Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Down sizing amp, not the power wire... this ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:38 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Down sizing amp, not the power wire... this ok?

I currently have in the car (99 C5) 4ga power feeding an Alpine V12 5ch amp. One of the channels on the amp is going out so I'm going to down size my audio set up at this time.
The new amp only has a mount lug for an 8ga wire.
Do I need to run a new wire or can I use the 4ga and just cut a few copper strands to "fit" the 8ga lug?
Going to a 60a fuse, will that be okay with the 4ga if I keep the 4ga wire in place?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Coyote58
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could cut some strands . OR, you could get a fuse holder that goes from 4 gauge to 8 gauge and have a fuse by the amp and one by the battery.. OR
this
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-01-2019, 02:19 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

There are a couple ways to accomplish this.
  • First is to just use a reducer for the power wire. As an example:
    Amazon Amazon
    but there are many out there for less
  • Another option is to run the 4awg into a distribution block that has 8 awg out and use a short section of 8 awg using something like this: http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-au...ibution-block/
  • Finally, you can cut the wire down. I would do this by stripping back about an inch or so of insulation, trimming the strands around the circumference to the appropriate size, and then applying adhesive lined heat shrink that covers the end of where I cut the wire out to prevent any stray strands from causing problems.
Any of those methods is fine, and will not cause any problem

Also, I'd drop the main fuse down to a size appropriate for the 8 awg. 60 amp should be fine, if not a little smaller. What is your new amp?
Old 03-01-2019, 02:20 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by chris308
I currently have in the car (99 C5) 4ga power feeding an Alpine V12 5ch amp. One of the channels on the amp is going out so I'm going to down size my audio set up at this time.
The new amp only has a mount lug for an 8ga wire.
Do I need to run a new wire or can I use the 4ga and just cut a few copper strands to "fit" the 8ga lug?
Going to a 60a fuse, will that be okay with the 4ga if I keep the 4ga wire in place?

Thanks.
What kind of amp is the new amp? Is there a terminal/connector pin available that can be crimped on the 4 gauge wire and used with the new amp? If not, you could trim strands down, or slide some heat shrink tubing on the wire, solder a splice to a short piece of 8 gauge wire on the connector/terminal for the new amp and cover the soldered splice with "brush on electrical tape" and the heat shrink tubing.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:21 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote58
you could cut some strands . OR, you could get a fuse holder that goes from 4 gauge to 8 gauge and have a fuse by the amp and one by the battery.. OR
this
https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SPT52.../dp/B001H4Y5O0
What's that they say about great minds?
The following users liked this post:
Coyote58 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 04:02 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for the replies all,

I think I need to button the interior of my car up this weekend so cutting a few strands is the way I'm leaning.
The amp is an old kicker amp I had sitting in a closet... its a 400w 4 ch old school amp nothing fancy.

Get notified of new replies

To Down sizing amp, not the power wire... this ok?

Quick Reply: Down sizing amp, not the power wire... this ok?