Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Club HPDE 160 drivers..

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Vette Club HPDE 160 drivers..

2.5 mile track.... What kind of event is this? Safe? Unsafe? 4 groups + 1 instructor group.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you could give us a little more information on what track and what group is running the event you would get more information. HPDE is usually high speed track time with run groups based on drivers ability. Most groups run with instructors in the car. Usually a great way to get started in road racing or just if you want to get track time and become a better driver.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The event has worked good fr years. It is the Pocono long course. Every year a few yahoo's need to be straighten out but it has never had serious problem since I first went in '99. Great event NEPA and Ferrari Club run it. You see some 962 Porsches show up
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
If you could give us a little more information on what track and what group is running the event you would get more information. HPDE is usually high speed track time with run groups based on drivers ability. Most groups run with instructors in the car. Usually a great way to get started in road racing or just if you want to get track time and become a better driver.
I think his point was 160 cars, 2.5 miles, 5 run groups. Assuming perfect distribution that's 32 cars per run group. Which means each car gets 412.5 feet of track to play with on its own...
Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I think his point was 160 cars, 2.5 miles, 5 run groups. Assuming perfect distribution that's 32 cars per run group. Which means each car gets 412.5 feet of track to play with on its own...
Rule of thumb is 10-13 cars per mile for safe running.

So on a 2.5 mile track that is 25 to 32 cars per group.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:14 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Rule of thumb is 10-13 cars per mile for safe running.

So on a 2.5 mile track that is 25 to 32 cars per group.
Wow, last month at WGI 2nd day, a lot of people left because they thought it was going to rain, blue run group only had 8-9 cars, it was great.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gkmccready

and, that was exactly the opposite of what occurred. It turned into 30+ cars all jammed up bumper to bumper on the infield. Then, on the straightaways, it was every man for himself and cars passing 3 or 4 wide. Whoever blew by more cars without a point-by was free and clear sailing. The whole thing literally looked like a train wreck waiting to happen, but, other than a few spinouts, I don't think there was any wall or car contact.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have stayed for day 2...It was wonderful! After lunch there couldn't have been more than 30 cars total. Still had 4 sessions left for the day. Green and White combined didn't have 10 cars and the last 2 green and white sessions there was only 4 of us on the track. I think Red also only had 4 for the last 2 sessions. 7 sessions in one day and still after packing up was on the road by 4:30pm!
I will admit the first day was close to crazy. I think red had 45 or 50 cars and green white was combined and had over 50 cars.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
and, that was exactly the opposite of what occurred. It turned into 30+ cars all jammed up bumper to bumper on the infield. Then, on the straightaways, it was every man for himself and cars passing 3 or 4 wide. Whoever blew by more cars without a point-by was free and clear sailing. The whole thing literally looked like a train wreck waiting to happen, but, other than a few spinouts, I don't think there was any wall or car contact.
and some ppl wonder why acctual SCCA or NASA racing is safer???
Old 05-30-2007, 04:49 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default I thought it was great !

I was in the red group. During the driver meeting I was thinking it was going to be a zoo. But traffice was not bad and oint buys were plentiful.

I had a good time. Joe ran a nice event. Nice job Joe !
Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
and some ppl wonder why acctual SCCA or NASA racing is safer???
It's not!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:31 PM
sasnglass77
Race Director

Originally Posted by GB'sZo6
I was in the red group. During the driver meeting I was thinking it was going to be a zoo. But traffice was not bad and oint buys were plentiful.

I had a good time. Joe ran a nice event. Nice job Joe !

Hi Greg,
I ran white, I gave plenty of point bys (driving on the bowl was boring!!) but I was cruising through the in field with no bumper to bumper traffic. Cars that were behind me in the going into the infield was well behind me when I got out. I was faster on the infield and couldn't careless for straights so I let everyone go by.
Greg, I saw you in the infield after the luch break.. you were flying. WW at the beginning was 1 or 2 behind you, next lap he was 4. WTH do you have done to your car??
I agree Joe ran a nice event and deserves a kudo for it.
Joe, thanks I had a lot of fun getting back to the groove after my extended leave from it. (I wasn't as rusty as I thought I might have been was a little ironic to see someone I used to beat in autocrossing in a more advanced group than I was...but guess that's what a 10 yr absence does )

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Club HPDE 160 drivers..

Quick Reply: Vette Club HPDE 160 drivers..