Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help on c6 speaker selection/setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

It CAN...but usually only at very long lengths. The heavier the gauge, the less it matters. Take 10 minutes and read the article I linked in post #97. It's really good stuff.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:58 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
It CAN...but usually only at very long lengths. The heavier the gauge, the less it matters. Take 10 minutes and read the article I linked in post #97. It's really good stuff.
Just read the article and that was helpful. I’ll order my speaker wire and should be good to go. The only other thing I don’t know where to get is the connectors for the speaker wire to speaker or do the focals happen to come with them?

Last edited by jmoney127; 04-16-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Yes, they should come with connectors already. The problem I ran into is that the connectors for my speakers are for 18-14 gauge wire. I have to modify them (or source new ones) to make them work. Another way is to run 10 gauge from the amp to the crossover and then 14 gauge to the speakers themselves. Since it's not a long distance at all, it shouldn't matter to run the smaller gauge wire just to the woofer/tweeter. Food for thought.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:30 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoney127

So the length of wire from amp to speaker affects the SQ?
Possibly and can have a dramatic effect on the amplifier itself. Think of it this way. The amplifier is a cannister of pressurized water. The speaker wire is the opening for the pressurized water to get out. The larger gauge wire is a bigger opening for the "water" to get out and your amplifier doesn't have to work as hard to push the water out. The resistance of your speakers, 4 ohm or 8 ohm for example is more like your amplifier as a bathtub full of water and the resistance of the speaker the size of the opening to get out. The lower the resistance the larger the opening. Too low of resistance and it can give your amplifier problems.

As an example wire up an amplifier rated stable into a 4 ohm load to speaker with 2 ohms of resistance using 50 ft of 18 gauge wire and if pushed, your amp will go into thermal shutdown. Take that same amp and wire it to an 8 ohm speaker with 10 ft of 10 gauge wire and she will run cool as a cucumber.

As far as sound quality, the biggest difference I have noticed in an A/B comparison between thin gauge and thick gauge wire using a pink noise generator is a drop off of low frequencies so yes I believe it has an effect on sound quality. It is definitely not a place to skimp anyway. Most of my systems have run 12 gauge or larger.
The following users liked this post:
06nine (04-20-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 04:40 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
Possibly and can have a dramatic effect on the amplifier itself. Think of it this way. The amplifier is a cannister of pressurized water. The speaker wire is the opening for the pressurized water to get out. The larger gauge wire is a bigger opening for the "water" to get out and your amplifier doesn't have to work as hard to push the water out. The resistance of your speakers, 4 ohm or 8 ohm for example is more like your amplifier as a bathtub full of water and the resistance of the speaker the size of the opening to get out. The lower the resistance the larger the opening. Too low of resistance and it can give your amplifier problems.

As an example wire up an amplifier rated stable into a 4 ohm load to speaker with 2 ohms of resistance using 50 ft of 18 gauge wire and if pushed, your amp will go into thermal shutdown. Take that same amp and wire it to an 8 ohm speaker with 10 ft of 10 gauge wire and she will run cool as a cucumber.

As far as sound quality, the biggest difference I have noticed in an A/B comparison between thin gauge and thick gauge wire using a pink noise generator is a drop off of low frequencies so yes I believe it has an effect on sound quality. It is definitely not a place to skimp anyway. Most of my systems have run 12 gauge or larger.
I think I will order a roll of high quality 12 gauge wire. Have you had any issues with the connectors and the larger diameter wire? Just trying to get absolutely everything I need so the install goes smoothly and I don’t need to run around locally to try and get random stuff

Last edited by jmoney127; 04-16-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:18 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Ordered a 50’ roll of 12ga Knuconcept wire and some 10/12guage terminal connectors, hopefully they’re the right size for the speakers. If everything gets here by Friday I am planning on doing everything this weekend. I will try to take pictures throughout and do a small write up on my thoughts of the system, how I wired everything, as well as the dynamat/ensolite combo for reducing road noise as vibrations.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:59 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Good options, good info, keep it coming... I've a '08 Vert.

It seems there are quite a few of us in the same boat. I too am looking to change the HU, and ALL the speakers.

PLAN:
- Pioneer HU paired with 4 chnl amp, the amp supports the front component speakers, and 6.5" set of rear 2-way speakers (for fill sound).
- A 2nd amp would be used to install slim Sub behind the waterfall...OR a self-powered sub directly hooked with the HU.

Concerns are ~ How to install the 6.5" front component speakers in a 10" OEM Bose cavity? How to fill the cavity and installation?
How to install a 6.5" 2-way as a fill speaker in the rear?
What self-powered sub/tube to use that would fit flush behind the waterfall / or seats?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

These: https://www.corvettemods.com/C6-Corv...n_p_18008.html

Or these:https://www.nakidparts.com/corvette-speaker-mounts

I went with the 2nd set.

You wont need 6.5s in the rear as the 5.25 will be plenty "bright" when amplified. Subs really come down to preference. How big and bad do you want...or how neat and organized. Stealth boxes are pretty popular and should be more than enough for the average enthusiast.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 04-17-2018 at 08:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (04-18-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmoney127

I think I will order a roll of high quality 12 gauge wire. Have you had any issues with the connectors and the larger diameter wire? Just trying to get absolutely everything I need so the install goes smoothly and I don’t need to run around locally to try and get random stuff
Nope, you just have to get the right size female spade terminals that will accept that larger gauge. In a real pinch, I have also taken the larger gauge wire, stripped it back 1/2 inch or so and then trimmed enough strands out of the stripped section to get it to insert into the connector for crimping. Not the preferred way, but the make it work way in a pinch.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Here is an example if you are looking for the connectors to attach speaker wires to speakers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-YELLOW-...-/352211234727
Old 04-17-2018, 10:54 AM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
Here is an example if you are looking for the connectors to attach speaker wires to speakers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-YELLOW-...-/352211234727
Thats what I ordered with the speaker wire yesterday
Old 04-18-2018, 02:01 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I went with the 2nd set.

You wont need 6.5s in the rear as the 5.25 will be plenty "bright" when amplified. Subs really come down to preference. How big and bad do you want...or how neat and organized. Stealth boxes are pretty popular and should be more than enough for the average enthusiast.
^ The 2nd link seems to be helpful. I've sent them a message, and will order the mount needed to replace the OEM speakers with 6.5" components.

So, I already have these NEW (I like them) - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-LZ5Cxi...nce-6002i.html

What do I do with them? I'm looking for component speakers (2 way with separate tweeters), so can't use these in the fronts - I thought I'd use them in the rear then...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 04-18-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:25 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

You may be able to make them fit in the rear...but it will take some work. I myself have never tried and I'm unfamiliar if there are adapters out there. So it may take some research on your part...or being the first guy to do it.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:44 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

I went with the 2nd set.

I actually used the plates in the second link from nakidparts. They worked great and are rigid enough that the mid bass punch coming from my doors is phenomenal.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Got my Knuconcepts 12ga speaker wire today and the quality looks excellent. More flexible than I thought it would be so I shouldn’t have any issues getting everything wired. Other question is what gauge wire should be run from amp to sub? I figure I should check that while I have everything out. That 10w3v3 I dropped in there sounds night and day better than that kicker, just need to get the dynamat and ensolite down to reduce some of the rattles
Old 04-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

8/10 gauge is ideal/overkill for the sub...but as long as it's not smaller than a high quality 16 gauge, you should be fine. Sky high audio 16 gauge is actually misleading...it's built like a 10 gauge.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 PM
jmoney127
Pro

8/10 gauge is ideal/overkill for the sub...but as long as it's not smaller than a high quality 16 gauge, you should be fine. Sky high audio 16 gauge is actually misleading...it's built like a 10 gauge.
Any tips of tricks when running the speaker wire to the doors? Should I follow the console on both sides, up over the footwells and then to the doors or run it traditionally under the door kick plate/trim on each side and right into the doors?

Get notified of new replies

To Help on c6 speaker selection/setup

Old 04-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Your call really man. Run it to the most convenient places for you. A straightened out wire coat hanger through the door "accordion" or "conduit" helps run the wire through the doors. The only "foul" would to be running it on top of (or in extreme close proximity to)your power wires. At the same time...you'd be hard pressed to "hear" that feed back. One things for sure...keep your RCAs WELL AWAY from the power and ground wires. You'll get interference from hell.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Your call really man. Run it to the most convenient places for you. A straightened out wire coat hanger through the door "accordion" or "conduit" helps run the wire through the doors. The only "foul" would to be running it on top of (or in extreme close proximity to)your power wires. At the same time...you'd be hard pressed to "hear" that feed back. One things for sure...keep your RCAs WELL AWAY from the power and ground wires. You'll get interference from hell.
My rca cables go straight up to be HU as far as I know and my battery is in the corner since it’s a Z. I think I’ll run my wires around the wall on both sides and then into the door. Unfortunately my speakers won’t be here until Monday so I may have to get everything sound deadened, run the wires into the doors, put everything back together and do the doors next week sometime. That’s what I get for ordering them from Europe I guess. I think the only other thing I need to confirm is disconnecting the bose system. Can I just unplug the amp and then everything is good to go or do I need to disconnect all the speakers too?
Old 04-20-2018, 06:39 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Got the focals in the mail today, pretty impressive to get here in four days all the way from Italy. First impression of them is very good, you can tell they are extremely well built and attention to detail is top notch. Definitely look higher quality than the JL speakers I have experience with. Can’t wait to get everything put in and wired up. I’ll be stripping the interior tomorrow and installing all the new audio stuff as well as putting dynamat xtreme and ensolite down. I will report back with a brief review and may try and do a write up on the install if I think it would help others

Quick Reply: Help on c6 speaker selection/setup