Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slicks or Not?? Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slicks or Not?? Opinions Please

Took my C6Z to Barber this past weekend for my first HPDE. In preparation, and at the recommendation of my local race shop, I had put a set of Hoosiers on the car. After my first session, my instructor said that I should think about taking the slicks off and putting street/track tires on the car for my next few events. His reasoning is that the Hoosiers are so sticky that they may cover mistakes I may be making as a beginning track driver. He said a "lesser" tire will show flaws in technique before I get myself in real trouble with the slicks.

Makes sense, but I'd like to hear some opinions from you guys with some experience. If I need to take the slicks off for a while, what tire (18 and 19 stock sizes) should I run? I'm running PS2s on the street but still have my runflats with less that 5k on them. Should I run them? Thanks for your help.

BTW, glad I found you guys on this forum ... a bit friendlier and levelheaded than C6Z06.

Bob
Old 06-10-2008, 10:27 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

absolutely agree. run 5-7 events on street tires before worrying about r-compound tires. You'll learn more and it will be safer initially. R-compound tires will grip more allowing you to go faster potentially before you're really ready for it. They also let go more quickly with less warning than street tires. Combine that with the higher speeds and you should stick with street tires a while.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Your local shop gave you horrible advice. Not only are sticky tires bad advice, you really should consider a slower car for learning. I mean no offense to you or your car, but the Z06 is so fast that many many students end up reaching speeds way beyond what they are ready to handle when things go wrong (and they DO go wrong).

I'd opt for the OEM runflats. You'll still be one of the fastest cars at the track, they'll last quite a while, and you'll find the limit much more progressively.

If you just want to be the fastest guy at the track, stick with the Hoosiers. If you want to get better and really learn to handle the car, run the street tires, take advantage of any wet sessions, then put the slicks back on.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flycastinguy
Took my C6Z to Barber this past weekend for my first HPDE. In preparation, and at the recommendation of my local race shop, I had put a set of Hoosiers on the car. After my first session, my instructor said that I should think about taking the slicks off and putting street/track tires on the car for my next few events. His reasoning is that the Hoosiers are so sticky that they may cover mistakes I may be making as a beginning track driver. He said a "lesser" tire will show flaws in technique before I get myself in real trouble with the slicks.

Makes sense, but I'd like to hear some opinions from you guys with some experience. If I need to take the slicks off for a while, what tire (18 and 19 stock sizes) should I run? I'm running PS2s on the street but still have my runflats with less that 5k on them. Should I run them? Thanks for your help.

BTW, glad I found you guys on this forum ... a bit friendlier and levelheaded than C6Z06.

Bob

David nailed it - which one were you there? We were driving the white FRC....
Old 06-10-2008, 10:58 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

[QUOTE=davidfarmer;1565846012]Your local shop gave you horrible advice. Not only are sticky tires bad advice, you really should consider a slower car for learning.

Thanks David. I already own the Z, so I guess I'll stick with her. I've approached learning to drive the car with a level head. Attended the 3-day course at Spring Mountain in March. In fact, I waited over a year to do a HPDE until I could go to Spring Mountain. I went to Barber with the intention of learning, not to prove my machismo to myself or anyone else. I'll put the run flats back on and keep gettin' my feet wet a little at a time with great respect for what the car is capable of. Take care.

Bob
Old 06-10-2008, 11:05 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

Originally Posted by varkwso
David nailed it - which one were you there? We were driving the white FRC....
Yellow C6Z with black stock wheels (and Hoosiers, of course!!) Was assigned the number "1" by NASA!!! That was a helluva number to have at my first event! I was on the 2nd paddock level next to the yellow Panoz. Had a terrific time. Hope to see you soon.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:24 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got through your first HPDE in a C6Z on Hoosiers without balling it up you had a good instructor and demonstrated a lot of self control.

It's good advice to stick to the street tires until you find the limits of the the car on them. Then start all over with Rs. Advice I'm trying very... hard... to take... myself...

My only complaint about the GYs on the track is that they really don't talk to me(squeal) the way I expect them to. It's more of a scraping sound. I hear the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position RFTs are more talkative.

Like any street tire the GYs get greasy when really hot; like with 100+ track temps and 10+ hot laps. Although I hear they are much better in that respect than the PS2's. And the GYs recover quickly with a cool off lap.

Does anyone have any recommendations on transitional tires like the Nitto NT or PS Cups?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I read the headline and was ready to dive in with the for slicks, but I have to agree...they're not for someone just starting out.

You are better off on your street tires in the rain than on slicks if your just starting out...when you get the experience, you will appreciate and love the slicks.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with the above posters --- Run the stock run flats for a couple of years and learn YOUR and the cars capabilities before making any mods. The Z in stock form is crazy fast for a street car and will run circles around 85% of what's out there already !!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I did my first 10 DEs on street tires.

Many clubs do not allow student to run SLicks untill they have 10-12 or even 15 DEs under their butts.

As David mention above one needs to learn the car and how to drive before moving to slicks. Street tires are best for that
Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I did my first 10 DEs on street tires.

Many clubs do not allow student to run SLicks untill they have 10-12 or even 15 DEs under their butts.

As David mention above one needs to learn the car and how to drive before moving to slicks. Street tires are best for that

You'll learn so much more about car control and how to listen to your tires (yes, they will speak to you) on street tires for the 1st year. I used the BF Goodrich g-Force KD tires instead of OEM run flats, but you're good to go either way - wait till you get through HPDE 1 and 2 before moving to slicks. Mike
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by linutux
It's good advice to stick to the street tires until you find the limits of the the car on them. Then start all over with Rs. Advice I'm trying very... hard... to take... myself...

Does anyone have any recommendations on transitional tires like the Nitto NT or PS Cups?
I would suggest MPSCs before Hoosiers. The MPSCs still 'talk' pretty well before they let go and they last a long time. Patience is required for them to warm up however.

Mike
Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Your local shop gave you horrible advice. Not only are sticky tires bad advice, you really should consider a slower car for learning. I mean no offense to you or your car, but the Z06 is so fast that many many students end up reaching speeds way beyond what they are ready to handle when things go wrong (and they DO go wrong).

I'd opt for the OEM runflats. You'll still be one of the fastest cars at the track, they'll last quite a while, and you'll find the limit much more progressively.

If you just want to be the fastest guy at the track, stick with the Hoosiers. If you want to get better and really learn to handle the car, run the street tires, take advantage of any wet sessions, then put the slicks back on.
David is right, I would also add that I would not go back to hoosiers until a) you have progressed into a more advanced group and b) are maxing out those all seasons.

For HPDE's i think driving on street tires is actually more fun!! I mean its not racing, and you can really slide around a LOT on street tires and still be safe (disclaimer: I dont not CONDONE this behavior, but it is fun). You can also go out in the rain, and the cold and ANY weather and have a good time. That and when you pass some car on hoosiers and you are on street tires, you grin that much more
Old 06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which local race shop advised Hoosiers?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:13 AM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

agreee with David also.

I have been doing HPDE's for 4 yrs and am STILL on street tires

They chatter a lot, I just listen and I know where I am at
Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

1st full year I was on street tires.

2nd year I moved to r-compound tire

3rd year I moved to full slicks.

I do 15 - 20 track days per year.

I know there are some mistakes that the slicks cover up for me and believe me I am happy about that, but the BIG mistakes I made with street tires would have been disaster if I had slicks...

On another note I am going to bondurant some time this year and I cant wait to be back on street tires and see if I am actually driving better or if the slicks are making up the difference.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Your local shop gave you horrible advice.

Ditto, times 10.

The slicks may not give you much warning when they are about to let go, and the amount of grip they have will vary depending on the temperature and the # of heat cycles. As you gain experience, you will be able to deal with these variables, but it raises your level of risk for now. Many a novice driver has wadded up their car due to cold slicks/cold track/high expectation of grip. The slicks will also mask driver mistakes in other areas, slowing the learning process.

Learn to drive it on street tires, and you will know when you are ready for slicks.

Get notified of new replies

To Slicks or Not?? Opinions Please

Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 AM
ctk30
Pro

How about on a C3

I only own slicks

It's very hard to find performance tires for 15" wheels also

They are bias and it seems pretty easy to tell when there going to break loose from doing auto-x.

Edit: I may have found some tires on tirerack. cheaper than a new set of slicks too lol

Last edited by ctk30; 06-11-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Thanks for ALL the replies, guys. The verdict seems to be unanimous. I'll go back to the street tires for a while. BTW, I spoke with my shop this morning and they agree with everyone's thinking. Some of you have wanted to know who made the recommendation to go with slicks. I won't name them because they're a good and reputable shop. But I will consider where I am in the learning process a little more carefully before making any more purchase decisions.

Thanks again!

Bob
Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by flycastinguy
Thanks for ALL the replies, guys. The verdict seems to be unanimous. I'll go back to the street tires for a while. BTW, I spoke with my shop this morning and they agree with everyone's thinking. Some of you have wanted to know who made the recommendation to go with slicks. I won't name them because they're a good and reputable shop. But I will consider where I am in the learning process a little more carefully before making any more purchase decisions.

Thanks again!

Bob

Bob

That is what we are here for. Ask lots of questions and get good answeres.

Besides we like to HOOK more ppl to the addiction

Quick Reply: Slicks or Not?? Opinions Please