Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putnam Park Track Day June 29th

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I-gotta-Novetta
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putnam Park Track Day June 29th

My good friends at Predator Motorsport (www.predatormotorsport.com) are hosting their annual track day at Putnam Park racetrack this year on Sunday June 29th. It always attracts a good-sized Corvette contingent, frequently headed by the Raft Racer, showing everyone the fast way around.

Putnam Park is about 50' southwest of Indy. It is about 2 miles around and has a nice combo of twisties and a decent sized straight (When I rode with Danny P a few years back he was topping out well over 140 mph at the end of the straight-that ride was the only time I ever got seasick in a car).

Cost is $275 and is a bargain given that there are only 2 run groups (fast/slow-newbie). So there is tons of track time. Typically it just becomes an open track by mid-afternoon as attrition takes its toll on drivers and cars.

See you at the track.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM
I-gotta-Novetta
Intermediate

Bump.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:24 PM
I-gotta-Novetta
Intermediate

Four weeks from tomorrow. So far, 18 drivers have signed up = TONS of track time. Great time to play with set up, driving technique, etc.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:09 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the Rules and Regulations? I never been to a track before. I want to go and be able to go WOT without worrying about getting pulled over. of course I would be in the beginners but do people pass alot. I don't want to make anyone wreck lol.I play alot of forza and I understand taking lines, braking before corners and accelerating out of corners. I just don't want to be getting into peoples ways. But other than virtual experiences I have no real life racing experience.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bgreen83
What are the Rules and Regulations? I never been to a track before. I want to go and be able to go WOT without worrying about getting pulled over. of course I would be in the beginners but do people pass alot. I don't want to make anyone wreck lol.I play alot of forza and I understand taking lines, braking before corners and accelerating out of corners. I just don't want to be getting into peoples ways. But other than virtual experiences I have no real life racing experience.
Putnam is a GREAT place to learn how to do HPDEs! I'll be there!

Safe with lots of runoff and little to nothing to run into.

Passing is generally allowed ONLY on the 4 straights with point by from the driver wanting you pass.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 AM
floor it
Racer

Originally Posted by I-gotta-Novetta
Four weeks from tomorrow. So far, 18 drivers have signed up = TONS of track time. Great time to play with set up, driving technique, etc.

Hope to be there.. have car issues if they get worked out.. will definately be there,,,
Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM
I-gotta-Novetta
Intermediate

The first "rule" is be safe, no passing without permission, no heroics or demonstrations of manhood.

The second is watch your mirrors. Just because you can pull away on the straight doesn't mean you are equally fast in the turns-if you check your rear view mirror and someone is on your bumper, pull over at the next designated passing zone, even if it's some guy in a clapped out 20 year old GTI-he's there because he's faster, at least in the curves.

Rule three, leave the ego at home, it is all really just for fun and its not unusual for a "slow" car with an experienced driver to be faster than a newbie in a 'Vette. Ride as a passenger with an experienced driver. One lap of that will teach you more than all the stuff you have learned to that point in life about driving fast on a race track.

Rule four:Baby-steps-take it easy and slowly learn the track , your skill level and your car.

Rule five: Have realistic expectations. Don't feel you HAVE to be fast to uphold the 'Vette's well deserved reputation for being a track monster. Other "Vette drivers will do that. My goal is always to learn something about my car, improve my driving skill a bit, have fun and be able to drive the car home unscratched. For what its worth, the guys who most often have "incidents" at track days are the experienced drivers-who are really pushing the envelop. Newbies who know their limits and don't overdo it generally go great.

Hope to see you there.

Mike (I will probably be driving my Caterham Super Seven if it doesn't break down by then-again!). If it does, I will be in my 4 cylinder Honda Accord automatic (wh/by the way, is a total blast at the track).
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 AM
floor it
Racer

Originally Posted by floor it
Hope to be there.. have car issues if they get worked out.. will definately be there,,,

Car will be on Dyno saturday... lets hope everyting goes well
Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I-gotta-Novetta
Intermediate

To respond to an e-mail: passenger ride-alongs are fine in either run group. The passenger must have an approved helmet and keep hands & arms in side the car.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I-gotta-Novetta
Intermediate

Just 13 days off and still lots of available slots.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
I-gotta-Novetta
Intermediate

Last call: 6 days. Weather is supposed to be great.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:22 AM
floor it
Racer

Default its ugly

Originally Posted by I-gotta-Novetta
Last call: 6 days. Weather is supposed to be great.
Kumar;;; hope to make it next time.. but for now not good..

Get notified of new replies

To Putnam Park Track Day June 29th

Quick Reply: Putnam Park Track Day June 29th