Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many parts do you have hidden?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one reason why the "shed" was designed. You can absolutely bet the wife WILL NOT be going in there! Garage is a NO NO!, unless you have storage that she won't look in.

Also, everything costs under $100, especially as it is used

I also have everything delivered to work instead of home.

It's not that she doesn't know I'm buy stuff for the car, just not to the extent that my habbit has become. Keep the small cheap stuff in front of her, to keep away the suspicion, and the expensive stuff goes rigth from the box into the car without her knowing. Never leave new boxes lying around the house.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Gump
you guys are a trip. bosslady pays all the bills, I just sign the checks. can't hide anything, all mods were bought under teh guise of added-safety.

I mean come on, who KNOWS what may have happened if I hadn't changed the stock cam when I did! and when my water pump went, coolant go all OVER the exhaust manifolds--the only right thing to do was to replace them, for safety's sake, with long tubes. etc., etc.

rat me out and I'll cut ya.
ANd the Sticky Hoosiers your getting from Woosh, all in the name of better grip and safty
Old 06-23-2005, 04:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,403 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerdrvr
"you don't want to know" = You don't want to know
Heck, I don't want to know!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-23-2005, 07:25 PM
danboback
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always mention that I will sell the old part on ebay to pay for the new one.....but I never do!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 07:28 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerdrvr
You mean the "code" I use when she asks how much the new stuff cost?

"pretty much nothing" = $100-250
"A few bucks" = $250-500
"not too bad" = $500-$1500
"pretty expensive" = $1500-5000
"you don't want to know" = You don't want to know
This is soooo true
Old 06-23-2005, 08:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf Dog
What a great topic! Does anyone's wife really share our interest in cars and racing like we do? If so, you're a lucky man. I remember getting my Borla quad tips on a year or so ago. As always, I get the stuff done then try to figure out what to say if she notices something. She walked by the car, stopped, gave me "that" look and said,"did you get new wheels?" Nope, same old wheels, dear! Your eyes must be playing tricks on you. When I get new stuff, and its bigger than my wallet, I usually leave it at my friends shop. Keeps me from having to disguise it before I come home
I'm lucky she loves to go to all the events, watch racing on TV especially F-1, pack the truck, time me, go for parts if I need anything and tells me to be careful

Me asking to buy something or hiding stuff not in this life

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-24-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
ANd the Sticky Hoosiers your getting from Woosh, all in the name of better grip and safty
damn right! GOT to have grip while I'm practicing to become a better, safer driver.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Hehe... funny thread. The current GF has gone to VIR w/ me twice and has had a great time. She wants to auto-x her Mazda 626 just for the hell of it.

That said, sometimes she gets jealous of the attention I put into the car, but she does understand.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:32 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sweetie races the car and complains when we don't have enough tire or power

During the build of the orange car, we had 2 bedrooms in the new house full of old and new parts, and all the body panels laid out in the game room (in the shape of the car of course). At one point, all of the parts for the H/C were on the kitchen counter!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BPC5R

During the build of the orange car, we had 2 bedrooms in the new house full of old and new parts, and all the body panels laid out in the game room (in the shape of the car of course). At one point, all of the parts for the H/C were on the kitchen counter!
Makes racing fun and easy I get the same complains like "Can't we lighten the car more?"
Old 06-24-2005, 10:34 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Way too many! I have a spare engine and trans for my 70 roadrunner, not to mention a crank, and heads. I have 3 full size vidmars full of 70's vintage mopar parts. I also still find parts from my 71 Barracuda, 92 Daytona IROC RT, 98 WS6. The corvette list is growing and growing. The spare wheels (Z16 Polished) are in boxes in the corner. Track wheels are not far behind.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:58 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by BPC5R

Now she is really a keeper! Wow are you a lucky man...
She have a sister?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I had 20 tires stacked up in the garage and she never said anything. It's hard to believe she didn't notice them but she didn't say a word. Maybe I'll get a bill for them when I least expect it. You can bet your azz, it won't be cheap!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:06 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Well, I had 20 tires stacked up in the garage and she never said anything. It's hard to believe she didn't notice them but she didn't say a word. Maybe I'll get a bill for them when I least expect it. You can bet your azz, it won't be cheap!
That's why I have to hide everything, Bought the car...had to remodel the bathrooms, buying a lift...wood floors need to be refinished, bought a trailer...yard gets landscaped, go on a corvette trip to North Carolina...have to take the family to Europe. Everything I do for the car costs me double!! This is getting really expensive....
Old 06-27-2005, 04:59 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by CPT Z06
What is this wife you speak of?

You know, that thing that is supposed to be barefoot and pregnent in the kitchen.... cooking you dinner.

Quick Reply: How many parts do you have hidden?