Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadracing wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Roadracing wreck?

Anyone know or hear of ins companies paying a claim when someone crashed roadracing?

Haven't ate it yet, but hope to have my first chance at RA in october.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:03 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

In an actual Race? or DE ?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:29 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know 2 people who have totaled their vettes at DE events and they both were covered by their ins. companies. There have been previuos threads about more ins. companies excluding coverage for damage at DE events. You have to read your policy.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

You have to read your policy--every year. I thought about changing from my insurance company (which did pay an HPDE claim) to get a lower rate. But Allstate and Geico specifically exclude coverage on a race track (at least in my state, NJ).
Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You will probably find that many insurance companies will range from either not covering the car at all to fixing it as long as you can show the event was a true "school".

Some companies may fix the car then drop your coverage and some companies may drop your coverage if they so much as hear that you simply took your car onto property that is used specifically for a racing event.

It's a crapshoot is many cases so the best thing to do is to ask your agent for a clarification and go over your policy with him. Most companies add new restrictions or changes in "definitions" each year so read them all very carefully. My renewal policy came with a new set of definitions regarding anything that looks remotely l;ike a competitive events and now I'm SOL if something happens to my car.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Rogue Leader
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

I work for an insurance company and in the past companies did cover school and even race events specifically because there weren't any exclusions for it. They would also many times drop you afterwards. However these days all the major (and im sure most of the minor) insurance companies are issuing updates to their policys upon your renewal that excludes racing schools, driving schools, and basiclaly anything else you might want to do on a race track.

If you try and make a claim they will deny it and most likely drop you as well (as it is in violation of the terms of the policy). Like i said not all companies have done it yet, so it is wise to look at the most recent copy of your policy terms and conditions you can find.

My advice, do what you want with your car, but realize if you put it into a wall you are now $30k in the hole...
Old 08-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
...My advice, do what you want with your car, but realize if you put it into a wall you are now $30k in the hole...
My advice would be to read your policy. Mine states it won't cover my car for "racing" or something like that, don't remember the exact verbage. Anyway, I checked with my agent and it would be covered in a Driver Education event.

It seems that my insurance company would rather me get my need for speed in a controlled environment with a qualified instructor in the car and not on the street.

If your policy does not cover your car for a DE then fire them and find one that does.

Racing is a different story.

For DE's however, you shouldn't be penalized for being instructed to drive your high performance car in a controlled and legal event.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:56 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked with my agent, and State Farm covers DEs. There was even a State Farm guy (with the logo on his racecar!) out at one of the last DEs I went to. I'm sticking with these guys, as long as that policy holds.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by yakisoba
I...State Farm covers DEs.
One of the instructors for PCA/BMWCCA in St. Louis is a State Farm agent.

Get notified of new replies

To Roadracing wreck?

Quick Reply: Roadracing wreck?