Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Corvette C6 Coupe Measured Transfer Function

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 PM
Frank Carter
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette C6 Coupe Measured Transfer Function

For all the knowledge I’ve soaked up on this forum I thought I could give back. Today I measured the transfer function of my 2006 C6 coupe. I couldn’t find it anywhere on this forum or anywhere else on the internet.

For those saying what is that?

It shows how much “cabin gain” or boost the car is adding to a subwoofer. This is useful to know when adding a subwoofer. If you’re looking for a flat response, your subwoofer should have the inverse anechoic response.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

How did you measure it? With REW? Got any steps I could follow for the C5 / Z06?
Old 12-31-2018, 07:00 AM
Frank Carter
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
How did you measure it? With REW? Got any steps I could follow for the C5 / Z06?
Yes I did use REW. It took a little tinkering with Microsoft Excel because I don’t believe subtracting the difference between two measurements is a feature built in REW. It’s NOT a straight forward process the way I did it.

Step 1: Use REW to take ground plane (GP) measurements of any sub(sealed is easier for this purpose). Audioholics.com has a good article on this.

Step 2: Use REW to measure the drivers listening position with the same sub in the car.

Step 3: In REW select one measurement, go to File>>Export to convert each measurement to a .csv file so it can be opened in excel. Repeat for the other.

Step 4: All the data points (Frequency, SPL, & phase) are in one column so I had to use the “text to column” wizard in Excel to get the data into separate columns so I could apply formulas.

Step 5: The frequencies used to in the ground plane and car measurements differed very slightly, by thousands, so I input a formula in excel to average them.

Step 6: Input a formula in excel, to subtract the in car SPL from the GP SPL. The difference in these two numbers is your car’s transfer function.

Step 7: Replace the original data with the new data you just created.

Step 8: In REW go to File>>Import Frequency Response and find the new Excel file you created and the transfer function will now show in a graph in REW.

Step 9: Don’t tell people how nerdy you really are. You’re supposed to be cool because you own a Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C6 Coupe Measured Transfer Function

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 Coupe Measured Transfer Function