Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about VIR Full

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 04:23 PM
1999 C5 Coupe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about VIR Full

I am considering attending my first HPDE with THSCC at VIR (Full) this coming Febuary. My heel/toe downshifting ability is poor at best at this point. Which leads me to my question. Is it possible to run this configuration entirely in 4th gear? My car is a 99 coupe bone stock. From the videos I have seen it looks like it is mostly 3rd/4th gear course. I realize I will be giving up a good deal in spots, but I just want to go out have some fun and come home unscathed. Seems like just leaving the car in 4th will better allow me to concentrate on my line, breaking points, etc. instead of adding that additional variable of trying to execute (several I assume) 4th to 3rd downshifts per lap. Thoughts?

TIA

Chris
Old 12-14-2005, 04:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your don't have to heel and toe just downshift and match revs with a blip.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

The one turn where not downshifting will really hurt you is at Oak Tree. Turn 1 could use 3rd, but you should be able to muddle through that one. By the end of the day on Sunday, I bet you'll be hungry enough to use 3rd in both of those turns.

See you there.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:06 PM
1999 C5 Coupe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Shiels
your don't have to heel and toe just downshift and match revs with a blip.
Yeah I did think about that. I guess that may be the best route to go. Just have to brake a little earlier. Better than slogging out of turns in 4th I suppose.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
thnkfast
Advanced

I was just there a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty new to this and had never been to VIR. I drove the whole first day in 4th. Like Falcon said you will give up quite a bit at Oak Tree and turn 1. I think it helped me learn the line and when I started down shifting on Sunday I think I felt more comfortable than I would have on Saturday. The best part was I knew I had downshifting to look forward to on Sunday. BTW I have a stock '02 ZO6.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:14 PM
1999 C5 Coupe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Falcon
The one turn where not downshifting will really hurt you is at Oak Tree. Turn 1 could use 3rd, but you should be able to muddle through that one. By the end of the day on Sunday, I bet you'll be hungry enough to use 3rd in both of those turns.

See you there.

Thanks Falcon. I thought from watching some of your videos in the past that those two turns might be stretching it trying to use 4th. Especially in a coupe vs Z06 where the gearing is taller and less power/torque.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:24 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See you there.
Heel toe perfection is also not needed....nice...but just be smooth in your downshift...
Old 12-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

The '99 is street-registered, right ? Just practice. Practice practice practice.

I can't NOT do it, as it has been ingrained into my muscle-memory.

Easy to learn.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:22 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I agree - just practice it on the street. Trust me - coming out of oak tree you will like your 3rd gear.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

forget the heel-n-toe on the track untill you can do it perfectly on the street without thinking.

VIR is a 3rd and 4th gear track, but can be run in 4th gear to learn the lines.

There are enough of us vette instructors for THSCC we will have flying around in no time.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-14-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:36 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

now that i think about it - if you just wait to downshift until near the end of the braking zone (turn 1 and oak tree), your speed will probably be low enough that a proper heel-toe isn't as critical.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:41 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by freefall
now that i think about it - if you just wait to downshift until near the end of the braking zone (turn 1 and oak tree), your speed will probably be low enough that a proper heel-toe isn't as critical.
Yup That is what we had John doing last time. and it is the 11a braking zone downshift to 3rd, the turn befor Oak tree, but hey who counts
Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Waiting to shift on that front straight (downshifting late, clutching early) was hard to get myself to do - kept wanting to heel/toe as soon as I could. Habits are hard to break.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 AM
dmwhite
Racer

just focus on braking and downshifting in a straight line (which beginners should be doing anyway) and being smooth with your downshifts and you'll be fine...
Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Waiting to shift on that front straight (downshifting late, clutching early) was hard to get myself to do - kept wanting to heel/toe as soon as I could. Habits are hard to break.
i recently went out and walked turn 1/2 and it was pretty informative, you'll learn why the car feels the way it does in the brake zone and throughout the turn...i highly recommend it for everyone...
Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmwhite
i recently went out and walked turn 1/2 and it was pretty informative, you'll learn why the car feels the way it does in the brake zone and throughout the turn...i highly recommend it for everyone...
That'd be interesting. What group let y'all out for a walk?

I'd like to walk "Hog Pen" and "the snake", too.

Most of the events I've been too the track is so busy with sessions, there's never enough time to get on track for any observation except from the windshield at speed.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:54 AM
dmwhite
Racer

That'd be interesting. What group let y'all out for a walk?

I'd like to walk "Hog Pen" and "the snake", too.

Most of the events I've been too the track is so busy with sessions, there's never enough time to get on track for any observation except from the windshield at speed.
it was a car guys event back in october...we got permission to go out while they while they were picking up the corner workers for lunch (before touring laps)

the snake is too far away, better take the scooter

Get notified of new replies

To Question about VIR Full

Old 12-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmwhite
it was a car guys event back in october...we got permission to go out while they while they were picking up the corner workers for lunch (before touring laps)

the snake is too far away, better take the scooter
When we were there for the BMW Comp school back in September, they took us out on track in trucks with some of the BMW hot shoes. They went real slow and explained each turn, which was real informative. I was in Billy Revis's truck and learned a lot from him. It would've been great if we could have gotten out and walked each of the turns while we out there.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:14 PM
dmwhite
Racer

When we were there for the BMW Comp school back in September, they took us out on track in trucks with some of the BMW hot shoes.
hmm, i dont recall going out in any tucks with the comp school students

They went real slow and explained each turn, which was real informative. I was in Billy Revis's truck and learned a lot from him. It would've been great if we could have gotten out and walked each of the turns while we out there.
Billy would be a good one to learn from, he has a LOT of experience at vir and is a great driver! doesnt he look just like dale earnhardt?

course walking is very informative, even at a track you've driven tons of times....it gives you a new perspective and can help you understand why a car does what it does in particular places...a few of us were discussing T1/2 and decided to go check it out, it helped me out quite a bit...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:20 PM
VT
Racer

And once you get good enough, and you have a lowly stock C5 like me, you may even want to try 2nd around Oak tree to try and keep up with those Z06 that love to go byby on the back straight. I try and learn good lines by following these folks, but they tend to walk away coming out of Oak tree!!! So I have to wait for the next one to catch up and follow down through hogs pen!

Quick Reply: Question about VIR Full