Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Anyone done Head-Unit-Less System?

Old 11-01-2018, 09:36 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,358 Likes on 824 Posts

Default Head-Unit-Less System!!!

I asked this Q a while back, got minimum response. Decided to do it myself!

No head unit at all?
Use the phone as the HU
Blank the stock space, install a nice phone mount and a Bluetooth adapter.
Install quality amps/speakers (already have nice Alpine units in there)
https://imgur.com/a/BTNFd#LjOEn1W
Anyone tried?

Last edited by acroy; 12-28-2018 at 03:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chevyorange (02-25-2020)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:24 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Nobody
I will do one and document it here!
chevyorange (02-24-2020)
Old 11-05-2018, 04:20 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I considered running bluetooth directly to my Helix DSP or Mosconi amplifier. But the modules are almost expensive as my Alpine double din. I hate Apple products. So the ipod dash kit was out.
New2it (06-22-2023)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:03 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

I am planning to use one of the $45 Bluetooth to RCA dongles, and a manual level controller for volume. Run directly to amps or DSP. Keeping it simple.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:58 AM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Did it work out? I used one of those in $50 fusion ones in my boat years ago to a hidden head unit with volume on my Simrad MFD NSS7, and then controlled volume via blutooth using my phone most of the time.

I'm thinking of doing this in my turbo Buick, has exhaust now and no stereo of any kind in it.
chevyorange (02-25-2020)
Old 12-28-2018, 03:42 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Here is the story.
The 04Z I bought had aftermarket speakers and that was it. No amp, no HU. Big blank space in the dash. sad! cannot stand this.
Considerations for this build:
  • I've done many stereos over the years and have tired of the same old same old. Replacing the 1.5DIN with a DoubleDin is a proven solution but expensive. the modded surround is spendy, nice HUs are pricey etc. The single DIN are cheaper but they look cheap and are lousy to use.
  • mostly I take the car on shortish trips around town. half the time I never turn on the stereo. I wanted simplicity; not having to learn tiny buttons and complex menus on another HU
  • backup cam not needed
  • I wanted seamless integration of my smartphone for the occasional road trip (music, WAYZE, gas stops etc)
So here is the parts list
  • 12"x12" sheet of black textured ABS from Ebay, $6 shipped
  • DS18 BT-Two Bluetooth 'dongle'. This is a BT 4.0 receiver/adapter meant for boats etc. It is switched on with switched DC and included amp turn-on output. Amazon $35
  • PAC LC-1 level controlled. RCA in and out volume controller, taking signal from the DS18 and sending to the amp, that's it. Amazon $8
  • Rockville DB55 5-channel amp. 4000 watts!! In reality about 4x80 and 1x300. Amazon, $160
  • 4ga wiring (leftover) and 100amp IMC inline fuse for amp, Amazon $6
  • Hard wired Kimdrox 3A 5V power supply, this supplies 5v power to USB charger cables for Android, Apple, and my dashcam Amazon $10
  • Alpine Type E separates (front) came with car
  • Alpine unknown speakers in rear
  • Dual 10" JL 10w0v3 subs in 'partition' box behind the seats $250 used
Installation notes:
  • The speakers were professionally installed by PO, done well. Nice heavy speaker cable run the correct way etc.
  • ABS sheet was cut down with a Dremel and JB Plastic Weld (2 part epoxy) to the stock dash
  • ABS sheet has a single 1/4" hole for the volume ****. Drill, insert the volume controller, screw the set nut on, press on volume ****, done!
  • The BT adapter and 5V power supply were zip-tied into the dash cavity. There's a lot of room in there without the stock stereo.
  • USB charger cables were run through the cigarette lighter hole. They are out of the way and invisible when not needed. I may try to rig a self-retracting mechanism in there.
  • Amp was mounted via heavy duty Velcro (!) to the carpet behind the passenger seat. It just hangs there, no problem. No screws, no gluing a wood panel, etc. It's sandwitched b/w the seat and carpet, not going anywhere.
  • Amp power cables were done 'right'. Positive through the grommet by the passenger footwell straight to the fuse box (+) with a big copper ring terminal. Amp (-) to the sensor mounting bolt on the passenger side door frame metal (near the seatbelt mechanism). I don't know what that sensor is but it is a SOLID mount!
  • Single high-quality RCA cable from dash to amp
  • the amp is SO SMART it splits the single RCA input into all 5 channels.

Last edited by acroy; 12-28-2018 at 03:57 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (01-24-2020)
Old 12-28-2018, 03:46 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

DS18 Bluetooth receiver

Fuse:

PAC LC-1 Level Controller

Old 12-28-2018, 04:01 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Amp

Sub (not mine, but identical)

Old 12-28-2018, 04:05 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

5v converter for dash cam and USB power. not identical but close enough. I lopped off the USB end and spliced in Android, Apple, and USB C cables to power phones and dash cam.

Finally, the dash cam. B40 A118C 'wedge' cam. Cheap, reliable, super stealth. Capacitor, no battery. I've been running these in 3 cars for years, like them a lot. Installed right next to rear view mirror on passenger side. 5V power supply run from dash up passenger side trim and tucked into headliner. Darn near invisible from inside and outside the car.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:10 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Alpine separates in doors. Very high quality AudioPipe crossovers. Sound damping added to door cavity. Tweeters mounted in door handle surround.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:11 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Finally, the only pic I have of the finished 'system'

Old 12-28-2018, 04:19 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

That's about as simple as it gets

Notes:
  • The BT pairs immediately. But there is a 3-5sec pause before music starts playing. The DS18 is 'alive' and listening all the time with car switched 12v power, but it switches the amp on and off with music input. So for instance, if you hit 'pause' or for any reason the output stopps, it switches off the amp. I may wire the amp remote turn on straight to switched power so if the car is on, the amp is on. The delay is unnerving and there's no need to cycle the amp on and off like that.
  • The Alpine separates in front sound frankly awesome. I was not prepared for how good they sound.
  • Volume control is easy. Set the phone to about 1/2 way. The dial on the dash goes basically from 'off' to 'plenty loud'.
  • I have yet to balance out the system (levels and crossovers) but so far so good
  • I am very favorably impressed with the amp. I bought a Rockville compact sub a few years back ($80) and was rather shocked at the build and sound quality. They are American owned and designed, Chinese manufactured. Their literature and owner's manuals are conversational, informative and are obviously written by people who love car stereo. The 4 channel section is A/B while the sub section is Class D. They provide CEA, RMS and Peak power ratings. This $160 amp even came with a 'birth certificate' of measured values of this amp. I am impressed! It has many available configurations for the 5 channels and is smart enough to split up a single 2-channel input to 5 channels, 4-channel to 5, etc etc. Multiple crossover functions, etc also. A lot of power and flexibility for not a lot of money!
  • Amp remote level control is under the driver's side seat for the time being. I've not yet decided what to do with it permanently.
  • All in, including $50 for the Alpine door separates, this stereo is under $600. I consider that a pretty smoking deal, as a nice HU itself can cost that much. Using the smartphone as the HU and going with a 'no-name' amp saved a zillion $$. It could be done even cheaper with a smaller amp and a more modest sub. Amazing what a few hundreds can buy these days.

Last edited by acroy; 12-28-2018 at 04:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by acroy:
Energy CC (01-27-2020), mfrnka (02-06-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 07:20 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,240 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Cool job man! If you're ever in the door panels again you may want to move the xovers to the kick panels because they can get wet.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:22 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

I personally can't see doing that myself, I like having the different source options, a display to view and fill the area. Sure mine costs more, but if I was worried about cost, I wouldn't have bought a Vette in the first place.

Last edited by madsonp; 12-29-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Energy CC (01-27-2020)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:25 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Cool job man! If you're ever in the door panels again you may want to move the xovers to the kick panels because they can get wet.

hmmm interesting I was not aware that side of the door panel could get wet, the other (window) side for sure
Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madsonp
I personally can't see doing that myself, I like having the different source options, a display to view and fill the area. Sure mine costs more, but if I was worried about cost, I wouldn't have bought a Vette in the first place.
that's fine, this isn't for everyone, but shows it's a viable option. As mentioned, I did not want to learn another new HU. I know my phone really well already. Sources, it has radio, internet radio, google & amazon music, local mp3's etc. Some people still use discs but I transferred all music & movies to hard drives a long time ago, no discs.
chevyorange (02-25-2020)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:42 AM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Between the door card and the door panel is a dry area if the factory vapor barrier is in place. First piece of mind you can put them in plastic bags with the opening pointed down. I prefer not to mount them in the door especially if there is any crossover adjustment on the crossover itself.
Check out Audio Control, they make a 1/2 din eq with inputs and a volume control

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone done Head-Unit-Less System?

Old 12-31-2018, 12:11 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by acroy
that's fine, this isn't for everyone, but shows it's a viable option. As mentioned, I did not want to learn another new HU. I know my phone really well already. Sources, it has radio, internet radio, google & amazon music, local mp3's etc. Some people still use discs but I transferred all music & movies to hard drives a long time ago, no discs.
Internet radio etc. isn't really an option in Montana as a good part of the state doesn't have cell phone coverage. That's where having the additional XM radio source is really nice. But if you're happy with your system, that's what counts.

Last edited by madsonp; 12-31-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:04 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,240 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by acroy
hmmm interesting I was not aware that side of the door panel could get wet, the other (window) side for sure
Oops yeah you're right, I was thinking of the other side for some reason. Carry on
Old 01-08-2019, 01:04 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I like it. You could try putting a magnet mount behind your blank and see if that will hold the phone. I reminds me of a Sony head-unit a few years ago that had no face but a place to mount your phone directly. With charger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone done Head-Unit-Less System?