Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM & BMW

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-1999, 04:20 AM
rob_s
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasnt sure where exactly to put this, but did you hear again tonight the rumors that GM might be looking to buy BMW? The media said the price would be high, as $7-9 billion. That seems like a bargain to me, given that Ford paid $6.7 billion for Volvo.

If GM did buy BMW, what kind of long-term effects do you think this might have on future development? As most know, BMW makes some of the best handling cars on the road. And they also make great engines (Can any one say M5 Sedan @ 400 HP?).

I would actually think this would be a great combo. BMW gets a strong partner, and GM gets a great global brand and some cutting edge engineering. I would love to see what would result if you got the C5 engineers in a room together with the M engineers. Could be a great future. What do you think?

Rob
Old 02-14-1999, 03:43 PM
Fifth
6th Gear

It looks like you are right. I hadnt heard this before, guess I was out of loop. Last I heard, it was Ford that was talking about buying BMW. Here is a story that confirms it:

http://www.autoauth.com/topstories/aw5.htm

As a Vette and BMW owner myself, I do think this has some interesting potential, but even if anything happens, I cant imagine that we sould see any significant changes in the near-term.

The one wild-card is Rover, which makes some piece of *****cars. They are bleeding red, and BMW hasnt been able to help them at all.

We'll see I guess.
Old 02-17-1999, 10:16 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Sounds a lot like the Daimler Benz buyout of Chrysler, except the other way around. I've heard rumors that because Mercedes can't beat the Viper in European racing circuits, they plan to kill the Viper, or redefine it with a puny V6. I just hope BMW doesn't get the upper hand with GM and fiddle with the Corvette!
Racing has taken on a new strategy in the 90's. If you can't beat them, don't build a stronger engine, just buy them out and kill the competition.
I think these mergers are dangerous and unpredictable.
Old 02-17-1999, 11:11 PM
rob_s
5th Gear

Ok, how about this!!!

Take the C5 and stick in the v12 BMW built for use in the Mclaren F1. Belts out something like 650 HP if I recall, fastest production car in the world. 0-60 in about 3.2. And just keeps accelerating.

I have no idea about the logistics if it would fit in the engine compartment or not, but that would be pretty unbelievable.
Old 02-18-1999, 12:07 AM
Brad
Racer

I recall hearing on the news that the original BMW family still owned controlling interest of the company and refused to sell. Maybe they had a change of heart?

Brad
http://home.att.net/~malevolent
Old 02-18-1999, 02:33 AM
Iceman
4th Gear

I believe you are correct. I think they own about 40% or so. But it has been rumored awhile back they they were willing to sell their stake. Of course they strongly deny it. And they will continue to do so until a deal is done just like Ford and Volvo.

I just hope it is GM if anyone. Other rumors inlcuded Volkswagen and Toyota. VW, maybe, but they already have Audi so whats the point? I would really hate to see Toyota get BMW, they would really ruin that company.

Toyota's get my vote for the WORLD's most boring vehicles. 100% appliances, no different than your refrigerator. Maybe its because Toyota started as a sewing machine company...
Old 02-19-1999, 02:06 AM
rob_s
5th Gear

I'll second that motion about Toyota. Very Blah!
Old 02-22-1999, 10:36 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

I heard a Tercel drive by.
(What does "Tercel" mean anyway, or for that matter, "Supra", "Corolla", or any other weird-*** name).
And it SOUNDED like a singer sewing machine, I swear!
Old 02-22-1999, 10:58 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah my ex-wife used to have a Toyota Turkey and then she bought a Toyota Corrodeda. I love it when the RX7 guys put on a high performance flow-thru muffler. Sounds just like an old weed-wacker I used to have... think my ex-wife took that too though.
Old 02-23-1999, 11:57 PM
rob_s
5th Gear

No new news on this. I bet something is happening. Just like Ford. Lots of rumors, lots of denials, quiet, announcement.

Im personally for it.

Get notified of new replies

To GM & BMW

Quick Reply: GM & BMW