Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Brake upgrade for track days?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 05:44 PM
timmp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Brake upgrade for track days?

Having recently purchased a Z51 C6, after many other high performance cars, I was hoping some of you might share your thoughts as to the necessity of a big brake upgrade for this car for use at track days. While I intend to upgrade the brake fluid and pads for track use, do you recommend replacing the calipers pistons with stainless steel pistons, or adding brake ducts...or will all of this in combination still turn out to be insufficient for 20 minute sessons at Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, or Sears Point (assuming pretty heavy brake use)? Past vehicles have had BAER monoblocks, Big Brembos and such, and have had more than sufficient braking. I also intend to change the rotors, as the Z51 will crack after sufficient track time.

Since the C6 uses the same calipers as the C5 Z06, I'm hoping some of you can give some advice.

Thanks!

tim
Old 09-18-2005, 06:52 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Tim

BBKs are not really nesscary for track days. But a few modifications will help:

1- DRM brake ducts for added cooling
2- A good DOT 4 brake fluid
3 - depending on the number of Track days you plan on doing going to race pads then back to street pads for street use.

What several ppl with C6 Z51s have done is purchased the C5 caliper bracket which is smaller and then use the C5 Raybestos rotor from NAPA. Drilled rotors will crack sooner then latter. Guys keep the D/S for latter or pen holders on their desks.

I use the Wilwood H pads, Castrol SRF brake fluid, SS pistions and the DRM ducts and I have no problem out braking most porshces GT3s with BBKs on.

The PBR caliper is a very good caliper and designed to have as much braking force/ capablities as most 4 pistion calipers.

Hope this helps a bit

Tom
Old 09-18-2005, 07:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do the pads, fluid and ducts first then see if you run out of brake for your liking. The pads are expendable and the ducts you need anyway.

My six pot Wilwood pads are cheaper work better and last 3X as long so you save money fast. LGM may have a kit for the C6 soon if not already. He sells Stoptechs also.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-18-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:30 PM
timmp
Advanced

Default Thanks for the input

Thank you AU N EGL and John Shiels for your input. Big brakes are definately cool, but expensive. It is great to know that I can get reliable track-ready braking from the stock system

Thanks again

tim
Old 09-19-2005, 10:25 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timmp
Thank you AU N EGL and John Shiels for your input. Big brakes are definately cool, but expensive. It is great to know that I can get reliable track-ready braking from the stock system
I'm nowhere near as experienced as either of the guys above but I can 2nd the comments on the Wilwoods. And they aren't actualy that expensive.

I think I payed around $1100 (including a set of street pads) from LG and then $140 for the track pads. The pads start out 3/4" thick and after 3 weekends are only marginally thinner, so they're definitely going to last a while. Whereas with the stock calipers I tapered pads in a weekend.

Pad changes are also a joy with only one 4.5mm allen head bolt to remove and out they slide, so they are very nice for going back and forth between street/track pads. And the overall feel and repeatability of the Wilwoods is awesome.

I went this route because with a C5 have 17"s up front, and any big brake kit dictates going to 18"s...so a $5k stoptech kit really gets to be closer to $7k. $7k buys alot of track time.
JMHO.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:27 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Tim,
95% of guys running at the track can use stock brakes. With all the upgrades to the system. The need for huge brakes comes when the horsepower level increases. These are heavy cars and you need to maintain whatever system you are running.

Randy
Old 09-19-2005, 12:51 PM
timmp
Advanced

Default Randy - thanks for the input!

I'll be calling you if the horsepower levels on my C6 get up to the land of big brakes. What I would like to see is a kit where I could put 6 pistons on the front, and my fronts on the rear, for maybe 2-3K (probably unrealistic price wise, but ya got to dream...).

thanks!

tim
Old 09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by timmp
What I would like to see is a kit where I could put 6 pistons on the front, and my fronts on the rear, for maybe 2-3K (probably unrealistic price wise, but ya got to dream...).

thanks!

tim
Wilwoods up front and stock rears for ~$1200

Wilwoods up front and stock fronts on rears for $1800 'cause you'll likely need a modified master.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:51 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

It will be very interesting to see A) If the new C6Z calipers fit, and B) What the price will be. I assume that they will need 18 inch wheels though.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Waiting also and then flip the Wilwoods on the rear. Pads will be expensive I'm sure. Then the rotor question $$$$
Old 09-19-2005, 05:13 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoffman
It will be very interesting to see A) If the new C6Z calipers fit, and B) What the price will be. I assume that they will need 18 inch wheels though.

Someone already fit 'em on a C5 with thin spoke rears in front and spacers.

EDIT: It's a stick now http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...3&forum_id=103

Spoke clearance on that guy's car was SCARY marginal IMHO, but would be fine with different spoke design, maybe even with C5 Z06 rears in front.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:45 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Awesome, thanks. If that caliper is really $329 WOW!
Old 09-21-2005, 09:28 PM
rbeckham
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Awesome, thanks. If that caliper is really $329 WOW!
Not only would the calipers be cheap at that price, but the rumored price of the pads would be a bargain as well compared to real race pads for the C5. Don't know what the compound is, but it has to be robust for this car - maybe equal or similar to popular C5 race pads. This could turn out to be the most popular upgrade for the C5 ever made.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:25 AM
SilverBulletZ06
Le Mans Master

I knew I should have gone to 18/19" rims!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:39 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This will be interesting when the car comes out.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Brake upgrade for track days?

Quick Reply: C6 Brake upgrade for track days?