Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What should I expect to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Default What should I expect to pay?

Hey guys, I am looking for some install advice and/or guidance. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much I should expect to pay for a professional installation. It's for just the labor, I have all the parts. It's for a 2012 GS with the battery in the back.

Here's the parts:
1: I have a sub in a box for the rear
2: 5 channel amp which will probably go behind passenger seat
3: component speakers to replace the door tweeter and woofer with Metra door kit
4: coaxial 5.25 for the rear.

I also have the amp kit, RCA cables, and speaker wire. Any rough ideas as far as install costs? I already have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit installed. Thanks.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-22-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you thought about installing it yourself? You have all the parts and it shouldn't take that long to install.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Have you thought about installing it yourself? You have all the parts and it shouldn't take that long to install.
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to me to have someone install it or I do it myself. It all depends on the cost really. I will probably go to my local audio shop sometime this week for an estimate, but I just wanted to get an idea of a ballpark or fair price before I go there. Any educated guesses would be much appreciated.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:36 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

around $40 an hour. usually they do install deals if you buy all gear from the shop. that way they make money on the sale and can give you a lower install price. if you bought elsewhere and the installer makes $20 an hour the shop will want $50 an hour for his time

imo i'd pay for the crap jobs. auto transmission flushes etc. stereo install is easy work. if you're well off i'd say pay but if $300 or so is still enough to make you think.. i'd work for the day if i were you if the quote you get is where i expect it to be

Last edited by racebum; 08-23-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Usmc041127
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The way I look at it. They will most likely do a better job. If I do it, it will be ok but in the back of my mind I will know all the flaws because it wont be perfect and eat at me. I think of how much work I would have to do working to pay for it. Generally I pay to have most of my stuff done anymore. Locally my audio shop charges 60.00 an hour. However they do flawless work. If its not perfect they make it perfect. All the employees are well seasoned and been doing this work for many years.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:43 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Update: I went to my local audio shop. Super disappointed. Brought all the stuff I have to get a rough idea of what he would charge for the install. After going over everything and amp placement and so on and so forth. He told me he charges $75 an hour and to expect an 8 hour job but no guarantees that there won't be any unforeseen problems that can run it over 8 hours. Tried talking him down and agreeing on a fixed price but that was a no go. So first estimate is roughly $600 or maybe more. So that's not happening.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:56 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Some shops in Florida charge double when you bring in your own gear. It is reasonable since half of the profit is in the equipment. $500-$600 seems reasonable.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:15 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
Some shops in Florida charge double when you bring in your own gear. It is reasonable since half of the profit is in the equipment. $500-$600 seems reasonable.
$75 an hour or $600+, sounds like a little much to me. I was willing to do $60 an hour but he wasn't ok with that. Some people would rather sit there making no money because $60 an hour is not worth there time.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:20 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

I don't agree with that logic either. They don't profit on the equipment, so they charge you double so it can be equivalent to selling you equipment that they never sold you? That sounds like stealing. I can understand they give a reduced rate for there own equipment sales, but I would avoid the places you mentioned also just out of principle.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-23-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:42 PM
racebum
Race Director

that happens. 40-50 an hour if you buy from them, 75 if you don't

have heard it before. was why i was saying it's worth paying for crap jobs but audio is easy and 600 is a chunk of change
Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racebum
that happens. 40-50 an hour if you buy from them, 75 if you don't

have heard it before. was why i was saying it's worth paying for crap jobs but audio is easy and 600 is a chunk of change
I hear ya. There is still a few more places I'm gonna try. I should be able to find someone to work with me a little with price. If not and it comes down to it, I will do it myself, but when is the question. I was hoping to not eat up a weekend and have someone else do it. You would think $500 cash for a days work installing some stereo equipment would be a good thing but people turn their nose to it. I make a good living but I know a lot of guys with college degrees that don't make $500 a day. I know others that work their *** off all week to bring home $500 for the week. Don't mind me, I'm just venting. But now this guy also loses all future business with me too. Nobody ever takes that into consideration. Venting done. I will keep you guys posted how the next one goes.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-23-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:01 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I hear ya. There is still a few more places I'm gonna try. I should be able to find someone to work with me a little with price. If not and it comes down to it, I will do it myself, but when is the question. I was hoping to not eat up a weekend and have someone else do it. You would think $500 cash for a days work installing some stereo equipment would be a good thing but people turn their nose to it. I make a good living but I know a lot of guys with college degrees that don't make $500 a day. I know others that work their *** off all week to bring home $500 for the week. Don't mind me, I'm just venting. But now this guy also loses all future business with me too. Nobody ever takes that into consideration. Venting done. I will keep you guys posted how the next one goes.
good businesses do

some don't care. often times they don't last long
Old 08-23-2017, 11:12 PM
Medicdiver
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

At my shop we charge 1.5x normal rate for customer supplied parts, and with no warranty. The increase is not to make up for lost mark up on parts, but rather lost time. When we supply parts we guarantee the work parts and labor. When a customer supplies parts we spend more time looking for missing parts, wrong parts, repairing used parts they brought. Only exception is if the customer parts can be verified as correct for the application, and sealed in original packing. Too many times people rip open the package and attempt the job themselves, only to find out they aren't as good as they think. Once the package is open they loose parts, cut wires too short, or get the wrong parts. Then you waste time stopping while they locate the missing/ damaged/ incorrect parts. Time = money. If I supply the parts, it's my time wasted when it isn't correct. You supply the parts it's your money wasted when it's wrong. We have operated with this policy since the boom of the internet and online buying. We stay booked 2 weeks in advance with no problems. Good shops with skilled professionals stay busy, and should have a policy like this. No offense I wouldn't have even considered your offer of $60/ hour to do it, that would have ended the conversation. I get more than $60/hr at home doing side jobs. I would quote the install as a flat rate, not per hour, but it would be non negotiable with customer supplied parts. The price you were quoted doesn't sound high if it's a legit shop that does good work.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:33 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Let me also say, you get what you pay for in car audio.
Best buy could do it for $300-$400, but would you want them to?
Best Buy prices would be about $40 for the sub, $150 for the 5 channel amp, $99 for component speakers, $65 for the coaxials for the rear, so about $350. For a decent installer add another $100.

I think the 8 hours is high, 6 hours, is more like it. 6 hours at $75 per hour with a decent local shop would be, $450 and worth it.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:40 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

To Medicdiver, In my case everything is new in box. No offense but everyone always says they are the best and their work is untouchable. Heard it all before, always an excuse to charge top dollar. More often than not in life I am having to go back and repair their mess or to find out their standards were not up to par after they have already been paid. So called professionals more often than not charge $100 an hour, so they can pay someone $10 an hour to do the job while they sit on there ***. No offense to you or your business, but if someone typicallly charges $75, than $60 cash is not unreasonable. He was willing to accept cash a cash deal and cut out the tax, so the cash deal wasn't the problem.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-23-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:46 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Let me also say, you get what you pay for in car audio.
Best buy could do it for $300-$400, but would you want them to?
Best Buy prices would be about $40 for the sub, $150 for the 5 channel amp, $99 for component speakers, $65 for the coaxials for the rear, so about $350. For a decent installer add another $100.

I think the 8 hours is high, 6 hours, is more like it. 6 hours at $75 per hour with a decent local shop would be, $450 and worth it.
I agree, I was good up to $500. Was hoping for a little less. $600 with no guarantee that it wasn't going to be more, no matter what anyone says, I think that is too high for the job involved. And 6 hours sounds about right to me, IMO.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:50 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Update: I started doing the install myself today. Hopefully I can finish up tomorrow. So far I did the doors, removing the subs and 3.5"s and replaced with 6.5" components and ran new wires to where I expect to install the amp. Also ran the RCA cables and trigger wire from the head unit to the amp location and replaced one of the rear speakers and ran wires for that before running out of time. Had to call it a day because I had dinner plans. I will see tomorrow if I have time to finish it up. I still have to do the amp and one more rear speaker and finish putting the car back together. The sub will be last and real simple plug and play because it will be right next to the amp. I need to still get a microphone for time alignment. Any suggestions on a microphone and/or tips for time alignment? Never did that before either.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-26-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What should I expect to pay?

Old 08-26-2017, 10:54 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
TorchRedFred (08-26-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:02 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I agree, I was good up to $500. Was hoping for a little less. $600 with no guarantee that it wasn't going to be more, no matter what anyone says, I think that is too high for the job involved. And 6 hours sounds about right to me, IMO.

really

$100 an hour tax free is a great wage and that's what you're paying yourself
Old 08-27-2017, 05:43 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Thanks everyone. I got everything installed. I only had a few minutes to mess with settings, so I didn't get a chance to dial everything in. Will have some more time tomorrow. It took me about 9 hours to do the job. But in my defense it was my first time running wires and installing an amp and sub. I have swapped speakers in a couple of other cars and a couple head units before over the years, but nothing this in depth. Figuring out the amp power wire and ground took me a little extra time. Also the first door I did took more time then expected, but flew through the second one. Lots of lost time trying to figure out steps and just over thinking things trying to make sure I was doing it right. I still have to get a mic for time alignment to complete all the adjustments.

Quick Reply: What should I expect to pay?