Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pioneer AVIC-N1 Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:25 PM
WilliamCall
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Pioneer AVIC-N1 Installation Help

I'm planning on installing the Pioneer AVIC-N1 into my 04 CE and am soliciting advice or lessons learned before I get started. I already have a good start thanks to DeeGee. I've already ordered the wiring harness adapter that allows me to use the factory speakers. But I do have a couple of questions:

1) Can I use my factory CD changer or do I have to replace it?

2) Has anybody installed the remote unit under the passenger seat? How was it done?

3) Is it true that I can mount the GPS antenna under the body panel above the rear bumper? I thought satellite antennas were line of sight.

4) Is there a good place to ground the wiring near the HU, or do I have to run a special ground wire from the engine compartment? The wiring harness has multiple grounds, and I thought I read not to connect them to the same grounding terminal. True/false? Why?

Any answers to these questions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:41 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Can I use my factory CD changer or do I have to replace it?

you have to replace it

2) Has anybody installed the remote unit under the passenger seat? How was it done?

not sure about this one

3) Is it true that I can mount the GPS antenna under the body panel above the rear bumper? I thought satellite antennas were line of sight.

You can mount it under the bumper, that material is nearly transparent to the gps antenna

4) Is there a good place to ground the wiring near the HU, or do I have to run a special ground wire from the engine compartment? The wiring harness has multiple grounds, and I thought I read not to connect them to the same grounding terminal. True/false? Why?

Usually you want to try to mount all the ground wires to the same ground point as long as it's not the battery terminal. This is to avoid a ground loop.

Hope this helps
Old 01-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Beardown3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I have one and its been a nightmare

I think the system itself kicks *** and the GPS is awesome. I have my antenna for the GPS hidden inside the crossmember above the passenger seat and I never have a problem with a signal. The DVD ,CD, and MP3 work great. However, for some reason the FM reception is f-ing ****. I've had 4 pioneer master installers replace my head unit, replace my brain, replace all the wiring, check my dual antenaa, all adapters, I mean everything...and overall the reception sucks and they say its due to the car itself. I live in Orange County california and I never had We've grounded in more places than u can imagine and no improvement. Anyway, they were willing to giv eme my money back but I finally ended up just getting XM radio and not listeningto free radio. Oh well.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:55 AM
im20agn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Beardown3
I think the system itself kicks *** and the GPS is awesome. I have my antenna for the GPS hidden inside the crossmember above the passenger seat and I never have a problem with a signal. The DVD ,CD, and MP3 work great. However, for some reason the FM reception is f-ing ****. I've had 4 pioneer master installers replace my head unit, replace my brain, replace all the wiring, check my dual antenaa, all adapters, I mean everything...and overall the reception sucks and they say its due to the car itself. I live in Orange County california and I never had We've grounded in more places than u can imagine and no improvement. Anyway, they were willing to giv eme my money back but I finally ended up just getting XM radio and not listeningto free radio. Oh well.
I'm interested in the location of your GPS antenna please provide a picture.

I found a good ground at a ground strap just in front of the fire wall on the driver side it is fastened to a stud on the frame so I fastened a ground wire to that ran it through the fire wall which is plastic and to the left of the brake is a rubber pad I punched through that and hooked the wire to a grounding block which I installed. I ran all of my grounds to this block.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Glex
Intermediate

Where do you make the VSS connection for the AVIC-N1?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:04 PM
WilliamCall
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

All,
Thanks for your inputs!

Glex - The VSS is the pin 50 of the number 2 connector to the PCM, which is located under the battery. You'll have to get to it by jacking up the right hand side of the car and remove a panel from underneath. The VSS wire is green and white striped. I'm planning on splicing it at the PCM and then run the wire thru the firewall.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:25 PM
noran01
Burning Brakes

As far as mounting the brain, i mounted it underneath the passenger seat. Just take the seat out (VERY easy) and i ran all the wires under the carpet following the power for the seats then along the door sills, under the fuse panel then to the dash. I actually mounted it to the floor using velcro instead of bolting it down.

I never connected the VSS connection but it did pick up the speed and stuff like that and it was VERY close. I never really used it so i couldn't tell ya, but as far as the acurracy of the GPS without that wire being connected was perfect.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Glex
Intermediate

My mainunit is installed under-dash forward of the glove box. GPS antenna is under-dash dead center. 12-Disc Changer is in the left rear cubby whole. Installing an 80GB 2.5" HD that plays DIVX/WMV/MP3 thru the AUX AV. The problem is trying to focus when the S/C kicks in!!!! Still don't know if I want to go through the hassle of the VSS wire. Does anyone know if hooking-up the VSS will stop the GPS drift while you are at a stand still?

--WilliamCall, THX for the info.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:59 PM
noran01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glex
My mainunit is installed under-dash forward of the glove box. GPS antenna is under-dash dead center. 12-Disc Changer is in the left rear cubby whole. Installing an 80GB 2.5" HD that plays DIVX/WMV/MP3 thru the AUX AV. The problem is trying to focus when the S/C kicks in!!!! Still don't know if I want to go through the hassle of the VSS wire. Does anyone know if hooking-up the VSS will stop the GPS drift while you are at a stand still?

--WilliamCall, THX for the info.
In response to the VSS wire thing, I'm not sure. I would assume it would because the car would be reporting no movement. I still can't believe there isn't another place in the car to grab that wire

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer AVIC-N1 Installation Help

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-N1 Installation Help