Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here I go again.......again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

I'll get the heads off after I get the car back together. I'm curious too, but I've got 2 other cars I need to get some work done on, and it will have to wait.

Engine is laying out in my front yard if anyone wants to pull the heads for me!

I had a local machine shop cut the motor mounts for me...much cheaper than running the VBP poly/aluminum units. Just for safety, I plan on richening this engine up a bit, and dialing back the timing, but it is all pretty much stock at this point.

I didn't elaborate my Atlanta story very well. When the trans locked in 3rd gear on the opening lap, I just kept trucking, running at redline for most of the track. Pegging redline for 40minutes isn't the best way to nurture an engine.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Well damn... redline for 40 min... nice
Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you have the steam lines in the rear open. Do not block them off like on the Z06. The back of the head will run hotter and cause all sorts of problems.

Randy
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jody, David..
I joined your club this weekend
National qualifying at Road Atlanta, second lap, first session, shifting form 4th to 5th on the back straight...car just died..no oil pressure. I broke the timing chain.
Car is at the engine builders now.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Damn all you jinxers...
Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer-38
Jody, David..
I joined your club this weekend
National qualifying at Road Atlanta, second lap, first session, shifting form 4th to 5th on the back straight...car just died..no oil pressure. I broke the timing chain.
Car is at the engine builders now.

I hate to hear that. Did it mess up anything else?

You could always use that other motor you have just lying around.

From what I saw over on the SCCA site, Chris and Phil were blistering the track.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Rollin Black
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Make sure you have the steam lines in the rear open. Do not block them off like on the Z06. The back of the head will run hotter and cause all sorts of problems.

Randy
Randy, this is great info! Do you suggest the LS1 type steam lines? Or does DRM have a fix for this?

Thanks, Perry
Old 06-07-2007, 04:40 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Either the LS1 pipes or if using a LS6 intake because those don't fit the only other option is some AN lines. -3 is more then big enough.

Randy
Old 06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Never heard of an issue w/ the Z06 coolant lines vs. the LS1 lines.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Rollin Black
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Either the LS1 pipes or if using a LS6 intake because those don't fit the only other option is some AN lines. -3 is more then big enough.

Randy
Using an LS7 intake so AN lines it is. Again, great info thanks! I always wondered about problems closing those two back ports off.

Sorry for the Hijack David

Thanks, Perry
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Never heard of an issue w/ the Z06 coolant lines vs. the LS1 lines.
Because nobody ever asked.

Randy
PS Sorry to Dave about the Hijack
Old 06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Randy, this is good to know, but I may be too far to do anything about it now. Is there something about the early LS1 heads that make the easy to damage, or are the later LS1/LS6's also having problems. I'm running a bone-stock LS1 with an LS6 intake, and don't really see cooling as an issue now that I have some gears to choose from and a good radiator.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

The pipes are the only real problem. Steam inside of a head is not a good idea. The reason for the steam port was to help remove the steam. Then came out the LS6 manifold, the 5 horsepower was great to sell cars and make dyno queens. There was no more room for the steam pipes under the intake. Next thing you know, hole 7 and 8 ring lands are breaking. It's not the only reason for the hole 7 and 8 but it sure isn't helping.

Yes the radiator is going to help the overall temps when it goes by the sensor. But the back of the head will run hotter. Think how hot a dry air locked bubble .150 inch away from that combustion camber.

Randy
PS Don't belive me, extend the sensor wires and run the sensor in the back of the passenger head. This is more the case at super high rpm when the water pump is doing what ever pumps at way too high of a rpm do. Cavitation I think would be the right word.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:52 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

In all of my high-HP cars, I never had a problem with this, but I will address it at some time.

How about pulling the intake and bleeding the close-offs at the back of the head. I always wondered how you were supposed to get the air back there, but like I said, I've never personally had a problem.

Live and learn.....
Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon

From what I saw over on the SCCA site, Chris and Phil were blistering the track.
That is for sure. Those two were flying.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

T Next thing you know, hole 7 and 8 ring lands are breaking. It's not the only reason for the hole 7 and 8 but it sure isn't helping.

Yes the radiator is going to help the overall temps when it goes by the sensor. But the back of the head will run hotter. Think how hot a dry air locked bubble .150 inch away from that combustion camber.

Randy
PS Don't belive me, extend the sensor wires and run the sensor in the back of the passenger head. This is more the case at super high rpm when the water pump is doing what ever pumps at way too high of a rpm do. Cavitation I think would be the right word.
Is that part of why the LS2 block was developed? better oiling and cooling of #s 7 & 8? besides the bigger cubies
Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

that's part of my concern...the ls2 and ls6 use the same head castings, and both seal the rear steam vent, so any cooling enhancements would only help the block, no the the heads (ie the combustion chamber). I think I'll likely pull my intake after I get everything together, and purge the seels. If I can find an easy way to rig up a crossover I will, but this hasn't been a problem for me before.

I do purge air bubbles by pressurizing the system until I get lots of clean water out of the overflow return, but that only purges the main lines...doesn't really help any air trapped at the back of the engine. However, if you don't do it, you'll overheat an enginer lickety-split.

Get notified of new replies

To Here I go again.......again!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
David, did you ever need to remove the heads? I'd be curious to see some pics with them off...

Thanks!
i have a set of heads ,,one broken one not....aren't they interchangeable,,just in case you only have one broken...LS-6.....
Johnny
Old 06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

mine are LS1 engines for now....but thanks.

yanked the heads off, and everything is mechanically intact (ie pisons, etc), While the gaskets are NOT dramatically torn, you can see where oil was bleeding in from th pushrod area, leaving 1-7 pistons very oily.

Number 8, which I figured was "broken", is just washed out with water, I assume. The piston looks steam cleaned, compared to the others. Again, no obvious gasket damage, but what can you do.

Anybody know the story about the gaskets mostly blocking the water passages? I'm not questioning the amount of water flow, but it seems like using the gasket to restrict water flow puts stress on the gasket itself.

I'm a parts assembler, not an engine/trans guy. In other words, give me a short block and I can put it all together......give me a trans, and I can put the car together. Nuances of gaskets, bearings etc are out of my knowledge bank.

Maybe Randy can chime in. Would be nice if we could get the Katech guys to visit the Road Racing section...but I think they're too busy selling $20,000 engines over in the C6Z06 section

Last edited by davidfarmer; 06-08-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Would be nice if we could get the Katech guys to visit the Road Racing section...but I think they're too busy selling $20,000 engines over in the C6Z06 section

Can you post up a pic? At first you said you can see it torn, then said no obvious damage... which is it?

If the psitons look steam cleaned then coolant was definately in there.

Quick Reply: Here I go again.......again!