Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

White noise and amp failure with new install

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:10 PM
Mihoelsegundo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White noise and amp failure with new install

Hello,
I am new to the forum and recently purchased my first Corvette (2013 Grandsport). Unfortunately my first post has to be because I have an issue!
I just installed a new head unit and cameras. I have a Kenwood head unit and used the PAC rp5-11 to tie it all together. When installing I plugged the speaker plug into the amplified factory audio plug since I believe the car has the premium Bose system (3lt). I noticed the stereo had no bass and was very quite.
I then tried plugging the speakers plug into the non amplified factory systems plug and got much louder sound (seemed like less bass than normal) , however what was most troubling is when plugged into the non amplified port I also got a faint white noise through all of the speakers. If I crank the radio up I can drown it out, but at reasonable volumes it is faintly there. This made me a bit nervous since this white noise last fall was what pushed me to replace the head unit as soon as I got it out of storage in spring. The white noise I am getting now is the same as when I had the original head unit in. Back in fall I thought it was just bad auxillary cords, but now I am clueless. Would anybody on the forum be able to help with the following?

Should I be plugging into the amplified plug?
What is the white noise and how do I stop it If I am supposed to be plugged into the non amplified.

Thanks for your help,

Drew
Old 03-30-2019, 12:36 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Yes, you should plug into the amplified port. If your system made this noise prior to installing the new head unit, I would suspect the issue is possibly with your amplifier.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:10 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Yes, you need to use the slot that says factory amplifier. The unusual thing about your comments is that most people who use the wrong slot say that it gets quieter not louder. You are claiming the opposite is true. It makes me wonder if something may be wrong with your Pac RP5 interface or possibly your amp. I would start troubleshooting by first replacing the RP5 with another. No need to redo all the wiring, just swap the module part and see if there is a difference. The Pac Audio interface is the best option for a C6 but unfortunately they are all cheaply constructed and there is an occasional dud. Also, check all your wiring and connections and make sure they are correct.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:33 PM
Mihoelsegundo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the quick answers! I called this morning and while on the phone with them everything sounded much better. They mentioned since I had that noise before and after that my stock head unit was sending too much power to my amp and this is what the noise was. Got it sealed up and all seems to be good now!

Get notified of new replies

To White noise and amp failure with new install

Quick Reply: White noise and amp failure with new install