Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$$$...COSTS to run entire T1 season???...$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Scotty B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
That wasn't a dig at you Dave...mostly Scotty! ha ha
That's ok Chris, I never really seemed to have any trouble beating you when I was in a Corvette either...

Originally Posted by wtknight1
I still have hope that you'll come back to the ranks of the underdog Vettes buddy.
Ya just never know do ya...

Ya might wanna check with Lynch though, I hear he is giving "driving lessons" out for free... At least at Memphis...

sbw
Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Back on topic...

Joe Gaudette aka sleeper02Z06 is running his first season on a shoestring... He's in an open trailer, getting left overs from the other racers, and scraping by to repair his car when things like the torque tube let go (Memphis) or the tranny lets go (BeaveRun)...

You can do it on a shoe string and be competitive, but Joe commented to me that he was spending between $3-4K per weekend to run, on average.

I'm contemplating which way to go, and I could afford to race in T1, but don't see the advantage of doing so. It's quite honestly one of the more expensive classes in SCCA to run in, and there are other classes with as much "fun" value... I'm not trying to get noticed, or recognized for setting blistering laps, and want to just do wheel to wheel, door to door racing, where I can be as competitive as the next guy, and where it all should come down to driver, not car...

Just my $.02!

Mike
Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Jaymz
Pro

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Back on topic...

I'm contemplating which way to go, and I could afford to race in T1, but don't see the advantage of doing so. It's quite honestly one of the more expensive classes in SCCA to run in, and there are other classes with as much "fun" value... I'm not trying to get noticed, or recognized for setting blistering laps, and want to just do wheel to wheel, door to door racing, where I can be as competitive as the next guy, and where it all should come down to driver, not car...

Just my $.02!

Mike

I have been racing with NASA for the last 2 1/2 years. I will be running T1 next year. (Or T2 if they switch the classes). I see the advantage as there is alot of good competition in T1 and only competition will drive you to get faster. I thought about SpecMiata but I really enjoy racing a Vette. I was spending almost the same amount racing in NASA, so the 3-4k is a fairly accurate number.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Lots of good feedback in this thread.

Originally Posted by Jaymz
I thought about SpecMiata but I really enjoy racing a Vette.
I dunno....after tracking a Z06 for 3 years, I don't think I would enjoy driving a Miata or smaller car with less hp/tq. Not to knock those that do (and there are a lot of them), I just don't think it's for me. I'm afraid I would be bored to death.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:27 AM
fcarga
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maineiac
Lots of good feedback in this thread.

I dunno....after tracking a Z06 for 3 years, I don't think I would enjoy driving a Miata or smaller car with less hp/tq. Not to knock those that do (and there are a lot of them), I just don't think it's for me. I'm afraid I would be bored to death.

I guarantee you wouldn't be bored in a SpecMiata!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:25 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scotty B
That's ok Chris, I never really seemed to have any trouble beating you when I was in a Corvette either...
sbw

Normally, I wouldn't even bother with this, but I will this time. Let's take a look at those numbers for just a second:

In 2001 (my first year racing), I finished higher than you at the runoffs.
In 2002, I didn't get a chance to do the runoffs due to deployment to Kuwait.
In 2003, I also finished higher than you did.
In 2004, you were 4th and I was 5th. This time however, we were both on the same tire and my car had been professionally prepped...and my fastest lap was .7 faster than yours.
In 2005, you beat me...in your Viper. Applause, applause. My grandmother could have too in that car.

So, to total it up, it's SBW-2, and CWI-2. As you've said before, I'm running the oldest car, on the lowest budget. You have arguably the newest with the highest budget. Hell, I'm still making payments on my car. I'll still be there though. Have a nice day buddy.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Normally, I wouldn't even bother with this, but I will this time. Let's take a look at those numbers for just a second:

In 2004, you were 4th and I was 5th. This time however, we were both on the same tire and my car had been professionally prepped...and my fastest lap was .7 faster than yours.
In 2005, you beat me...in your Viper. Applause, applause. My grandmother could have too in that car.

So, to total it up, it's SBW-2, and CWI-2. As you've said before, I'm running the oldest car, on the lowest budget. You have arguably the newest with the highest budget. Hell, I'm still making payments on my car. I'll still be there though. Have a nice day buddy.
Go get 'im Chris. He might miss a shift again this year at the Runoffs.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

It sounds like you guys have a great time in T1. With all this great friendly competition who would want to race anything else. I love it!!! Thanks for all the info folks.
Rock on.
Ed
Old 06-22-2006, 11:11 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Getting back to the question, the $3K per event is a good start. It can be lower and it can be higher.

Other classes are similarly pricey: Just because a car may only cost $10K (1/3 a used T1 Vette) doesn't mean you will necassarily have a weekly race budget of 1/3 either. There are some costs that are the same for any participant: entry fees, tow fuel, hotels, food, track support (if hired).

Some cars are less expensive to run than others. Tires on Vettes and Vipers are expensive 'cause the tires are so big. A SM or SRF is going to be less so because the tires are jsut smaller, hence cheaper. But if you want to run up front, you will be buying tires at the ssam rate as a T1 Vette.

Brakes are a weekly expenditure with Vettes, not so with Vipers. So in this manner the Viper is less expensive than a Vette. But I need to race many, many weekends to make up the difference between the initial purchase price of the two cars.

First time racers should always buy a used race car. The difference in purchasing cost can/should be applied to learning your trade. The first yera or two is expensive for many reasons: from wrecks to not knowing what needs to be maintained to working out the "bugs" of a new car.

I know it saved me alot of aggravation by going with a proven car from the start. I got more seat time because I wasn't fixing broken parts, other than those I broke by my poor driving.

One last thing to consider when getting a race car: resale. I don't have an answer of what sells better than something else. But you do want to consider it: I think a SM or SRF may be easier to unload than some other options.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Go get 'im Chris. He might miss a shift again this year at the Runoffs.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:10 AM
Scotty B
Racer

Geeeze I wonder why I am so compelled to respond to this stuff... Is it for me? Is it for you? Or is it just an effort to set the record straight...? Oh well, a little more detail generally changes how things look...

2001 me= taken out by a Viper driver while running Second in a vette, you ever run second at Runoffs Chris?
me= was fighting for 3rd the entire race with a faster lap than 3rd place finisher Schaeder & ran out of fuel on last lap and lost 2 spots to finish 5th in a corvette. You remember Shaeder Chris? the guy you took out for your 5th place finish in 2004?

me= lost a $hitty legal 2003 timing chain as Heinricy and I checked out on the field by ONE SECOND PER LAP and DNF'd in a vette whille Heinricy ran the illegal 2004 updated chain which I saw in the impound teardown and never said anything about because I was a loyal GM guy...
Yes you did a fine job Chris on your 5 sets of tires to my 2 sets since contract drivers were only allowed 2 sets and we ran 5th heat cycle tires, congratulations, you managed to finish just behind a guy on 5th heat cycle tires with his exhaust smashed shut from an impact by another vette and a diff which had drained itself of all it's vital fluids and was locking up, you'da man!

Yes Chris, back on form plenty of tires no broken timing chains and no a$$ pounding from other Corvettes and right back to top form checking out on the field at the rate of ONE SECOND PER LAP as it should be...

You have arguably the newest with the highest budget. Hell, I'm still making payments on my car. I'll still be there though. Have a nice day buddy.
Now quit whinin and makin excuses and drive yer car you sissy
You know I love ya but man oh man yer losin focus here buddy...

I am glad yer comin but you need to get yer head in the game, or yer result is gonna suffer my freind and it is very obvious you have already defeated yerself and made all the excuses why you can't win before you even take to the track... You and I have already discussed this many times and we both know you can't win as long as JH continues to run Corvettes it's very unlikley anyone else will ever win in a Corvette but my prediction is a prancing horse for this year on the top step...

sbw

Last edited by Scotty B; 06-23-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:22 AM
Scotty B
Racer

Originally Posted by fastzr1
It sounds like you guys have a great time in T1. With all this great friendly competition who would want to race anything else. I love it!!! Thanks for all the info folks.
Rock on.
Ed
The funny thing is here, all these guys are fierce competitors and most of them jab and poke each other on the BB's but will do anything for each other at the track to hep one another out and even though we might not agree on everything we race hard and clean without ever any intentional contact (that I know of) and it is a great bunch of guys!

Regardless of what car you pick David & Chris are right you want to buy a racer already built and developed, it will save you tons of dollars and aggrevation...

The Corvettes are cheap to buy (reletively) and aren't too bad to keep up until you really start ringing the last 1 or 2 second out of them then they become somewhat of a parts glutton to keep sharp but hey, the parts are reasonable right?

C'mon in the water is fine and it is a hoot for sure!

sbw
Old 06-23-2006, 08:06 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

The funny thing is here, all these guys are fierce competitors and most of them jab and poke each other on the BB's but will do anything for each other at the track to hep one another out and even though we might not agree on everything we race hard and clean without ever any intentional contact (that I know of) and it is a great bunch of guys!

C'mon in the water is fine and it is a hoot for sure!

sbw
I agree!
Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I'm sorry Scotty, I didn't see the link to the "Excuses Page" on the results sheet.

Gee, that statement sounded very familiar didn't it?!?!!?!?!? Don't worry about my state of mind bud. You concentrate on your shifting and I'll concentrate on my starts. he he

And you are right - about JH and the Vettes.

Actually, Mr. Shader took me out in 03, when I had to pass everybody just to get back up to 7th...or maybe 8th. ouch! I got a lot of TV time though.

In 04, I only got 2 sets of tires from Kumho. I bought one more from the Tire Rack (3 total). I raced on the 4th heat cycle.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:35 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

...we race hard and clean without ever any intentional contact (that I know of) and it is a great bunch of guys!
sbw
I don't know man, I think Freddie has had it in for you on several occasions!!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:46 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

and who says all the freindly paint trading is on the track ??
Old 06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

but my prediction is a prancing horse for this year on the top step...

sbw
Now that's an interesting observation. At 600 bucks a rotor, Ed must have quite a budget, Huh. Man, I need to get adopted by a rich guy soon as I finish learning how to drive

Get notified of new replies

To $$$...COSTS to run entire T1 season???...$$$

Old 06-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Scotty B
Racer

Originally Posted by NJCRUISER
Now that's an interesting observation. At 600 bucks a rotor, Ed must have quite a budget, Huh. Man, I need to get adopted by a rich guy soon as I finish learning how to drive
It's not Ed's budget, it's Scott Tuckers that seems to be able to handle whatever comes his way...

I'll tell you what else Evan, I'm gonna laugh my *** off when that car runs off and leaves everyone for dead hoping for a second place at Runoffs... We will not write letters nor will we campaign against it, we've spent a year on the other end of that kind of persecution and I wouldn't wish that on anybody...

Right now guys like Chris are cryin like babies about established teams with long resumes doing well in a car that's "different" than his and all the while some new guy is gonna waltz in with a helluva hot rod and fly right by all of us completely under the radar because everyone is so focused in the opposite direction...

sbw
Old 06-24-2006, 12:59 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's simply amazing and awesome that someone is willing and ABLE to campaign a prancing horse and do well, as long as they are within the rules! I may drive the car that's on it's way out, but it's what I can afford and it's more fun than I can put into words. Do they give backmarkers airtime at the runoffs, I'm gonna need that!! I'll just be happy and proud to be there. To be in the NEdiv as a rookie and go my first year, I feel that is a personal accomplishment.

Joe
Old 06-24-2006, 06:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
. To be in the NEdiv as a rookie and go my first year, I feel that is a personal accomplishment.

Joe
Damn Straight Joe. Congrats.

Tom

Quick Reply: $$$...COSTS to run entire T1 season???...$$$