Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Audio Upgrade Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 01:43 PM
ThissenW
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Audio Upgrade Recommendations

Hi Guys.
I recently bought a 2007 Callaway convertible with NAV and XM. I'm looking for options to upgrade the audio system. About 8 years ago, I swapped the in-dash changer on my 2008 coupe for an aftermarket GPS head unit, so I have some hands-on skills. Much has changed in those years, and I'm looking for recommendations. I'm pretty open to suggestions. At a minimum. I want iPod control and charging with the use of steering wheel controls on the existing head unit. I'd also consider a head unit swap with bluetooth calling, audio streaming, and steering wheel controls. I'd prefer to use the existing microphone, Audio via SD card is a definite plus. I love the Uconnect in my 2015 Grand Cherokee. Comments?

Old 12-01-2018, 02:51 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Most mid to high priced head units will have all of the things you mentioned. Most look at Alpine, Kenwood's, or Pioneer's. Alpine and the Kenwood's have better sound quality than the Pioneers, and IMO the Kenwood's are a nice mixture of features and sound quality right now. If you get the correct wring interface (Pac Audio RP5-GM11), it will retain steering wheel control functions. Check Kenwood's website to narrow down what head unit has all the features you want. I always recommend to look for something with a capacitive touchscreen for improved colors, resolution, graphics, and a glass screen. You can splice into the existing factory mic if you choose to use it, but adding the mic that comes with the head unit is easy also and I mounted mine right next to the factory one. Also look into adding a backup camera. Real simple to do during install.

Also, just for reference sake, here is all the things I purchased for my install.
Copied and pasted from one of my previous posts:

Here is all the stuff I bought for my install. The Pac Audio harness/interface works with and/or without Bose systems. The installation gear is the same regardless of what brand head unit you buy. In my case I went with the Pioneer 8200nex. I got the head unit and all the installation gear from Amazon.

1- Pac Audio RP5-GM11 wiring harness with steering wheel controls (RP4-GM11 is also compatible and an alternative to the RP5)
2- Metra 95-3304 double din face plate
3- Sirius XM SXV300v1 tuner (optional if you want Sirius XM) and Sirius XM 10ft antenna ext. cable (if u want to re-use factory antenna)
4- Pyle PCNM38FRV back up camera (was only $17 but works great)
5- A pack of crimp style cap connectors 22/18 gauge and a crimp plier (since I didn't have one)

You can re-use the existing XM antenna with the cable mentioned but I just want to mention that my SiriusXm reception still stinks.

Do it yourself thread with pictures done by former forum audio vendor:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html

Update: I have since cancelled my SiriusXm subscription because of reception problems in my Vette. I now use the SiriusXm app through my phone and Apple CarPlay. Works much better. My suggestion is skip the SiriusXm tuner and antenna and go with the app through your phone instead if you prefer to have SiriusXm. (*** Data charges may apply if you don't have an unlimited phone plan)
Old 12-01-2018, 04:42 PM
ThissenW
Burning Brakes

Great information. Thanks. When I upgraded my 2008 coupe, the only way to retain the steering wheel controls was to buy an additional interface and splice it into the factory harness. It was a little difficult due to close quarters. Is that still required?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:11 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by ThissenW
Great information. Thanks. When I upgraded my 2008 coupe, the only way to retain the steering wheel controls was to buy an additional interface and splice it into the factory harness. It was a little difficult due to close quarters. Is that still required?
No. The RP5-GM11 interface comes with steering wheel controls. No splicing into the factory wiring.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:34 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Welcome to the Callaway club! I posted a detailed description of my complete convertible sound system install a few months ago, should be easy to find. I am not sure how to post a direct link.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:37 PM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I would go with any Kenwood excelon head unit, and stay away from the pac audio RP5-GM11 recently they've had to many faulty units .
Old 12-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the Kenwood DNX995S as a factory replacement in my 2012 Grandsport with Bose audio. Just replaced the head unit so far with the Kenwood and it has made a world of difference in audio quality. Using the time alignment and the EQ has netted good results so far, as well setting crossover and slope levels for front and rear speakers. Eventually, I will probably upgrade the rest of the system such as TorchRedFred did, I just have not decided on gear yet. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2018, 09:51 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Do a forum search for C6 stereo upgrade. You will be busy reading what you find.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:24 AM
ThissenW
Burning Brakes

I installed a USA-Spec PA15-Vette adapter to play my iPod on the factory Nav.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Audio Upgrade Recommendations

Quick Reply: C6 Audio Upgrade Recommendations