Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power / Ground Terminal - options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Default Power / Ground Terminal - options?

I am not a wiring guru. It is never pretty, per se, but it is always functional when I do wiring.

That said, I have a DD dual din dash with the tri-gauge pod mounts across the top. I am going to swap this from my 99 to my "new" 03Z. In so doing, I want to avoid the absolute HORROR SHOW which is the wiring located behind the dash. One space saver is not having to use the PAC bose adapter this time through since I'll use an amp.

Does anyone have examples of remote "terminals" I can install for + and - feeds? Locations to run power and ground from to the center console? Instead of sloppily trying to wire things together in-line, my concept is to have a ring end terminal or other (I don't know what products exist for this purpose) and keep it both neat and also readily changeable if or when needed.

Drop some knowledge on this unedumacated fool.

Pictures & Product Links appreciated.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:35 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I use Blue Sea fused distribution blocks and euro barrier terminal strips for this sort of thing.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...locks/ST_Blade

Amazon Amazon

I really like the euro barrier strips because you can easily cut them for whatever the application is. If you want to use it for distribution, you just loop a wire along one side in and out of each terminal, then put your loads in the opposite side. The fused blocks are really nice too - this way you can make sure that all of your equipment is protected. I had one of them with power and ground and I modified the powered part so that half worked with key off and the other half turned on with the ignition utilizing a relay.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks like a good way to join one-to-one lines. I picked up a few of those screw terminals.

What I was picturing though is more like the accessory power bracket bolt under the hood... A bolt with some sort of surround which will accept multiple attachments. Then the same thing for a ground connection nearby.

I pulled my head unit and gauges last night and there are just too many Ys into other Ys. I did it fast and sloppy. I don't want to do that again.

I can picture the product I have in mind, I just down know how to search / find it or what the correct terms would be.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:47 PM
endus
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 101 Posts

You're talking about a bus bar...

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...hoCew4QAvD_BwE

...however, I would definitely recommend using the fuse blocks linked above on the positive side. You want to make sure all those circuits are fused, and its much easier to use the standard mini fuses than try to fiddle with inline fuses on each one.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:03 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Really the fuse blocks are the best thing to use. There are much cheaper versions than the bluesea ones on amazon.

I guess I also didn't describe very well the way I use the barrier strips for multiple circuits fed from one source. Here's a picture:

There are also different types of barrier strips with jumpers. This is kind of the same concept I was trying to explain with the euro barrier strips but maybe a little cleaner.
Amazon Amazon

You could use one for power, one for ground, or cut the jumpers and use half for power half for ground. Could be configured however you want pretty easily.

IMO a bolt with multiple ring terminals on it is about the ugliest way it can be done.

Also you should not overlook the need for fuses. Ideally each branch circuit has its own fuse.

Last edited by daverulz; 04-22-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:46 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by daverulz
I use Blue Sea fused distribution blocks...
This looks fantastic and the results should be very neat!

Old 04-24-2019, 01:42 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

The more I thought about it, the more I like the BS unit for having the fuses. That seems common sense. I did order a 6-circuit piece as that will serve my needs directly. Thanks for the good recommendations here.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:09 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Default C5 5 volt connection

wrong thread, sorry

Last edited by walleyejack; 04-27-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power / Ground Terminal - options?

Quick Reply: Power / Ground Terminal - options?