Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on NASA HPDE+racing at same event?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Feedback on NASA HPDE+racing at same event?

I was looking at signing up to a NASA event at Summit. They don't have a schedule available. I have read here that NASA runs a well organized event, but also that they are very busy and that sometimes you don't get much track time, due to racing being on track at the same time as HPDE.

? Can anybody tell me the format, when they do the racing? This October event has HPDE 1-4, racing, and time trials, that's 6 groups if I am counting correctly.

The above just seems like a lot--how have you novices liked it? Do you get the same instructor each run or 4 different guys each day?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 01:02 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

You'll find lots of varying opinions on NASA events by looking through the NASA threads. I've had both good and bad days myself.

They are well organized. You have to be to run that many groups/day.

Problem is, no matter how organized you are if there is minmal down time scheduled and you have issues, someone WILL lose track time. Usually with 3-4 groups you really don't mind a short session, but with 7-8 you start to value what track time you can get.

You typically keep the same instructor.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Usually HPDE groups run only 15-20 minutes instead of 20-40min like some other groups. Expect many more red flags due to the racing nature, although you see your share of HPDE accidents as well these days.

I enjoy the dual format nature, as I enjoy racing and watching the other race groups. However, you certainly won't get as much track time as you would at a normal 3-4 group HPDE event.

Mid Atlanta and NASA-SE put on nice events, but you need to make sure your expectations are realistic.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as the schedule goes, each HPDE run groups are separated by a racing group. HPDE groups 1 and 2 have classroom sessions between their run groups for the first two sessions each day. Normally any delays caused by a particular group are charged against that group and not passed on to other groups. There are instances, however, when long delays may cause time to be taken from other groups but this is the exception, not the rule. I've been instructing with NASA Mid Atlantic for 4 years and for the most part HPDE students get their 3,
20-minute sessions each day. I started as a novice with NASA-MA and found their instruction, both classroom and on track, exceptional. Personnally, I find having the racers at the event makes for an exciting day! I instruct with other organizations as well and agree that some of them offer more track time, but I've also found that most students are ready to "call it a day" and the end of each NASA HPDE day! Try it...I think you'll like it!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Usually HPDE groups run only 15-20 minutes instead of 20-40min like some other groups. Expect many more red flags due to the racing nature, although you see your share of HPDE accidents as well these days.

I enjoy the dual format nature, as I enjoy racing and watching the other race groups. However, you certainly won't get as much track time as you would at a normal 3-4 group HPDE event.

Mid Atlanta and NASA-SE put on nice events, but you need to make sure your expectations are realistic.
For the price I would expect at least 3 20 minutes sessions per day. It sounds like you don't think they will do that much? I guess a normal DE day is more like 3 25min sessions; I've usually experienced 4 20 min sessions or 3 to 4 25 min sessions.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

You can't go wrong with the NASA HPDE 1-2 groups, the classroom is very professional and it's hard to beat the instruction per dollar that NASA gives you. Plus you get to learn in your own car at a track of your choosing unlike most dedicated driving schools. Your first couple of events you will be learning so much that if you miss 5 minutes of track time here or there you probably won't notice it much. But once you start doing more events where you can get 30+ minute sessions with various clubs you may stray from NASA, although the ladder system that NASA has in place is probably the easiest way to go from guy on the street to guy in a race car. I'm sure you will have a blast and you will definatly get your moneys worth!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I have done NASA events for several years now. I have also done events with other clubs and organization. You can and will lose track time at any event you do.
But after all is said and done I fine that NASA is the best fit for me. I can go from HPDE to W2W racing if I want to. You also can go to any NASA event across the nation. Plus I find that the people are great.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:31 AM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

What you will find, at least in NASA NE, that the NASA guys will sometimes use the HPDE sessions as their "test and tune," which becomes a little disconcerting.

Also, with a NASA/HPDE event you can forget about getting a garage in places like Pocono and Watkins Glen. With most non-NASA HPDEs, you can get one.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Diesel68
Instructor

For just having started with HPDE's, I like NASA's format. The cost is fine, and I feel like I am getting enough track time to satisfy my need for speed. I like the class room time to cover all the different elements to being on a track. My first event, we got up to 25 minutes of track time a session, and we had 4 sessions a day. Road Atlanta was reduced to 20 minutes but I think it was due to the number of participants. I have been able to get all the track time I was promised on the schedule.

You get the same instructor both days unless something comes up. It is funny though that my assigned instructor for the two events I have been to never showed up. The last one was supposed to be a Corvette driver too. They had to be replaced with Miata drivers. My Instructors didn't make me feel like my driving was going to kill them though, and were encouraging me to go even faster. Both great guys and I felt I learned a lot from them. I don't think you will regret it.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Andy ...
I've only done one HPDE weekend with NASA-MA ... haven't done more only because of schedule conflicts.
NASA HPDE's not for everyone ..., IMHO, NASA is a great organization for moving a person along toward TT or W2W in a structured, disciplined process.
Best classroom instruction I've had.
Instructor was Corvette guy - excellent ... I dropped a note to Chris Cobetto complimenting him ...and I rode with him on one of his session.
You get a NASA Passport --- your evaluation is documented ... and you evaluate the instructor.
Format is not your normal HPDE ... track stays "hot". Sessions were 3 25min per day IIRC ... more like 20 really ....
Paddock was FULL ... hard to find a place to pull in.
Price was correct for what i got.
And ... you can learn a lot from folks in the paddock and watching others on the course.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Andy ...
I've only done one HPDE weekend with NASA-MA ... haven't done more only because of schedule conflicts.
NASA HPDE's not for everyone ..., IMHO, NASA is a great organization for moving a person along toward TT or W2W in a structured, disciplined process.
Best classroom instruction I've had.
Denny,

What would you say about the event that was not for everyone--what wouldn't some like? The pace? 20 minute sessions too short?

For me the instruction is not a big deal, I need seat time to get comfortable with a course, I'd like to pick one or 2 course and stick with them so muscle memory kicks in.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:31 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing that it's pretty much the same everywhere. NASA charges
less and you get less track time, pretty much is same value for $, just
a few less bucks. Gp 1/2 at NASA gets more class than most since they
have more time between sessions with so much else going on. However,
the class is nothing compared to profesional school like Spring Mt. or
Russell Racing at Sears Point, a pale comparison IMO.

The shorter sessions is a good/bad news story. Fact is, stock cars have
only so many hard laps in the brakes and maybe even the engine due to
temps, some run out at 20 or 25 minutes, some longer. The guys that
have to have long sessions probably have modded cars that are set up
for heavy track use, again IMO. The only way to know for sure is to
either sign up and go or do what I did early on and go watch some, you
begin to get a feel for the differences in groups and what works for you.
Randy

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Denny,

What would you say about the event that was not for everyone--what wouldn't some like? The pace? 20 minute sessions too short?

For me the instruction is not a big deal, I need seat time to get comfortable with a course, I'd like to pick one or 2 course and stick with them so muscle memory kicks in.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I think NASA events are great. For DE guys they get to see a BIG event, 400 plus ppl, Races, TT and DEs. So much going on right after another. You have to keep yourself very organized, follow the schedule, listen to the PA and adapt as the times shift do to 'on track situations'. Kinda sounds like life doesn't it?

Some DEs are smaller, 150-200 ppl or even under 125 ppl. SO the paddock is not filled, lots of track time, more of a relaxed atmosphere more lets all be buddies.

Other events, are marque events, but we will let you in on a trial bases ( what they really mean is they need your money) then complain about Corvettes. What ever ......

Different formats of events for different ppl. And that is a GOOD THING.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:22 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Denny,
You can get a sense from the other posts, but a NASA weekend never stops ... always something going on, and not marque specific. Some like it, some don't. You won't know unless/until you try it.
Seat time is essentially solo.
You need instructors if you want to get signed off for solo ... NASA, SCCA, others ...
You can do 3-4 FATT days and probably get signed off for solo, and then become elegible for "Seat Time" days.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:01 AM
KBRVETTE93
Pro

Default Fun

The format is simple to follow. Regardless of the length of your early HPDE tack sessions (usually 20-25min.), it will be definitely enough for your first few times out (until you get your adrenaline production under control).

Prepare for the time of your life. You will love the way your vette handles!!

Have fun!!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:18 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
You can get a sense from the other posts, but a NASA weekend never stops ... always something going on, and not marque specific. Some like it, some don't. You won't know unless/until you try it.
Seat time is essentially solo.
You need instructors if you want to get signed off for solo ... NASA, SCCA, others ...
You can do 3-4 FATT days and probably get signed off for solo, and then become elegible for "Seat Time" days.
Ha, "Seat Time"--yeah I was using that term loosly. I just meant that more than 1 HPDE per year on the same track is what I'd like to achieve.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Do it! I think each NASA region is run a little differently. Hopefully your local region will be to your liking. Don't be put off by the schedule, I think everyone tries to stick to the schedule and make sure everyone is treated fairly. NASA (at least local to me) seems to cater to the novices a lot, they HAVE to in order to get more people into racing. That is they are trying to grow their own... But things do happen, some times they are handled well some times I guess not.

I really liked the class room and instructors, I did my first HPDE March last year. It was a little overwhelming, but not because of the other classes or racers, mostly because they really teach you to drive fast! For a complete novice like I was I think this approach is a LOT better for people like me than a few days at a $$$ school. The reason being I need a LOT of time to figure out what I'm doing and a year and a half latter I'm starting to figure something out LOL... Last year I don't think I would have been able to take full advantage of what a good school has to offer.

By the way, if you do it, maybe take a ride in your instructors car BEFORE your first session. It will help out a lot, you will have seen the track and seen how an experienced driver drives and how a car should react. ASK! a lot of instructors may forget, because there is sooo much stuff they need to tell you about!

Am I wrong, but doesn't NASA require a minimum of 4 20 min sessions a day for groups 1 and 2? For a Novice that is a pretty good amount.

Do it!

Get notified of new replies

To Feedback on NASA HPDE+racing at same event?

Quick Reply: Feedback on NASA HPDE+racing at same event?