Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road race tires & wheels for C6 - How's this setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:14 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Road race tires & wheels for C6 - How's this setup?

I have been researching tires and wheels to use for my C6 at NASA events in the TTA class. I currently run a highly modified C4 in the TTR class and I want to have a set of track tires for my C6 in case the C4 has a mechanical problem and I am unable to fix it at the track. I have looked at using the 18" C5 Z06 wheel front and rear, and also at using 18x9.5 and 19x11 C6 Z06 style reproductions fron House of Wheels.

It would appear that the 18x10.5 C5 Zo6 wheels would be the cheapest way to go. The R6 tire is available in a 295/30/18 and this is closest in diameter and rim fit. I would also be able to rotate them front to rear. However, the price difference in the tires is around $200 per set and since the C6 won't be my primary track car this is no big deal. If I go with the 18x9.5 and 19x11 I can run a 275/35/18 front and a 325/30/19 rear and get a lot more rubber on the ground. Some guys here are running these tires on the stock 18x8.5 and 19x10 wheels and the tires are larger than ideal. With an 11 in the rear it will still be under the recommended rim width of 12" but better than the 10" some guys are doing now. You are allowed 20 points under the new rules before being bumped up in class and the wider tires will add 10 according to what I read. Any thoughts from those with knowledge and experience with this? Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry for the triple post. My computer was having problems submitting the thread.

Last edited by vetracer; 01-12-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: triple post
Old 01-12-2007, 03:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Make sure you check the NASA TT rules about tire sizes. You could easly get bumped up to TTU or TTR.

the C6 has what 2 points to work with?? Sway bars and bushings are free.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:55 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Make sure you check the NASA TT rules about tire sizes. You could easly get bumped up to TTU or TTR.

the C6 has what 2 points to work with?? Sway bars and bushings are free.
You are absolutely right about reading the rules closely. The C6 already gets 7 points added to it just to run the TTA class. The change to a 40 compound tire such as the Hoosier R4 adds 10 points. Then you are allowed to run a maximum section width of 295 mm and you have to add 7 points to run the 325 mm tires. That's 24 points right there. It appears that there might be a points assessment for the A6 paddle shift of 3 points, although I'm not sure they aren't referring to an aftermarket non-OEM setup. Since I'm out there more to have fun and go fast rather than stay in TTA I might still want to go with the wider tires. The alternative would be to run a 295/30/19 rear and that would give me +7 initial, +10 for the Hoosier R6's and +1 for the 295's. That's 18 points and as long as I don't get hit with 3 points for the paddle shift I'm under 20 points. The C6 paddle setup isn't an advantage on a road course IMO anyway, I would have preferred a manual knowing I was going to track this car but that's another debate...

Get notified of new replies

To Road race tires & wheels for C6 - How's this setup?

Quick Reply: Road race tires & wheels for C6 - How's this setup?