Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CD Changer and aux inputs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 10:56 PM
DocToss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Changer and aux inputs

I just bought a 2000 vert with just the in dash cd bose system. I want to add the cd changer and aux inputs. From what I understand I need the harness (the gm one or the aftermarket one?) and the pie adapter for the aux inputs. Can I hook both a cd changer and the aux inputs up, or only one at a time? Also. does the cd changer use the aux input? Thanks, Tom
Old 01-04-2004, 12:34 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CD Changer and aux inputs (DocToss)

You can usually pick up a C5 factory CD changer on Ebay. You can get the wiring harness from us. It attaches to the stock wiring in the passenger side foot well. It is a really easy install. I like mounting them in the Right rear trunk, but that has it's mounting challenges however it doesn't take up any space in the center trunk area. We usually have used CD changers but I sold and installed the last one a few months ago and we haven't had one since.

I don't know about the AUX inputs, I've never used them, we are usually pulling out the Bose hardware.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:56 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: CD Changer and aux inputs (C5stein)

To attach a cd changer to the radio we attach the wiring harness to the ends under the passenger footwell. If I want the cd changer AND aux inputs, coult I attach a "y" adapter like the onstar adapter to the back of the radio? One end would go to the cd changer and one would go to a aux adapter? Could something like this work?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:08 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

I'm not sure, you might need to be able to switch off the power to the CD changer so that you don't have two signals going to the head unit at the same time. Just thinking out loud here.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:19 PM
DocToss
Pro

I thought that also might be the case, however, when onstar comes on it mutes the other inputs. Is that a function of onstar, not the cable? What does the factory cd connector connect to in the back of the radio? Why did gm run the cable to the passenge footwell? To make things easier? Thanks, I could just remove the radio and look, but I am reluctant since for some reason gm put the cd extension cable under the passenger footwell so we would not or could not mess with the radio?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:31 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

DocToss,
i think that GM put the connection in the Right footwell to make it easier for the dealer to add a CD changer as a dealer installed option for cars not originally equiped. That way they don't have to disassemble the center console and center dash. The funny part is that none of the dealers around hear know that such a plug even exists so they pay guys like me to put them in instaed of letting one of their guys do it.

PS. The HU doesn't have any plugs for AUX nor CD changer on the back.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:02 PM
DocToss
Pro

How about this setup? An AAI-GM9 (http://www.pac-audio.com/products/aai.htm) to the back of the HU, then able to toggle between inputs on the AAI-GM9 and cd changer with the toggle switch that comes with the AAI-GM9?
Old 01-14-2004, 03:22 PM
T2001W
Advanced

Try this- http://www.pie.net/
Old 01-17-2004, 02:59 PM
FinnMcCool
Advanced

Hey C5stein - I'm trying to locate the aux inputs under the passenger footwell, so I can plug it into the PIE adaptor and then to my ipod. Can you tell me exactly what I'm looking for and where?

Thanks,

Finn

[Modified by FinnMcCool, 8:10 PM 1/17/2004]
Old 01-17-2004, 08:43 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Default Re: CD Changer and aux inputs (FinnMcCool)

FinnMcCool,
I haven't used a PIE adaptor before. The stock CD changer wire plug (if C5 not equiped from factory with changer) is located behind the passenger side kick panel. It is just a three wire plug that is taped up. Sometimes it is under the carpet.

I think that the PIE connection needs to be plugged in between the head unit and the stock wiring harness.

When I went to the PIE website I couldn't find the installation instructions. I did find where it said that the connection was to be made in the trunk area, but the only wires back there that go to the stereo are in C5s that came with a CD Changer. Now it is my understanding that your car didn't come with a changer, right?

Have you tried calling the tech support at PAC or PIE? They might already have the answer for us.

[Modified by C5stein, 5:48 PM 1/17/2004]

[Modified by C5stein, 5:50 PM 1/17/2004]
Old 01-19-2004, 12:42 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

I just bought a 2000 vert with just the in dash cd bose system. I want to add the cd changer and aux inputs. From what I understand I need the harness (the gm one or the aftermarket one?) and the pie adapter for the aux inputs. Can I hook both a cd changer and the aux inputs up, or only one at a time? Also. does the cd changer use the aux input? Thanks, Tom
I'm trying to locate the aux inputs under the passenger footwell, so I can plug it into the PIE adaptor and then to my ipod. Can you tell me exactly what I'm looking for and where?
In order to input external audio source into the C5 Bose system, you will need two items, the cd-changer wiring harness http://www.tlelectronics.com/webstor...roducts_id=157 and the GM10-AUX adapter. http://www.tlelectronics.com/webstor...roducts_id=154

The cd-changer wiring harness plugs into the cd-changer port near the passenger foot wells (two little connectors). In some cars, they are to the left of the fuse box while others are in the right of the fuse box. As for the GM10-AUX, this adapter plugs into the cd-changer wiring harness and converts it over to RCA input. You CAN NOT plugs the GM10-AUX directly into the cd-changer port.

With that being said, you can only have either the cd-changer OR GM10-AUX connected to the cd-changer wiring harness at the same time. It only take a few seconds to un-hook the wiring harness off the cd-changer and then plug into the GM10-AUX adapter.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Have a wonderful week, guys. :cheers:

Picture of the cd-changer wiring harness

Picture of the GM10-AUX adapter

Old 01-22-2004, 10:58 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: CD Changer and aux inputs (Tuan Le)

If I wanted to use some kind of toggle betwen a cd changer and an aux input, will the alpinesystem with the GMASX and GMH20T work? It looks like I could have cd changer and aux inputs and toggle between them. thanks, Tom
Old 01-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Ghostrider
Pro

In case you may know: Could I use your wiring suggestions in a 2002 C5 by installing a Delco 12-Disc CD changer and make that work? On the back, the label says:
Delco Electronics 16199553, Model: CDX-M12, Spec NO: /US, Serial: QJ168546, MFD: October 1996-TPY?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:34 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: CD Changer and aux inputs (Ghostrider)

After looking around, I have ordered these adapters to get cd changer and aux input at the same time. GM cd changer harness since my vette was not pre wired, gmasx with gm910 adapter, and s630 alpine cd changer. I believe from this combo I will have cd changer and aux inputs that I can toggle between. I am ordering the equipment and hopefully will have it working within a week or so.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:51 PM
stingrey
Advanced

If you got this installed already or can help out someone else who is trying to hook an ipod up, I'm just trying to find the cables that the cor-har will plug into. Any info appreciated!

Rey :)
Old 02-04-2004, 01:55 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: CD Changer and aux inputs (stingrey)

If you got this installed already or can help out someone else who is trying to hook an ipod up, I'm just trying to find the cables that the cor-har will plug into. Any info appreciated!

Hey Rey,

You can thank GM for this, but I have seen these 2 connectors at various locations through out different C5's. However, here are the two most popular places.

At location "B", the two connectors are behind the plastic pannel held together by a plastic clip. :)
Old 02-09-2004, 01:21 PM
stingrey
Advanced

If it helps anyone, both of my connections were on the left side. One was clipped to something on the right of the fuse box and the other was as promised taped to an existing harness under the carpet on the right side... Very easy to find once you have the cable to know what the other end of what you are plugging into is supposed to look like. Still haven't finalized the install or anything, but WILL post pics to help out anyone else who is after this info.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:41 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: CD Changer and aux inputs (stingrey)

It works. The peripheral gmh20t adapter harness to the back of the radio adds a 9 pin female harness to the stock radio (the vette radio has a 20 pin harness). With this 9 pin harness you can add a gmasx and alpine cd changer. The gmasx also adds a aux input to toggle between. Now with this adapter I wonder if you can add other 9 pin accessories like the 3aux input adapter by pie, that may work with the oem cd changer. This would add aux inputs to toggle between the oemcd changer.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

You can thank GM for this, but I have seen these 2 connectors at various locations through out different C5's. However, here are the two most popular places.
:yesnod:

on my 2002, the one connector was in the righ-hand lower corner (under the carpeting)... but the other one was between the fuse box and the BCM - not on top like the pic shows.

Get notified of new replies

To CD Changer and aux inputs

Quick Reply: CD Changer and aux inputs