Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Wiring new head unit

Old 01-17-2018, 03:56 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wiring new head unit

Dang, I thought this was going to be a lot easier. I’ve never installed a stereo before. So I bought a complete set up from Crutchfield. New double din HU, speakers, amp, and two cameras.
I got the box last night and today started looking it over. I thought the HU wiring was plug and play with the harness they sent however it appears I have about 10 wires to find and splice into.
Where do you find all of these wires?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:03 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

I think I figured it out. Two harnesses need to be connected together. So simple but not if you've never done it. Instructions leave a lot out.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:47 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Impropercrane
I think I figured it out. Two harnesses need to be connected together. So simple but not if you've never done it. Instructions leave a lot out.
Do not hesitate to call Crutchfield. They are absolutely the best when it comes to technical support and they have a large team of techs and they are on hand for any installation issues you may run into.

I just installed a new Pioneer HU along with a backup camera and it was fairly easy. I did have a couple of hickups and they were very helpful at getting me back on track. (although I just found out that my drivers door speaker isn't working so I have to troubleshoot that).
Old 01-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

I figured it out. I just got a little overwhelmed by all the wires and didn’t see they just connected the two harnesses. Once I realized that, it was good. I got it all connected, head unit works good and got the rear camera hooked up today. Tomorrow I do the front camera.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:12 PM
JimInPA
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Impropercrane
I figured it out. I just got a little overwhelmed by all the wires and didn’t see they just connected the two harnesses. Once I realized that, it was good. I got it all connected, head unit works good and got the rear camera hooked up today. Tomorrow I do the front camera.
Glad you got it going. Step by step instructions for next time...

Old 01-25-2018, 04:36 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,447 Likes on 754 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Go slow; read and read and understand each wire, and yes as others noted, Crutchfield is incredible. I had a question about (1) wire in the bunch at 4pm CST and they had someone manning the phone who answered my question in seconds.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

I did call them and they are very helpful. Actually the tech emailed me a picture to show me where one wire was.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring new head unit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring new head unit