Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another CF member cuts the umbilical cord!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another CF member cuts the umbilical cord!

Well after 22 track days at various events including the VIR event sponsored by the NCM I finally felt ready to run a full 35 minute session at Mosport with the AH off rather than in Comp Mode.

Results: Car felt much more solid with less fuss going hard through corners (on street tires I might add).

I don't regret waiting as long as I did, AH saved my butt during my very first event when I ran out of brakes going into a 90 degree corner (I was running OEM pads and simply had chewed right through them). There were also a few times (last year) when I knew I got out of shape and there's no doubt that AH reached out and firmly kept me between the white lines.

So knowing this I was a little gun shy in saying good-bye to my former guardian angel....but I could feel that even being smooth and in comp mode it was starting to balk at me through almost every turn, so I cut her loose!

I will let her back into my life while running in the wet and certainly on the street where I should never be pushing the car hard enough for it to be annoying under regular conditions and having it as a extra tool in my box can't be a bad thing. However in the dry I think we are done!

Thanks to all of those who have helped me to this point, mostly instructors and senior drivers who have taken me under their wings and given me many invaluable tips. Of course the only instructor that may see this post would be JaxVette (Jack M) who was my instructor at VIR and also helped me tremendously improve my skills and confidence, and a great guy to boot!

Looking forward to getting out to another NCM event at some point, VIR was certainly one of the highlights so far! Although Mosport is also a great track as well as Tremblant (my hometown track).

Too bad for me that there are not more Corvette events north of the 49th parallel, but I have been going out with the NER Porsche club and they are a great bunch of people to do an event with and they regularly come to Canada!

My next "gotta to do" track will be Watkins Glen....maybe I'll see a few of you guys there?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also "cut the cord", but not voluntarily. Last trip to Hallett I went in with my EBCM toast I had no choice. No AH, No TC, No ABS (I still like ABS ). I was very happy with my braking and control I had. After two days without "the cord" I'll not go back. To be honest, I rarely had the AH kick in this year. Could not say the same the previous two years.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me about 10 track days in the car before I ran without AH. I engage comp mode occasionally now when I have a passenger in the car.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
...To be honest, I rarely had the AH kick in this year. Could not say the same the previous two years.
Last year there were at least two times AH really kicked in hard.....this year it has been a more subtle intervention, mostly I think it just was stabbing the rear brakes in corners to keep the car straight without allowing any drift(ing).
Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

Get notified of new replies

To Another CF member cuts the umbilical cord!

Quick Reply: Another CF member cuts the umbilical cord!