Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone done Head-Unit-Less System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Nice job. I wouldn't have thought of building a system using your phone as the head unit. I would be worried about SQ but sounds like it's good.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,405 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by rblakeney
I like it. You could try putting a magnet mount behind your blank and see if that will hold the phone. I reminds me of a Sony head-unit a few years ago that had no face but a place to mount your phone directly. With charger.
I rigged it up and it can, but phone has to be in landscape orientation, and the charge cord gets a little messier. Most of the apps work better in portrait orientation, and a bit higher up towards the driver's field of view, so the position in the pic actually works very well.

Ideally there'd be a super-clean 'dock', drop in the phone & go. I've been thinking that's the future of car stereo for a long time, but it's yet to come to fruition.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
Nice job. I wouldn't have thought of building a system using your phone as the head unit. I would be worried about SQ but sounds like it's good.
SQ over the BT seems very good. I've always had lousy luck using hardwired stereo adapter (1/8" plug and the like)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:40 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I was thinking of doing something like this but slightly different:

- Keep stock head unit but add aux adapter
- Slide stock head unit further back in cavity in order to place a small Android tablet in front of it.
- Use plastic panel sheet (like what you have) as a nice/flush surround for the small tablet. The aux and USB power hookups to the small tablet will be hidden behind the plastic panel.
- Extend the length of the power/volume **** on the stock head unit since it's now farther back, and will stick out through the plastic panel like in your photo.

Is that doable with the amount of space that's in the cavity? Not sure how much farther back the stock head unit can slide in the cavity. Maybe you're not sure since you never had a stock head unit in the first place, but maybe others can answer on that part of the question.

I'm looking to do this because by the time you buy a new double-din console, new double din head unit, and either an adapter for the stock/amp speakers (which I'm reading requires a lot of labor to get tuned right) or replacing the speakers, cost will be way too much.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 01-24-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:44 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
I was thinking of doing something like this but slightly different:

- Keep stock head unit but add aux adapter
- Slide stock head unit further back in cavity in order to place a small Android tablet in front of it.
- Use plastic panel sheet (like what you have) as a nice/flush surround for the small tablet. The aux and USB power hookups to the small tablet will be hidden behind the plastic panel.
- Extend the length of the power/volume **** on the stock head unit since it's now farther back, and will stick out through the plastic panel like in your photo.

Is that doable with the amount of space that's in the cavity? Not sure how much farther back the stock head unit can slide in the cavity. Maybe you're not sure since you never had a stock head unit in the first place, but maybe others can answer on that part of the question.

I'm looking to do this because by the time you buy a new double-din console, new double din head unit, and either an adapter for the stock/amp speakers (which I'm reading requires a lot of labor to get tuned right) or replacing the speakers, cost will be way too much.
Might be doable. My previous Vette had a stock HU but I don't recall it had a lot of space behind it.
You might be able to mount the plastic panel in front of (instead of behind) the stock console. Trimmed up nicely it should still look acceptable. That would buy 1/2-3/4" or so.
good luck!
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (01-28-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 12:04 AM
chevyorange
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 169 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by acroy
I asked this Q a while back, got minimum response. Decided to do it myself!

No head unit at all?
Use the phone as the HU
Blank the stock space, install a nice phone mount and a Bluetooth adapter.
Install quality amps/speakers (already have nice Alpine units in there)
https://imgur.com/a/BTNFd#LjOEn1W
Anyone tried?
I had on old 1990 Lincoln Town Car that was not worth doing a whole stereo on. I used an iPod directly connected to an amp with wires to all the speakers. It was loud and awesome! I am not the best handy person in the world so I've been contemplating what to do on my C5 and I think a "headless" unit would be great. I've seen it work, it just takes planning.

Love your set up!
Old 02-25-2020, 11:00 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

That’s an interesting take on skinning the cat differently.
chevyorange (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 12:44 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chevyorange
I had on old 1990 Lincoln Town Car that was not worth doing a whole stereo on. I used an iPod directly connected to an amp with wires to all the speakers. It was loud and awesome! I am not the best handy person in the world so I've been contemplating what to do on my C5 and I think a "headless" unit would be great. I've seen it work, it just takes planning.

Love your set up!
I did something similar on a '69 C10 I had some years back. Left the cool looking non-functional original stereo in the dash and wired in a 1/8" stereo jack so I could use my Discman cd player for the jams

Originally Posted by NYC6
That’s an interesting take on skinning the cat differently.
chevyorange (02-26-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 10:36 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Very cool project for the price. I didn't know there was a "radio app" for phones lol. I usually have Pandora on or I would get a Sirius XM subscription. I also don't use CD's anymore and anytime I am listening to music it's mostly background noise on a cruise or I find myself clicking through stations to FIND music to jam to (50% success rate and is annoying).

My only hangup would be the mounting method. Pandora on my Iphone does not "switch" to landscape, however Google Maps looks much better in landscape mode. Hmmmm

If I were to do this I would get the smallest 4 channel amp possible to power the 4 speakers to also aid in putting it in the small C5 cabin. I don't HATE the stock stereo so somewhat hard to justify doing all this speaker upgrade. I put more time and money into performance stuff for autocross etc. BUT, if the speakers popped, or HU broke this would be a viable option.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:19 PM
denniszhurley
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

acroy, I am THINKING about doing something like this on my C5. I was wondering if you could use a magnetic Qi type charger with this... set it up as a landscape mag mount/charger....

Quick Reply: Anyone done Head-Unit-Less System?