Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New system - pretty close to picked out

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:15 PM
biggator6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New system - pretty close to picked out

As mentioned in other threads.. have had my C6 for a long time, but just finally decided that it needed a tech refresh. If I'm going to swap the head unit, lets get rid of the bose.

So far:
Kenwood DMX7704s - multimedia receiver.
JL Audio XD500/3v2 (will fit in the stock location)
JL Audio Stealthbox

Will be picking out some 6.5" components for the doors and skipping the center/rears. Likely Polk or Morel.

Will also throw in some deadening on the doors and some insulation around the console so it'll stop cooking my leg and my phone.. probably do a backup camera too.

Any other recommendations? Thoughts?

Old 09-20-2018, 05:18 PM
biggator6
Instructor

Stupid follow up to myself.

in this thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...p-by-step.html
At step 14 he mentions having roughly 12x7.5x5 of space for the amp... the XD is only about 8.5x7x2.. but when I look in my car, it looks like there's less space than that. It looks like there's only about 5.5" width..

Can anyone confirm that the XD will fit where the bose was, or am I going to have to put it somewhere else?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:03 PM
biggator6
Instructor

So - system is basically done. Have to bring it back to the installer for a couple of tweaks, but it's in.

I went with a stealthbox I grabbed off ebay.. looks like a vettenuts one with a JL in it. Went with the DMX7704s head unit. Ended up going with Hybrid Audio Tech Imagine components up front and a JL XD500/3v2 amp to power it on. I left the center and rears disconnected. Added some deadening to the doors and some deadening/insulation around the console to stop my leg and phone from cooking.

First off - if you cut out the bottom of the bracket like in the thread above, the JL fits. it's a bit tight, but it fits. Mounting it is tricky, but there's room.

The JL 10" sub and the HAT components sound phenomenal together.. great smooth sound (not abrasive like some tweeters) with minimal tweaking, and plenty of low end. Stereo separation/imagine is great.. overall, quite pleased.

oh, and the main reason for this upgrade was the head unit - getting bluetooth, android auto, etc all in the car is so nice. It's like having a new car.

Last edited by biggator6; 10-13-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:29 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Ive found that headunit for as low as $369.99

how smooth is it now that its installed?
is the android auto by cable (always plugged in) or BT ?

ALSO!!!!! did you install a Pac module to retain the steering wheel controls?

Reason i like this one is because its replacement has NO cd player.....being as i still have 5000 CDs i like to still be Ble to pop one in

Last edited by ~STOLEN~; 10-22-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:28 PM
biggator6
Instructor

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
Ive found that headunit for as low as $369.99

how smooth is it now that its installed?
is the android auto by cable (always plugged in) or BT ?

ALSO!!!!! did you install a Pac module to retain the steering wheel controls?

Reason i like this one is because its replacement has NO cd player.....being as i still have 5000 CDs i like to still be Ble to pop one in
That's what i paid for it.

I have a pile of CDs too, but don't want to carry them in this car. MP3 is good enough. It's plug-in AA, not BT... but I had the USB ports run to the console, so I just plug it in and close it. Done. AA is smooth on this head unit.. works GREAT.

Only complaints with the 7704:
1. screen is shinier than the stock stereo.. so reflections in the back window are annoying
2. when playing off a USB drive, the interface is pretty basic.. though when using AA and Google Play Music, etc.. it's fantastic.

Yes, I ended up using a PAC even though I don't have steering wheel controls. Crutchfield sold me the Crux one with it.. and nothing worked, dimmer, chimes, reverse. Put in the PAC and everything was perfect. The chime on the pac is awful sounding, though.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:33 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by biggator6
That's what i paid for it.

I have a pile of CDs too, but don't want to carry them in this car. MP3 is good enough. It's plug-in AA, not BT... but I had the USB ports run to the console, so I just plug it in and close it. Done. AA is smooth on this head unit.. works GREAT.

Only complaints with the 7704:
1. screen is shinier than the stock stereo.. so reflections in the back window are annoying
2. when playing off a USB drive, the interface is pretty basic.. though when using AA and Google Play Music, etc.. it's fantastic.

Yes, I ended up using a PAC even though I don't have steering wheel controls. Crutchfield sold me the Crux one with it.. and nothing worked, dimmer, chimes, reverse. Put in the PAC and everything was perfect. The chime on the pac is awful sounding, though.

everyone does complain about that door chime LOL
is there no way to make it go away, seems like 90 bucks to retain steering wheel controls and be completely ANNOYED by the chine is horrible LOL maybe ill just pass on the wheel controls

as far as the screen glare goes, is your rear glass tinted? and i thought the screed was able to be tilted to get away from glares...

thanks for the heads up, seems like this is a pretty good bang for your buck headunit
Old 10-29-2018, 05:26 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
everyone does complain about that door chime LOL
is there no way to make it go away, seems like 90 bucks to retain steering wheel controls and be completely ANNOYED by the chine is horrible LOL maybe ill just pass on the wheel controls
There is a volume control on the chime module. If you find it too loud even on the lowest setting, many put a piece of tape over the hole to drop the volume to acceptable levels. A lot depends on where your chime module gets buried behind the head unit. If it's covered and buried deep enough, it's not too loud. Otherwise try the tape over the hole method.
The following users liked this post:
~STOLEN~ (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:21 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Sorry Stolen, I should of directed that towards the OP. I know I shared that information with you once before, I don't mean to sound like a broken record.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 10-29-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

It all good man!!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM
biggator6
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
There is a volume control on the chime module. If you find it too loud even on the lowest setting, many put a piece of tape over the hole to drop the volume to acceptable levels. A lot depends on where your chime module gets buried behind the head unit. If it's covered and buried deep enough, it's not too loud. Otherwise try the tape over the hole method.
Not that loud, just a horrible sound.. I can deal with it.

Get notified of new replies

To New system - pretty close to picked out

Quick Reply: New system - pretty close to picked out