Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes for C5Z, occasional track and autoX

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 PM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes for C5Z, occasional track and autoX

I have ordered Hawk HP plus pads.
I would like opinions on rotors to match these and resist warping on a technical circuit with lots of accelerations and decelerations.
A. 1. I could stay with the stock rotors, go to 2. slotted Sport Brembos or
B. go to cryo treated rotors, such as 1. Cryo-Stop, 2. cryo-treated Power Slot or 3. Frozen Rotors.
Based on my limited reading, cryo-treated Power Slot rotors seem good.
I have not considered 2piece rotors very seriously due to cost.
I would appreciate input on the rotors, as well as compatibility with Hawk HP Plus
MK
Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Just my opinion. If you are just beginning, for occasional track use, go with the ZO6 pads and stock rotors. Change the brake fluid to a high temp one and go from there. This equipment should serve you well as you progress in your driving skills. There are quite a lot of more experienced drivers on here that will probably offer further help. I've been going to the track for a year. This is the way I run my ZO6.

Gene
Old 07-20-2008, 09:45 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I push my stock brakes to the limit at the track (often) and other than a little fade they work great.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:41 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Having gone through 2 sets of rotors just with spirited back road driving when the car was stock, Frozen Rotors where the best mod I did to my stock brakes - followed by stainless steel lines and Hawk HP+ pads.

I presented the GM area rep with a set of stress cracked stock rotors in 2002 - from 3000 street miles with stock pads - the bottom line is the will crack, it is just a matter of how long they last.

Going Frozen Rotors almost tripled my mileage on stock sized solid rotors.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:46 PM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

Default Hawk HP Plus pads with stock rotors?

Originally Posted by sperkins

I push my stock brakes to the limit at the track (often) and other than a little fade they work great.
Do stock rotors warp as a result of the extra heat that higher performance pads generate?

In the short term I'll stay with stock rotor and pads, braided brake lines and higher boiling point brake fluid.

MK
Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 PM
RC45
Race Director

I dont believe the stock rotors ever warp - they just craze then crack.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:55 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

RC45's experience is pretty unique. I've run 70,xxx miles on my current set of rotors (changed them at 100K because, well, just because ), and I've gone through several seasons of autocross and occasional track usage with nothing more than the harmless spiderweb-look cracks in the rotor surface. Once a crack grows to the inner or outer edge of the rotor (stock or slotted rotors) or connects two drilled holes (for drilled rotors), the rotor is junk.

Do a search on cryo-treated rotors; you'll find much debate that there's no point re-writing here.

I've been running PFC Z-rated pads, which are similar to HPS + pads or Z06 pads in performance. I've never had a rotor "warp" (which is primarily brake material deposits on the rotors for a variety of reasons) on my Vette. I've had rotors vibrate almost out of the box on other cars. Point being that stock rotors are just fine unless you go with a big brake kit.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 PM
RC45
Race Director

I would go out on a limb here and say 100,000 miles on a set of OEM C5 front rotors used on race tracks and autox is the unique experience.

I am not interested in getting ino a pissing match, if yougot 100,000 miles more power to you.

The OP asked whether cryo treated rotors were a good idea, and I offered him an opinion.

Keep the shiny side up and keep hitting your apexes..

Peace.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 AM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC45
Having gone through 2 sets of rotors just with spirited back road driving when the car was stock, Frozen Rotors where the best mod I did to my stock brakes - followed by stainless steel lines and Hawk HP+ pads.

I presented the GM area rep with a set of stress cracked stock rotors in 2002 - from 3000 street miles with stock pads - the bottom line is the will crack, it is just a matter of how long they last.

Going Frozen Rotors almost tripled my mileage on stock sized solid rotors.
It makes sense to me to use heat and crack resistant rotors with higher performance pads than stock. I have heard good things about Hawk HP+ pads.
We have a technical track at Calabogie with lots of decelerations to low speeds and brakes get very hot.
Thanks
MK
Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I've used Hawk HPS pads on my C5Z06 and C6 coupe and they offer a nice increase in grip over the stockers and have very nice (i.e. stock) warm up characteristics and the dust is no worse than stock.

I'd use these for the street and switch to a race pad when racing.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 AM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock Auto rotors with BHP race pads. http://bhpbrakes.com/ talk to Matt this is an alternative to Hawk which I have used. SS brake lines and good fluid and try GS610 brake fluid from BHP Rotors are disposable depending on your driving technique and track the life of your brakes will vary.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelkrelina
I have ordered Hawk HP plus pads.
I would like opinions on rotors to match these and resist warping on a technical circuit with lots of accelerations and decelerations.
First there is no such thing as warping. Read the Stoptech white paper on therory of warping and you find it is uneven brake pad deposition for poor braking techneque

A. 1. I could stay with the stock rotors, go to 2. slotted Sport Brembos or
STOCK or the NAPA counter parts are best.
B. go to cryo treated rotors, such as 1. Cryo-Stop, 2. cryo-treated Power Slot or 3. Frozen Rotors.
Based on my limited reading, cryo-treated Power Slot rotors seem good.
Based on track use, cryo rotors crack sooner then non-cryo rotors. Stay away from cryos
I have not considered 2piece rotors very seriously due to cost.
I would appreciate input on the rotors, as well as compatibility with Hawk HP Plus
MK

Again the rotors,
NAPA or Raybestous part #s

or the Rock Auto Raybestous part #s

Good DOT 4 brake fluid, Motul 600, ATE Super Blue or Gold 600, Castrol SRF. Many guys have had good luck with Castrol LMA and Valvoline Sythtec

Brake pads

Hawk HP+ will get you though one maybe two days. then you will need to change brake pads.

Good track pads no order

Wilwood H
Hawk DTC-60
Hawk DTC-70
PFC-01
PFC-05

Carbotech XP10 to XP12

The Carbotechs can be driven on the street somewhat. The others above should not be driven on the street. They can but will squeek like the blazes

Good Luck
Old 07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RC45
I would go out on a limb here and say 100,000 miles on a set of OEM C5 front rotors used on race tracks and autox is the unique experience.
Well, it was 100k on the first set, 70k and counting on the 2nd set.

Peace be with you as well,
Mike
Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I wonder if people can confuse runout with warping. Can unequal lug nut torque cause physical runout on the metal of the rotor, not from deposits?

One weekend at Road America:

200 miles on a set of rotors is good, right?!?!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I wonder if people can confuse runout with warping. Can unequal lug nut torque cause physical runout on the metal of the rotor, not from deposits?

The rotor in the picture looks like it has a couple more track days of life before cracking. As for unequal lug nut torque warping a rotor that may have been true on older cars where the hub was part of the rotor and the rotor held the lug bolts. On most modern vehicles the rotor is mounted through a clamping action of the wheel and the bearing hub flange. The rotor is squeezed between the two. Whatever stress this produces is probably negligible.

That being said it is still wise to torque the lug nuts evenly as this ensures the wheel is held on properly and there are no unusual strains being applied to the wheel when cornerng, etc.

Bill
Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Well, I've wondered that myself. I always check my lug nut torque before an event, but if they're torqued *enough* I don't know if it would make a difference if 4 were torqued to 100 ft-lbs and one was torqued to 120.

That's a good picture of spiderwebbing. I've had those on my rotors for years. I expect they will slowly grow until one gets close enough to the edge to go "Ping!". Here's a link to a topic I started on this subject last year:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1673518

Have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 07-21-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added thread link
Old 07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

The crack in the middle is deep enough to catch my nail on. I thought it could be run a little more as well but didn't want to have to work on the car at my next event. The NCM RA event is getting close and I'm just about prepped!

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes for C5Z, occasional track and autoX

Old 07-21-2008, 01:39 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

There was an SAE paper some years ago that indicated that in fact unequal torquing of the free fitting hat/rotor can exert some deflection in the rotor. You can probably do a search for it but not read the whole story without paying for it. I confess I remain a bit skeptical on it as well but the did show some minor alterations from this.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
RC45
Race Director

The crack in the middle is deep enough to catch my nail on. I thought it could be run a little more as well but didn't want to have to work on the car at my next event. The NCM RA event is getting close and I'm just about prepped!
Stock rotors are cheap enough to replace "at the drop of a rotor hat"

And for the record, I doubt you will find many other C5's with stock rotors lasting 75 to 100,000 miles if the car is autox'ed or tracked at any level of aggression.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I run the stock rotors pretty hard and they seem to last just as long as the expensive rotors.
If your rotors last 100,000 miles of track use, you aren't braking hard enough.

Quick Reply: Brakes for C5Z, occasional track and autoX