Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about 3.5" door speakers for C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:35 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Question about 3.5" door speakers for C6

I'm looking to slightly improve the sound of the base stereo in my 09 coupe. I rarely turn it on (I'd usually rather listen to the exhaust)so I'm not looking to get too in depth, just a speaker swap. I already replaced the rears with some kicker ds 5.25s, and it helped a bit. So now I want to replace the 3.5s in the doors. I stopped by a local audio place and the only ones they carried were rockford fosgates. I haven't installed them yet, but I've been looking at specs and I'm wondering if I should return them and get some kickers. I think I like the fact that the kickers have a higher sensitivity and a lower response. The sensitivity is 85db for the rockfords and 88db for the kickers. The range is 120hz-22khz for the rockfords and 80hz-20khz for the kickers. I'm far from an audio expert, I've just started learning this stuff the last couple days. What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 09-27-2018, 10:44 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

The sensitivity isn't really very important. Assuming you have front/rear fade it is easily compensated for. Frequency response numbers can be misleading. A speaker can have output to 80Hz but if that is 15db down it really isn't the same as one that is only 3db down at the same frequency. The more reputable way to list the response is XHz to YHz @ +-3db. In reality even that doesn't tell you the entire story as you need to see the other specs along with response curves, waterfall plots, etc. Too complicated? That's why the best thing you can do is listen to each speaker set and make a determination from that. Everything else is just a crapshoot.

Last edited by DWillys; 09-27-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
The sensitivity isn't really very important. Assuming you have front/rear fade it is easily compensated for. Frequency response numbers can be misleading. A speaker can have output to 80Hz but if that is 15db down it really isn't the same as one that is only 3db down at the same frequency. The more reputable way to list the response is XHz to YHz @ +-3db. In reality even that doesn't tell you the entire story as you need to see the other specs along with response curves, waterfall plots, etc. Too complicated? That's why the best thing you can do is listen to each speaker set and make a determination from that. Everything else is just a crapshoot.
I agree with this. You just have to listen to them and see if you like them. Put them in and go for an extended drive and then decide.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:03 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

That's why Crutchfield is popular. They have a liberal return policy that allows you to get a set, install, listen and return if you're not happy (keep the speakers and packaging in the same condition you received them in).
Old 09-27-2018, 04:57 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
Sounds very complicated. I really just want to clear up the muffled sound, but if I'm changing them I might as well get something decent
Old 09-27-2018, 06:10 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Even what is decent is subjective. The Kickers may sound great. Then again the difference may not be enough that you'll hear it or they have a nasty amount of high frequency distortion that you're sensitive to. You may find someone that has heard both of the sets in a similar environment and that feedback would be valuable. Everyone is different though so you need to take this into account. That's why the only way to know for sure is to hear them and then make your decision.

You can get reviews online but keep in mind that most people writing reviews aren't making those reviews based on a comparison. Most reviews are "I had crap and bought these and they sounded better so they get 5 stars". If you want to see some reviews I'd suggest going to crutchfield. There you can see a comprehensive list of 3.5" speakers and from the reviews you may be able to get a hint as to how good they may be.

A 3.5" speaker will not give you much bass no matter what the manufacturer may say. The cone is too small to move the amount of air needed to produce decent volume at frequencies below ~150Hz. As for frequencies above 18Khz forget it. Unless you're under 20 you won't hear much of anything above 18Khz and the older you get the less high frequencies you can hear.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:18 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

I run these: (You'll just need to make a rudimentary adaptor plate. I made mine with some scrap plywood and dynamat...came out perfect)
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-378

And they sound just as good as any high end speaker I have heard.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 09-27-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about 3.5" door speakers for C6

Quick Reply: Question about 3.5" door speakers for C6