Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't See The TTP Black RX-7 Anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:44 PM
TTPMatt
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't See The TTP Black RX-7 Anymore...

Kyle got rattle can happy over the weekend. Car looks pretty badass in person, verrry different!

We're performing some changes before the EMRA NJMSP & PDA G.S. Event with this beast.

- Matt
Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think that army cammo is going to stop me from still pulling some spark plugs!!!

Seriously can't wait to see it at NJMP!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What times has it been knocking down at tracks? Any on Pocono?
Old 06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
kingkyle
Advanced

Hey Guys... hope you like the new paint job.

95jersey: Your car looked to be really hooked up on the double infield. I think i saw you had LG coilovers? You really drive that car well. You and ray had the two quickest vettes I've come across in the infield. What kind of power do you put down?

I ran a 56.3 @ the north course with PDA/NASA the 2nd time I ever had the car at the track since we built it. I was on hoosier r6's then and I'm graduating to Michelin slicks hopefully by NJMP. If I went back to Pocono North with slicks I would be deep in the 54's. The car is a good bit faster than my last race car "Mitsubishi Evolution" that ran a 57.3 at Lime rock and 2:02 at Watkins glen. I see alot of potential in this car and hope to do well @ Nasa nationals.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Nice times new Hoosiers and I'd be 56's North Pocono never will see 54's without more HP even then 2 seconds is huge and the lower you go the harder it is to shed time. Hope you run the long course you should easily be in the 1:2x's What does it weigh?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:43 PM
kingkyle
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Nice times new Hoosiers and I'd be 56's North Pocono never will see 54's without more HP even then 2 seconds is huge and the lower you go the harder it is to shed time. Hope you run the long course you should easily be in the 1:2x's What does it weigh?
Thanks John,

She weighs in the 2,4xx's right now. She will be in the 2,200's after the Jerico 4 speed replaces the T-56 and once I do the fiberglass doors, hood, hatch and lexan. We have about 500whp and the car is back at TTP going for a more aggressive cam. We think we can get another 20-30whp just with the cam swap + tune. Other than that its a stock LS3 with the latest gen L92 heads that are not for sale yet.

The car will go faster with more seat time. I've only driven the car 2.5 track days total.

Kyle
Old 06-30-2008, 05:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Other than that
being a over powered fly weight Sounds great and even better at 2200 Should pull some real high speeds on the Pocono Long Course counterclockwise. I shutter to think what it it pull or corner the banking at.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:35 PM
kingkyle
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Shiels
being a over powered fly weight Sounds great and even better at 2200 Should pull some real high speeds on the Pocono Long Course counterclockwise. I shutter to think what it it pull or corner the banking at.
hah... only one problem with the long course. Gearing.... I have the stock mazda rear end still in the car. This rear gear is a 4.11. So the t-56 only lets me get up to 170 @ 7,000rpm's. I get there real quick. I did the double infield with hooked on driving and on the back straight I was limited with gearing. Once I get the Jerico dog box i'll also have a ford 8.8 cobra IRS diff with a gold trac LDS and a 2.73 rear gear. This gear with the Jerico 1:1 4th gear will allow me to hit 185+.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good, how much extra weight did that paint add

I'll see you on the 20th @ pocono.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kingkyle
hah... only one problem with the long course. Gearing.... I have the stock mazda rear end still in the car. This rear gear is a 4.11. So the t-56 only lets me get up to 170 @ 7,000rpm's. I get there real quick. I did the double infield with hooked on driving and on the back straight I was limited with gearing. Once I get the Jerico dog box i'll also have a ford 8.8 cobra IRS diff with a gold trac LDS and a 2.73 rear gear. This gear with the Jerico 1:1 4th gear will allow me to hit 185+.
Hurry and get it Hope to be there on the Sun for the GS even if just to watch.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:59 AM
TTPMatt
Supporting Vendor

This car is a beast.. When we dyno'd earlier in the year (Better weather) it was 492rwhp UNC - 458rwhp SAE... We're looking to put that number up this week with our new series of TTP Road Race grind camshafts. I'd like to see 485+ SAE and we'll be happy for a few weeks

We'll be out at the NJMP event with EMRA. Following weekend we'll be at the Grand Slam.

Oh in another news, Ray's Silver C6 is getting lots of TTP love, so look for our new combination out by the Grand Slam...

So much for sleeping the next few weeks, it's overrated anyways!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When are you guys heading out to NJMP
Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=kingkyle;1566115821]
95jersey: Your car looked to be really hooked up on the double infield. I think i saw you had LG coilovers? You really drive that car well. You and ray had the two quickest vettes I've come across in the infield. What kind of power do you put down?[QUOTE]

The power is somewhere just under 500rw. The motor is stock except for K&N Intake and no cats, but stock cat-back exhaust and manifold. Doug at ECS really worked his magic and pulled some good numbers, but I was lucky with an extremely strong LS7 (lots of torque). The weight is stock, full interior, AC and stock seats (3343lbs with driver). I do have LG coil over's and T1 sways. Thanks for the kudo's! The car is very fast, and handles very well given it's weight, but I have also done Pocono easily over 60x in 8+ years, so I know every single inch of the course which helps.

Besides that I also have to give kudo's to Phoenix who set up the car, balanced, alligned and cornerweighted everything. This is the second car they have set up for me and they really know how to prepare Corvette's. The LG coil overs are really nothing short of insane...almost violent (in a good way). What is amazing is that even though the spring rates and the additonal pre-load I have set up are much stiffer than the stock suspension, the car actually handles the bumps better than with the leafs. We actually set up the car a little higher than most coil-over cars would sit. With the leafs, the car would skip accross the bumps even though the spring rates were pretty soft. I am marveled at how well LG's shocks provide instant rebound compared to the stock set up. The stock set up seems slow and delayed compared to the LG's. I find I am able to squeeze the throttle much sooner and deeper than with the leafs

So not to sound like I am plugging LG and Phoenix, but now that I have a few events with the new set up, it has exceeded my expecations on the track.

Look forward to NJMP!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
kingkyle
Advanced

[QUOTE=95jersey;1566126599][QUOTE=kingkyle;1566115821]
95jersey: Your car looked to be really hooked up on the double infield. I think i saw you had LG coilovers? You really drive that car well. You and ray had the two quickest vettes I've come across in the infield. What kind of power do you put down?

The power is somewhere just under 500rw. The motor is stock except for K&N Intake and no cats, but stock cat-back exhaust and manifold. Doug at ECS really worked his magic and pulled some good numbers, but I was lucky with an extremely strong LS7 (lots of torque). The weight is stock, full interior, AC and stock seats (3343lbs with driver). I do have LG coil over's and T1 sways. Thanks for the kudo's! The car is very fast, and handles very well given it's weight, but I have also done Pocono easily over 60x in 8+ years, so I know every single inch of the course which helps.

Besides that I also have to give kudo's to Phoenix who set up the car, balanced, alligned and cornerweighted everything. This is the second car they have set up for me and they really know how to prepare Corvette's. The LG coil overs are really nothing short of insane...almost violent (in a good way). What is amazing is that even though the spring rates and the additonal pre-load I have set up are much stiffer than the stock suspension, the car actually handles the bumps better than with the leafs. We actually set up the car a little higher than most coil-over cars would sit. With the leafs, the car would skip accross the bumps even though the spring rates were pretty soft. I am marveled at how well LG's shocks provide instant rebound compared to the stock set up. The stock set up seems slow and delayed compared to the LG's. I find I am able to squeeze the throttle much sooner and deeper than with the leafs

So not to sound like I am plugging LG and Phoenix, but now that I have a few events with the new set up, it has exceeded my expecations on the track.

Look forward to NJMP!

Very cool.... If I had to pick a street/track car it would be setup like yours. Either the Hardbar/Penske's or the LG customs. What brakes do you have? Why no cam upgrade?

I'm psyched for NJMP, I'm crossing my fingers that they finish the track. If they cancel the event that would be a bummer.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=kingkyle;1566127797][QUOTE=95jersey;1566126599]
Originally Posted by kingkyle

Very cool.... If I had to pick a street/track car it would be setup like yours. Either the Hardbar/Penske's or the LG customs. What brakes do you have? Why no cam upgrade?

I'm psyched for NJMP, I'm crossing my fingers that they finish the track. If they cancel the event that would be a bummer.
I want to leave the motor stock for warranty/durability purposes. I personally find 500whp to be more than enough for track days and what I want from the car. I run the stock calipers with XP12 pads. I honestly think the last thing a C6Z needs is power. With this car, the money is better spent on the suspension and brakes. If I were going to keep the car, I would do the brakes, but this will most likely be my last season with the car.

This was posted on the NJMP website.

On Saturday, New Jersey Motorsports Park will open its gate to members and offer a sneak peak of the facility and the chance to drive on the racing world's newest road course.

But the work has just begun.

Late Sunday afternoon, Ken Grammer, NJMP's managing director, was riding around the facility supervising some of the final details. Work at a raceway is never complete, he said, as it's an ever-changing business that requires constant attention, but as far as preparedness goes, they're almost there.

"Right now, we're just fine-tuning some of the landscaping," Grammer said. "Quite honestly, most everything is ready to go. Everything is on schedule for the Lightning Course. We're basically ready to open now."

"The Lightning track is one of two courses, along with the Thunderbolt Raceway, that will comprise the raceways at the 700-acre, $150 million park. All of the guardrails and safety precautions are in place on the track, he said, and on Saturday the park's members will be the first to race on it."
Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
TTPMatt
Supporting Vendor

want to leave the motor stock for warranty/durability purposes. I personally find 500whp to be more than enough for track days and what I want from the car.
LOL. I'm sure Kyle will have something to say on that one

We're prepping all of our R/R cars for this event.

Kyle's rx-7 is getting a TTP Stage 5RR Cam, rebalance and realign. Of course keeping the SD tuning.

The blue c5z is waiting the new corbeau's this week and it's ready.

The silver c6 is getting some TTP motor loving... This is a big push for the NJMP event, but it's racing that means no sleep for TTP staff !
Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TTPMatt

This is a big push for the NJMP event, but it's racing that means no sleep for TTP staff !
Is this the August 5th and 6th or the July 11-13th time trial event at NJMP

Get notified of new replies

To Won't See The TTP Black RX-7 Anymore...

Old 07-02-2008, 08:22 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

[QUOTE=95jersey;1566128042

this will most likely be my last season with the car.

[/QUOTE]

Uh oh, whats next Matt?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:41 AM
kingkyle
Advanced

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Is this the August 5th and 6th or the July 11-13th time trial event at NJMP
Yup, its a time trial event on Saturday for sure... not sure about Friday.

Matt... you know damn well if I could have 800 @ the wheels and light the rears up in 5th gear I would take it

Last edited by kingkyle; 07-02-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
Uh oh, whats next Matt?
Not 100% sure at this point, but with the economy recently, my business is not doing nearly as well as it was a couple years ago, at the same time my family expenses are increasing tremendously, and I am getting more conscious about running a 500rwhp car without a full cage. My new health care plan sucks and I have a $3000 yearly deductible that applies to everything including prescriptions. I can still afford to run the car if I really want, but it's the nickle and dime here and there that adds up. At the end of the day, my family expenses have gone up hundreds, if not thousands more a month, while my pay has gone down 20-30%. So I am saving less money each month, which is just unacceptable for a hobby.

I have been doing HPDE for 8+ years and easily 100 events. While I love the C6Z, and it is the most increadible car I will probably ever drive in my life, the expense of running this car from tires to brakes and such is starting to get old, and I could not destroy such a beautiful car by putting in a cage, and the aluminum frame makes that a not cost effective endevour.

I would like to go with something that is super low in the weight department vs heavy with lots of HP. The lower the weight the less you break, the less parts wear and the car becomes much more fun to drive. After mashing the pedal with all the HP in the world, I have come to the point that I'd rather drive something that goes 5-10mph faster in the turns, even at the sacrafice of 20-30mph down the strait. For the first time recently I instructed in a car with a full cage and I felt 100% confident and no matter how hard we pushed the turns, there was a comfort I do not have in my non-caged street C6Z.

I will definately be running out the rest of the season in this car. What the next car will be, I have not yet figured that out...If only the Miata had 300hp, I would be sold in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Won't See The TTP Black RX-7 Anymore...