Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

6x9s in a C5 vert?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Default 6x9s in a C5 vert?

I need to upgrade the speakers in the vert. I have an alpine head unit replacing the stock stereo, and I need to install a proper amp and speakers getting rid of the factory bose nightmare.
I'm going to go with a digital amp, based on reading several threads. the question of the day is, can i do 6x9s in the front and rear? I had seen that people have done them in the doors, but are they a PITA? is there room in the back to install them where the factory speakers are? if not, how big can I go? I'm not sure i want a sub in the car at all, but if I must for decent sound, any recommendations where?
Old 10-10-2018, 04:16 PM
MatsA
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I recomend doing the Metra plates with 3.5 / 6.5 speaker set up in the doors, in the back you can only have 5.25 i have Fosgate.
Check this post i describe my vert stereo install
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6&postcount=42

Last edited by MatsA; 10-10-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: info update
Old 10-18-2018, 03:51 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the deal with a Vert. Unless you stick with the base in the doors, you will have no bass.

Seriously.

Forget about a sub box in the trunk with the top down. You will not hear it. It will sound great with the top up. But once you put the top down, all that base just floats away.

So your only option is that sub unit that JL or JBL makes that fits behind the head rests. But to me, that would leave the bass pounding in your head, plus it's ridiculously expensive.

I had the same problem - two times, both with Verts. What I wish I had done was found a way to make those 8" shallow-mount Pioneer woofers work in the door. Then use 5.25s in the rear. A mini-amp should complete the system.

On this remodel, take advice only from Vert owners. It's a totally different ballgame if you want killer sound with the top down.

Last edited by tampatopless; 10-18-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 6x9s in a C5 vert?

Quick Reply: 6x9s in a C5 vert?