Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new headunit install

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Fighta
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default new headunit install

I am looking at purchasing and installing the Kenwood Excelon DDX6905S and also looking at purchasing the Infinity Reference REF-6530cx. Now crutchfield says the 6530s wont fit but is that because its a different size than whats normally in there?

I have a 08 coupe non bose original

Last edited by Fighta; 03-06-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

The speakers will fit. Crutchfield says that because they are not the OEM size. You need to buy or build an adapter plate to hold the new speaker. I'm guessing you are doing an aftermarket amp also?

Metra 82-3014, C6 speaker adapter plates
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-06-2019, 04:08 PM
Fighta
Instructor

Great! No i was going to just use the radio to push the speakers.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:45 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Fighta
Great! No i was going to just use the radio to push the speakers.
I'm not sure it would be worth all the trouble if you don't go with an aftermarket amp. And you would have to run new wires to bypass the factory amp. You may be surprised how much a new head unit will improve the sound of the stock system. I would probably suggest trying out a new head unit only, and see if it does enough for you.

If you do go with new speakers, use the Metra 82-3015 plates for the 3.5" door speaker location. I cut a hole in it to hold and mount my tweeter.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Fighta
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I'm not sure it would be worth all the trouble if you don't go with an aftermarket amp. And you would have to run new wires to bypass the factory amp. You may be surprised how much a new head unit will improve the sound of the stock system. I would probably suggest trying out a new head unit only, and see if it does enough for you.

If you do go with new speakers, use the Metra 82-3015 plates for the 3.5" door speaker location. I cut a hole in it to hold and mount my tweeter.
i already have speaker wire but my left door sub is blown again which is why i am going with the components. the sub produces sound but there is zero bass

Get notified of new replies

To new headunit install

Quick Reply: new headunit install