Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking a C6-no pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Cisitalia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the reasons why I have not bought a C6, yet. I researched this issue and no good solutions. I wanted to use CCW wheels w/o sensors. I did not want to use stock wheels.

I liked Rex's idea of putting four new sensors in a capped pvc pipe with an air stem to pressurize. Then just throw it in the trunk.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
I liked Rex's idea of putting four new sensors in a capped pvc pipe with an air stem to pressurize. Then just throw it in the trunk.
That sure seems like the easiest way to skin the cat.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
That sure seems like the easiest way to skin the cat.
Any good used Miltiary ammo can works--as long as its still air/water tight.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

don't the wheels have to spin to activate? I guess you could "shake" the can??!!

Or maybe it's the car that activates in the C6's
Old 10-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

David, I can't speak for the C6, but I left my stock 2002 wheels with the sensors mounted in the garage for a while, and everytime I would pull in and just get close to them, the car would pick them up. Even now that they are on the other side of my apartment, at least 20 meters away for the driveway, the car still picks up one or 2 of the occasionally.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Wow... what an annoying issue to deal with.

On my Mom's '99 with sensors it doesn't register a pressure on the DIC until you hit 15 mph I believe. Not sure what you'd need to do on the C6.

Funny that they put so much emphasis on tracing the cars yet do this to you w/ no good way to override it.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
On my Mom's '99 with sensors it doesn't register a pressure on the DIC until you hit 15 mph I believe. Not sure what you'd need to do on the C6.
On later model C5's they changed that. The sensors were active even when sitting still and didn't require movement.

I don't know what they have done on the C6's.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

The tire sensor is an OBD III requirement and as a result the tire sensor cannot be progrommed out since it is in the firmware. All C6 Z06's and 06+ will have it. Some early 05's did not have this update when made. If you pull a fuse, etc it will go into disable mode, from what we were told. The sensors are the same or similar as on the Yukon/Tahoe vehicles with sensors. I am not sure if they have aluminum stems or not, but if they are steel, you might want to swap them out.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:08 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Just thinking out loud:

I'm not sure if anyone has cracked a sensor open yet, but the normal operation is the pressure sensor to correspond to either a resistance or voltage. If someone has the inclination, you could probably replace the actual pressure sensor with one to trick it into outputting the "ok" signal to the car.

<edit> after looking over datasheets for some of the motorola sensors, it looks like most are integrated solutions (ICs), so it would be quite a bit more difficult than discrete components. still, an aftermarket should be able to come up with something.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Yes the sensors will have a resistance or a voltage that corresponds to psi, then that is transmitted at a frequency to a receiver to the cars computer.

So the solution is to dream up a "black box" that emulates the same resistance/voltage and transmits to the computers receiver the corresponding required tire pressure. This is easy doing for an I&C nerd technician or engineer. Anyways I agree, an elegant solution should be on the horizon I'm sure.

Interesting comments about tires not on the car but nearby affecting the car that already has four tires with sensors. What happens to the computer when it has more than four sensors sending information? I would have thought they would be adjustable to a unique code. Kinda like a garage door transmitter. Oh well. GM has to aggravate us to no end.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
Y
So the solution is to dream up a "black box" that emulates the same resistance/voltage and transmits to the computers receiver the corresponding required tire pressure. This is easy doing for an I&C nerd technician or engineer. Anyways I agree, an elegant solution should be on the horizon I'm sure.
So if some one designed a SUPER BLACK box that had a rotating frequency to the GM / Corvette TPS and the put that SUper Black Box on the pit wall to signel each car that when by they had a flat. Could that happen too??
Old 10-26-2005, 06:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't need a computer to tell me when I have a flat tire. Too bad 99.9% of drivers on the road are incompetent, rude, and dangerous.

It still bugs me that every car I buy seems to have a good 1/3rd of its value in safety crap(8 airbags etc). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for seat belts and even 2 airbags, but you reach a point where driving is simply dangerous, and we need to get over it.

btw, I won't be wearing my head restraint this weekend (may not even wear my nomex unless I get cold)
Old 10-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Tom,

Anything is possible. I think we need to sanitize this thread for national security reasons. We don't want to give the terrorists any more ideas to mess with us. No "super black boxes" for the terrorists.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:23 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
btw, I won't be wearing my head restraint this weekend (may not even wear my nomex unless I get cold)
why pass on the restraint ?? unless your running factory 3 points...
Old 10-27-2005, 07:11 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

because it is a PITA to get in/out of the car, and you can't turn your head. Besides, I plan on crashing backwards
Old 10-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Dave,

Do you have the HANS?
Old 10-27-2005, 09:23 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

because it is a PITA to get in/out of the car, and you can't turn your head. Besides, I plan on crashing backwards
Don't worry, the computer will keep you in safe mode, you won't even need seat belts

Get notified of new replies

To Tracking a C6-no pressure sensors

Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Jaymz
Pro

I agree that it was a pain when I first started using my Hans. Once I got used to it it was easy to exit the car with it on. After seeing a Mustang burn to the ground @ Beaverun this year I decided to start getting out of the car with it on instead of taking it off while I was in the car. I have been using mine this whole year and don't think I will ever drive without it as I feel naked without it on when racing.

I agree that it does limit side to side head movement but I really only move my head that much while I am in the pits anyway.

The worst peice of safety equipment is sitting in the trailer when you are on the track.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:07 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

I was so worried about this that I purchased a set of wheels and brand new sensors and a $200.00 tool to program them. I put the track wheels (C5 Z06 18 x 10.5's) on the car before I put it on the trailer at home. I brought my street wheels and tires incase I had a problem since I had never been to the track with the C6 and because of worries about running 18 x 10.5 all around. When I got to the track and unloaded I forgot to program the sensors to the car. The next morning, first session I turned off T/C and A/H and did my twenty minutes. I did the same thing for two days and eight sessions of twenty to thirty minutes. I never got a message about tire pressure. Sat. night we installed the street wheels and tires and drove to Waco to see the Baylor Bears play (my son went there). Back to Ft. Worth Sat. night after the game and race rubber installed again Sun. morning. When I was installing my street rubber back on the car to drive it on the trailer I remembered that I had never programed the sensors to the car. I don't know if it worked because my street wheels were sitting ten feet from where I pulled in or what. I even tried comp. mode second to last session on Sun. and it worked perfect! I still think it's cheatin and will keep you from learning as fast to depend on a computer to save your rear but to each his on. My car is a May build. I wish I knew if I really needed the sensors and the tool but since I have already bought them I will keep them just incase. I am doing another track event next month at MRS and I will report back. I may even move my street rubber way away from the car to see if that is what is making it work.

Jerry
Old 10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly, so far, I do hate the electric door crap, and havn't figured out the memory seats/radio yet!
Memory seats will only move when parking brake is on.

Quick Reply: Tracking a C6-no pressure sensors