Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

World Challenge GT Race Report Salt Lake City

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:26 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default World Challenge GT Race Report Salt Lake City

Most of you know the results by now, but for those who don't, consider this a spoiler.

Well, this race was thought by us to be un-winnable due to the recent negative adjustments. But as we found out, the 4.5 mile race track consisted of only 15 seconds on the long straight. The remaining 2 minutes and 41 seconds were spent in corners, or short shoots leading to and from corners. So in effect, it is a sweeping high speed autoX.

Our Corvette was able to put the excellent handling of our C6 Z chassis to good use to post a new record qualifying speed to get the pole.

Now keep in mind that qualifying in the World Challenge series is a technical exercise that tries to take advantage of the 1 or 2 laps on the "sweet spot" of the tires. The Toyo tires only have about 5 miles of extra sticky grip in them. They go on to perform very consistently for the next 150 race miles. But the key to qualifying is to not use up any of that 5 miles on your out lap, then hit it hard, like a Nascar one lap qualifying.

We have come to be very good at this and I got my 3rd pole out of 6 races. And since this was the first WC race at Miller motorsports park, it is a new qualifying record.

So we would start from the pole. Left side front row. The rules allow Launch control, and Traction control. But the track at nearly 4500 ft above sea level, and he heat gave a negative 8000 DA for the race. That killed the power and rendered the TC unnecessary.

So we got a good start, leading by 3 ft into turn one. That doesn't sound like too much, but it is enough to elbow my way into the lead leaving turn one. My goal was to lead the first lap and if we lost the lead, then save my car enough to have tires left at the end. The track temp was around 135 degrees, so we expected the tires to go off durnig the race.

Well, on lap 2 the Porsche 997 of Imery, went off in turn 21. That lost the spot for him. At the same time, Andy Pilgrim had an off also and that allowed the Corvette C6 of Reese to move into 2nd place.

Reese and I had agreed to hold our positions if we ended up 1-2 in the early part of the race, but racing is racing, and he wanted to lead the race. And since racing is racing, I opted to not let him.

The only down side to he and I racing for the front spot was that we both burned our cars down. He wore out his car totally, and his car died with 4 laps to go.

My car was used up. Especially my right front from all the left hand sweepers and hard lefts. So I cooled it for 2 laps, but I still was never able to reach the speed that I had early in the race with good tires.

My tire condition allowed the Porsche 997 and Pilgrim to catch up and on the last lap, the P car 997 was able to get along side of me.

Since he is a rookie, it was easy to control the next corner, and I balked him and put about 2 car lengths between us. I then took my car deep into the sweeper at the end of the "inside straight" and that gave me enough of a cushion to cross the finish line 1/2 second ahead of him, with Pilgrim in the caddy just behind the P car.

All in all, I enjoyed the track. I tested there for 2 days in Sonny Whelen's C5 which made all the difference in the world. I thank Sonny for his help. This result puts me 12 points up in the championship with 4 races left. No DNFs and consistent finishes will help us to win this.

After the race, I did a great "Donut" on the start finish line. And in the interview after the race, I gave a shout out to "My pals at the Corvette forum". So be on the look out for that during this Saturday's 4pm eastern coverage on Speed.

I will look forward to racing there again. We go to Elkhart Lake next, and we hope that the SCCA will adjust our Corvettes up a bit on the straights, and add weight or something to slow our superior cornering power. That would go a long way to parity.

Thanks again for all the support, and we will See You At the Races!

Lou Gigliotti LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 07-20-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:31 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Job Lou
Old 07-20-2006, 01:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Good Read Lou. Congrates again
Old 07-20-2006, 02:00 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,407 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
...but racing is racing, and he wanted to lead the race. And since racing is racing, I opted to not let him.
Lou, I think you've got a new slogan for LG Motorsports!

Once again, congrats! I'll be out of town this weekend, but that's what VCRs are for!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-20-2006, 03:38 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must record the race this weekend....

Sounds like a well earned win against the stacked deck. SCCA would look silly doing anything more against the C6 - although that has not always stopped them.

Keep running fast
Old 07-20-2006, 03:39 PM
sundevilfan
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I really enjoyed your recap of the race. Especially so because I was there to see it! Thanks!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:39 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great read and even better result. Go, Go, Go for the rest of the season.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
So in effect, it is a sweeping high speed autoX.
I'll have to see if I can check it out when I go back to the west coast.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what will your SCCA friend do to you now? Tie your hands together.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:24 PM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Lou,
Thanks for the write up and congratulations as well.
Mike
Old 07-20-2006, 06:50 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by John Shiels
what will your SCCA friend do to you now? Tie your hands together.
I am not sure, but I think they see that the strong point of the Corvette c6 is handling, not raw power. Remember we only have 6 liters compared to the 8.3 liters of the viper which is 510 cu in.

I would say that they will probably give us our Restrictors back, then add weight to slow the car down in the corners etc. That way the weight affects the entire performance package, not just the top speed.

But then what do I know.

thanks guys,

Lou Gigliotti
Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. Good reading and I guess we'll see how things work out.

How did you like Miller Motorsports park? I hear a lot of the SCCA Club guys liked the track.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:51 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Congrats again Lou

Old 07-22-2006, 12:13 AM
VinceAD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lou,
Congrats on the race and good luck this weekend!
Old 07-22-2006, 03:26 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Thanks for the write up. It it weren't for these write ups, I wouldn't know what was going on. Being an over the road truck driver and not having sattelite tv in the truck I am at a loss for viewing. Good Luck with the rest of the season. Remember...Racing is racing!!!!

Bob
Old 07-22-2006, 06:44 PM
BRICKMAN
Racer

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Nice Win, Lou and points leader keep on keeping on!
Old 07-22-2006, 06:46 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Great race Lou. Congratulations on the pole, the win and what should be a first in points now. I'm glad you were able to hold off the Porsche. Loved the shout out to your Forum friends.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To World Challenge GT Race Report Salt Lake City

Old 07-22-2006, 06:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Off to Road America Go get'um Lou
Old 07-22-2006, 07:09 PM
95LT1_4FUN
Heel & Toe

Hey,Lou. Excellent job!I just saw the race and it was fantastic! great run!I like your C6R! Thanks for saying hi,that was cool,too.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations Lou! I just watched it on Speed. It got exciting there at the end! You done good!

Quick Reply: World Challenge GT Race Report Salt Lake City