then run a 16 AWG from the head unit to that same ground point.

My main positive run's into veh from PDC and down pass side of veh to amp just behind rear seat partition.. And speaker wires run along tunnel, including remote wire that i have shielded in rubber vac hose... I'd be more concerned about where the rca lines are in relation to the vehicle's factory power lines or your power line to the amp - as TheProsecutor already mentioned.

Oh, I have a Alpine 960HDMI head unit in veh now.. That eliminates the pico issue possibility.

Anyway - it's been my experience that doing what I've mentioned electrically works for engine whine issues. Another thing I do is run powerful amplifiers like yours so the gains are never turned up more than half way for mids and tweets. For example: on my wife's car stereo (which is grounded to a single point on the chassis) I recently turned down the amplifier gains from about 3/4 to halfway because of faint engine noise through the tweeters and it went away completely.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:23 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

I was able to add my own ground at the head unit and ran the wire back to my amp ground location. And walla all my noise is gone..

Last edited by carls2004; 09-02-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded Ign Whine

Quick Reply: Dreaded Ign Whine