Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boosted + Road Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:10 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
That one hit home.

Last fall at Spring Mountain a guy I knew with a 750 RWHP Forced induction went past me out of turn 7 like a lightening bolt and down the straight to #8.

Only problem was he couldnt turn. Looked like a mini Hiroshima.

He did run both days but was sucking coolant at the end as his heads were lifting off the block.
damn

We quickly find that newbies are in a love afair with HP and high speeds. Too bad they never have really experiences with either.

Most ppl chit in their undies the first time they drive 125 mph for more then a few seconds, and at 140-155 mph they are just that butt pucker factor would crush a 2" ball hitch.

Then slowing from those speeds. AND then taking a corner.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:34 AM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
damn

We quickly find that newbies are in a love afair with HP and high speeds. Too bad they never have really experiences with either.

Most ppl chit in their undies the first time they drive 125 mph for more then a few seconds, and at 140-155 mph they are just that butt pucker factor would crush a 2" ball hitch.

Then slowing from those speeds. AND then taking a corner.
Well, this ain't nothing but the truth. I have some experience at high speeds (125 doesn't really phase me anymore.) I also had 10-12 track days under my belt before I went to Grattan the first time.

I hit 140 on the front straight with more than 300' to the braking area. I just coasted the rest of the way. 140 with a big berm looming and a turn I wasn't 110% familiar with was plenty for me. I eventally upped my speed there, but a S/C would have been INSANE there.

I can't imagine the pucker facter of turn 5 at Road America with a S/C.

Last edited by SimonStern; 11-12-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also seen Stop Tech's c5 out there with a Maggie.

I never asked if they had issues, but I saw them run all weekend and my God did that screw drive SC sound awesome.

Best part was, I would down shift to second in the midst of a twistie, and that dude would just keep it in third and barrel out.

I think that is where a Maggiee forced induction would prolly be best for the track (sans heat soak) as it develops some major TQ down low.

I have considered a maggie for this purpose alone, pulling power in any gear.

Ahh what the hell. Fill the windshield wiper reservoir with alcohol and go racing.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Well, I'm going to find out.
I took the plunge last night and bought this puppy

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Hi guys. I have a vortech supercharger kit for sale that fits 92-96 vettes with the lt1 or lt4 engine. It is a bolt on kit and you are able to retain your ac and all of the accessories. It uses the S trim compressor which is CARB legal. Price is $2250 and has been dropped from $2600.

The kit is highly upgraded. If you’re serious about getting a kit that works out the gate, this is it. You will not have to worry about belt slip or bleeding off boost from leaky bypass valves with this kit. The upgrades are:

- vortech mini race bypass valve (approx $250)
- 7 rib upgrade from 6 ribs
- Bracket modified for dual idler pullies which give more belt wrap ($750)
- Brand new tensioners (cost $110 from ford)
- Larger diameter inlet tubing (4” compared to 3”)
- Homemade anit rotation valve(better directs the air flow to the compressor)
- Discharge tube is drilled for dual alcohol injection nozzles
- Huge k&n air filter

All of these things are things that you’d want to do if you want to get good power out of the vortech kit. The stock kit is prone to belt slip and the stock kit doesn’t allow easy belt changes. The stock kit requires about 3-4 hours to change the blower belt and with this kit, it can be done in 15 minutes. I was getting belt slip at 6 psi with the stock setup and the new setup included here allowed for 10 psi of boost reliably and without slip. I have the kit instructions and all the little bolts bagged up.

To complete the kit, you’ll need a 255lph in tank fuel pump ($75), spark plugs a heat range colder and gapped tighter, bigger fuel injectors, and a tune to handle the spark needs and fuel needs. If you need injectors, I can offer to sell the injectors on my car which are 38’s. I’m pulling them off to install 60’s.

If you’re looking for a night and day performance difference, then this is it. This kit will reliably work on pump gas with alcohol injection and make excellent power. Even on junky 91 octance California gas, I never had a problem with detonation.

With all this work done to the kit, you’re probably asking why I’m selling it. Well, I’m selling it because I just upgraded to a vortech ysi compressor with custom bracketry and discharge tubing. Let me know if you have any questions, technical or otherwise. I can be reached at russriggs@yahoo.com . The kit is in CA and if you're local, you're more then welcome to come by and check everything out. Here's some pics of everything:

everything installed:

the head unit

here's the bracket with dual idler pullies. the tensioner pictured has been replaced since this photo was taken

more parts of the kit

here's everything else. Not pictured is the polished discharge tube that connects the blower to the throttle body. Also not shown is the polished bypass valve.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:38 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Oh geez. Haha, thats something there.

Good luck with that set up and let me know how it goes.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
JSTAN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
I have considered a maggie for this purpose alone, pulling power in any gear.

Ahh what the hell. Fill the windshield wiper reservoir with alcohol and go racing.
Thats what I do....fill up with Meth before each run.

With a maggie, you can remain in 3rd or 4th gear...450+ rear wheel tq at 2500 rpm is very nice to have.

Quick Reply: Boosted + Road Racing?