Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT such a great day at the racetrack...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NOT such a great day at the racetrack...

Well, yesterday I was all excited about the new experience of doing Time Trials w/ NASA at Barber this weekend, but it was short lived. During the first session-- only 3 or 4 laps into the weekend-- coming out of Turn 15 onto the front straight, I gradually rolled into the gas and unwound the wheel as always, but the result was fairly, uh, atypical.

I'm usually not very aggressive during the first session of the day, and yesterday was no different, but for whatever reason, the back end came around, and I slid toward the pit retaining wall. The car looped around, hitting the right front at about a 40-45 degree trajectory. It was a pretty hard lick. I don't ever look at the speedo coming out of that corner, but I'd guess my speed when I started spinning was around 90mph.

Good news is, I walked away and only have some soreness in my left wrist, some airbag propellant irritation on my left forearm, and the left side of my neck and left trap are stiffening up a bit. I did not have a HANS on to support my head and neck (that'll be #1 on the list whenever I make it back out to the track), but my Kirkey seat, Hardbar seat rails, R-D Racing harness bar, and 5-point G-Force harnesses did their job well. The airbags deployed, but I do not believe that I got into them at all...

I'm fortunate to have only come away w/ a damaged car. I'm also lucky to have a great group of friends at the track and even on the other side of the country offering support. Thanks to everyone who helped me gather my wits, comforted me, and offered assistance. It means more than I can express.

Fredo

P.S. The rollback driver, Ronnie, was a magician and neatly deposited my wounded Beast directly into my garage...amazing!

Last edited by fhturner; 05-07-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Glad to hear that you're OK. That's the most important thing
Old 06-08-2008, 12:54 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Hate to see anyone go through that.
Glad you are OK and good luck with getting things back together.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:56 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow sorry to see your car totalled like that, but at least you are OK. I guess I should get a hans also and some tow hooks just in case. Good luck with your new car .
Old 06-08-2008, 01:04 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sorry to hear of this, that sucks. On the other hand, race cars can be replaced, lives cannot, and I am glad our products worked for you. I had a person ask me why we make our seat rails "so overkill" and I guess you know answer to that question now. Again, sorry for the misfortune, but I am happy you are healthy, that is the important thing. If I may of assistance, let me know. I want those rails back for inspection before you put them back in, OK?
Best Regards,
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
Old 06-08-2008, 01:14 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Man, I hate to see red cars smashed up. But what "Mr. U of M Graduate" (aka Mr. Hardbar) said is vert true: cars can be replaced. Not so easy for people.

Fix the car and get behind the wheel at the track as soon as possible. It's like getting thrown from a horse...
Old 06-08-2008, 01:18 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yea Dave, you had some "red car issues" recently as well if my old brain remembers correctly. I think I made your Viper seat rails too?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the support, guys. Means a lot!

Originally Posted by redtopz
Wow sorry to see your car totalled like that, but at least you are OK. I guess I should get a hans also and some tow hooks just in case. Good luck with your new car .
I would definitely agree on the HANS. I already had it in mind to get one as I transitioned this car from salvaged street car to track day car to racecar. But I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I actually wrote the above description in email to several people last night, and I can tell you today-- the next day after-- that i am pretty well sore/stiff as hell everywhere above my collar bones. I can definitely see by extension how Earnhardt, Sr. met his demise. Next time I head out on track, I'll be "HANS'ed". I strongly urge you to do the same. Lot of coin, but maybe you sit out a couple of events and save the money from brakes/tires/gas/entry fee/etc and get yourself one.

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I had a person ask me why we make our seat rails "so overkill" and I guess you know answer to that question now. Again, sorry for the misfortune, but I am happy you are healthy, that is the important thing. If I may of assistance, let me know. I want those rails back for inspection before you put them back in, OK?
Thanks, Gary, I'll do that. I must say that had figured probably something in all of those components would have "given" a little bit. So, when I thought of that afterward, I reached in and pulled on the seat back to see if it moved the seat itself or the rails...nope. Also pulled on the R-D bar...solid as a rock as well. So, out of all those 4 items I mentioned above, each one did what it was hoped it would. Nice when it works out that way and keeps one of my friends from having to post what happened to me.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 PM
pieces_r6
Advanced

Fred I feel you pain but as everyone mentionned, you're ok. It appears from the pictures that you hit the wall pretty hard!

I believe too that nowdays, a hans is a mandatory equipment for anyone doing some road race. It is on my shopping list too!

Good luck for the rebuilt!

David

Last edited by pieces_r6; 06-09-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Fix the car and get behind the wheel at the track as soon as possible. It's like getting thrown from a horse...
Your timing is funny...had a friend who works for Zoom/Barber tell me the same thing in an email just now. I'm in no hurry, but I guess I'll try to keep it from being too long, given that point of view... Thanks for that.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:38 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by pieces_r6
Fredo I feel you pain but as everyone mentionned, you're ok. It appears from the pictures that you hit the wall pretty hard!

I believe too that nowdays, a hans is a mandatory equipment for anyone doing some road race. It is on my shopping list too!

Good luck for the rebuilt!

David
My Wife bought me a HANS pro-series for my birthday in March.
Very confortable and I will not go out without it.

I may upgrade to the sliding tethers though as the standard straps do limit my range of sideways motion to a point that makes it difficult to see my right mirror.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:58 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see you're ok and at least this was a car that already had accident history not a low miles pampered example. Hope you get it fixed.

From the pics I'm not seeing how accelerating out of the corner and tracking out as usual caught you--maybe there was antifreeze down in a spot you didn't see.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:53 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Yea Dave, you had some "red car issues" recently as well if my old brain remembers correctly. I think I made your Viper seat rails too?
Yes you did, my friend, yes you did. Am I am still here in part because of those rails. We keep "representing" The Big Ten pretty well, don't we?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:04 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Well, we are still alive and reasonably productive! Hey Dave, how about you paint your next car Maize and Blue?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm glad you walked away relatively unscathed....sorry about the damage to your car. No one likes to see their car busted-up but be proud of yourself for taking the precautions you did. It looks like you've got some work to do. I hope you're feeling well and get back on the track soon.

(BTW...I'm originally from Michigan...GO BLUE!)
Old 06-08-2008, 09:26 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to see this, glad your ok though!
Old 06-08-2008, 09:51 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Damn Fred, I hate to see that. I met you a few weeks ago at Barber and know you and your group are all very experienced drivers and know the track very well.

I can't imagine what went wrong in that turn. It is like there must have been something on the track, and I'm sure you know way more than me.

Anyway the best news is you are OK, and will drive again. The drivers in your group are some of the nicest people I've met at the track, and some very good drivers.

Hell, they even feed the corner workers

Fed me as well

Once again GLAD you are OK..See you at Barber next event, Larry.

Get notified of new replies

To NOT such a great day at the racetrack...

Old 06-08-2008, 09:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glad your OK
Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Hey Dave, how about you paint your next car Maize and Blue?
Ahhhhh....No.

It just would not look right. Plus I would have to get rid of too much, like my Jim Tressel bobblehead doll, my Brutus lava lamp and my scarlet sweater-vest...
Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Glad your ok!

Quick Reply: NOT such a great day at the racetrack...