Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick top 3 tires from this list

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Of the tires listed the Yokohama Advan is the best by far for an all around tire. The best for road course dry would be the Falken 615 and BFG KD, since they are not available in your size the Yok's are the best. Also they are a pretty good rain tire.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 PM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

You're talking about this? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....(Y)&minLoad=LL
According to Tirerack they're not the stickiest tires... But I'd like to hear more about them. I know the a046's on the evo8 were very good, but that seems to be a completely different design and different compound with 160 treadwear.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 AM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

One more datapoint on the ps2. I saw someone mention this before on this board and it's very true... Jerking the wheel at highway speed with the runflats gives a very crisp response. I tried the same thing on the ps2's today, and they feel like complete **** in comparison. It feels like my suspention was swapped for a Buick Regal's overnight, there's so much sway. But only the tires changed. This makes me rethink getting these in a size or two wider, as that would just compound the problem with the soft sidewalls.

We'll see how this translates on the track and auto-x this weekend...
Old 06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry I didn't update on the track event earlier, I was busy and a little bummed out about my offtrack excursion (bumper and rad need to be replaced).

So impressions of the PS2s... In terms of overall grip they feel very similar to the SuperCars, not the amazing grip you're led to believe by the runflat haters (maybe most references are made to the standard F1's which are probably a step below the SCs). My best time of 1:32.4 was only 0.1s better than my previous best. I think that can be more attributed to experience than grip, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the tires cost me a bit. The ambient temperature was hotter too though. I pushed it a bit too hard at the end of the day to get a good time and that bit me... Pushing at the end of the day when you're already sloppy is not a good idea... Another word of advice: better err on the slow side when you're flying into the chicane at Streets

The tread is very deep, which is encouraging in terms of treadwear, but the tires seem to howl a lot more on the track than the SCs, and they sometimes squeek on the street too. The tall skinny tread blocks also tend to wear skewed on the track, more so than SCs. All that squirm can't be good for grip.

Transitional response is not nearly as good as the SCs. They roll over more than the SCs, but not alarmingly so.

In terms of feel at the limit and the way they slide they feel pretty good, I had quite a bit of fun with them. Maybe a slight bit more controllable than the SC's, or I'm learning.

I'm hoping they'll get grippier as they wear down, and most people say they do.

As it stands, I think I prefer the SCs, but they're way too expensive. The biggest reason I got the PS2s was the 500 dollar travel discount (which has yet to prove itself). In other words I wouldn't chuck good SCs in the trash just cause I heard some forum members trash talking. Enjoy them while they last, they're good as far as street tires go! No idea what I'm gonna get next time...
Old 06-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I have a little different perspective on the PS2's than most because of the limited amount of good performance street tires for a C3. Even though I am only running 235/50/17's on a 3400lb car, I'm still able to obtain 1.1 G's (according to Traqmate). I'm not running the stiffest springs in the world, and the car does take a while transitioning into the turns. This could be either the suspension or the tires .... don't really know.

In all, I am VERY happy with these tires and will stick with them until I move up to R compound tires.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ccj

A set of Nitto R2's or NT-01, Toyo RA1 or R888 would net you plenty of track time + the drive time to and from the track.
I don't know abut sizing but RA1s are a good tire that you can drive to the track and perform like a slick, not quite as fast as a Hoosier, but it feels like that and beats the heck out of a street tire, keep them on a seperate set of rims and switch out the night before your event. They also last MUCH Much longer then a true slick, and they are DOT legal for the street.

If I was buying a street tire to do some events on it would be the Kumho MX

Quick Reply: Pick top 3 tires from this list