Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Fire Suppression Systems for Race Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Automatic Fire Suppression Systems for Race Cars

I am planning on getting a new fire suspression system for my car.

Here is the one I am thinking of getting.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecId=5024

It can be activated manually or automatically when the temperature exceeds 155 degrees. I figure I will spend a few extra bucks for one that can still activate in case I am unable to do so in the event of a bad accident.

Do any of you have experience with these systems?

Do you have any knowledge or feedback?

What do you recommend?

Safest regards,

Oli

Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oli,

I have that same system in my track car without the 155 deg. auto switch.

Can I assume that many/most T-1 racers have an on-board system ???

Not sure how many are using the auto switch these days but every car we've raced over the years from vintage V-8 prod cars to newer GT-1 cars have all had 10lb + on-board extinguishers.

Have seen some SCCA cars with two systems, but didn't notice if the activation was automatic or a manual pull/push cable.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Thanks MW.

I have a 10lb manual system in the car now, but I thought it would be good to have both an automatic and redundant system. Should one of them not work or if I am disabled or distracted by the process of getting out of the car I am provided extra protection.

Also, if one should discharge by accident or intentionally, I still have one intact to keep me legal for the race.

Oli

PS. I just got a response this morning from another local racer in SCCA. He says he uses the same system as you. So it seems like a lot of folks have arrived at the same conclusion that this is perhaps one of the better systems.

Last edited by Olitho; 06-15-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

IIRC t1 cars only required have a hand held fire extinguishers

But a full system with two manual pull cords. dont use an electric switch. seen fire damage cut out the electrical very quickly and consume the car as the driver could not hit the fire switch.

A manual pull would or may have prevented total losss
Old 06-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
IIRC t1 cars only required have a hand held fire extinguishers

But a full system with two manual pull cords. dont use an electric switch. seen fire damage cut out the electrical very quickly and consume the car as the driver could not hit the fire switch.

A manual pull would or may have prevented total losss
Yes, I agree. T1 only requires a handheld, so I am way beyond spec if I put in a second 10lb system.

My current system is a manual pull.

Oli
Old 06-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Oli, here's another option: Safecraft

I know the Safecraft systems are used by a lot of the big professional teams, and it's about the same price.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:10 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

on my safecraft the pressure guage broke and stuck in the green zone. It could fool you if there was no pressure in there. Also, on my safecraft the tackweld of the feet broke off the tank just with age. This is not good in a crash because your tank can now be a 15lb projectile. So safecraft QC is suspect in my opinion. I do like the firecharger/EES concept because you can self recharge which is great trackside if someone accidentally sets your system off. Our cars are open while on track so I like AFFF foam because it does not dissapate in a wind like halon therefore there is less reignition. Also, if you ever set off the halon or it needs the age recert just wait until you get the bill for that if you can find someone to do it. It is a real pain getting a recharge.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:00 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
.... Also, if you ever set off the halon or it needs the age recert just wait until you get the bill for that if you can find someone to do it. It is a real pain getting a recharge.
I used a halon extinguisher to put out my van on a return trip from the drag strip with my bike in the back. I was shocked to find out the refill cost about $150. After a moment of reflection I was glad to pay it. If I wouldn't have had that extinguisher and it wouldn't have worked so well I would have lost my van, my bike, my tools, gear, etc. I love halon, even if it is expensive.

Dog
Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a fun surprise when I lit off my ESS system while removing it to do some cage work

I must of caught the pin on my pants leg or something, while disconnecting the cable I ended up with nice fountain hitting my shop ceiling. It was easy to clean up, easy to recharge it, etc

---------------

I bought a Amerex Halotron hand held for my temp track car since this is a streetable car for my kids to autocross and track in as well, much easier to clean up with nearly a full interior.

Rick
Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I had an older Halon bottle go off spontaniously during a race at Rd America one year, appearantly an issue with certain Holon mixtures.

I've used a Firecharger system, which in theory I like. Handy to be able to recharge yourself, even trackside. It is a bit cumbersome initially installing, but I've always dreaded sending Halon off for a recharge if used.

I personally don't like the idea of self-discharging units.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:52 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho

I am planning on getting a new fire suspression system for my car.

Here is the one I am thinking of getting.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecId=5024 :
I've run the FireCharger and have for three years. I dislike the automatic discharge concept and was never very comfortable with the inhalation of halon. The fire (flashback) supression aspect of its' wet foam is appealing to me. Finally, I like being able to recharge the system at the track (for $50) if it's necessary.
Cire

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Fire Suppression Systems for Race Cars

Quick Reply: Automatic Fire Suppression Systems for Race Cars