Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt 4 pt Chassis Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pfadt 4 pt Chassis Bar

Anyone using one of these in a C6 or C6Z? Thoughts or comments about the benefits and/or negatives? It looks like it mounts far enough back to still be safe for street use but someone please correct me if that is not the case.

Only real negatives i can see are significant installation and lack of ability to store the removable roof, but the positive of having some minor rollover protection with race seats outweighs those negatives.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rivet nut mounting system worries me. If you roll over, all you have supporting the bar up front is some bolts in shear.

Maybe their bar can be welded in...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:01 PM
wmk32
Instructor

It can be welded in place. I just realized that this product has only been out for 2 weeks which explains why nobody has much of an opinion of its usefulness.

The more i look it's difficult to tell whether this provides much in the way of rollover protection at all. I'm starting to lean towards the notion that unless you have a full cage you're pretty much screwed in a car with a removable roof.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Originally Posted by wmk32
It can be welded in place. I just realized that this product has only been out for 2 weeks which explains why nobody has much of an opinion of its usefulness.

The more i look it's difficult to tell whether this provides much in the way of rollover protection at all. I'm starting to lean towards the notion that unless you have a full cage you're pretty much screwed in a car with a removable roof.
I disagree. If you have beefy rollbar that is well attached to the frame of the car and combine that with a nice low seat, I think you are making a huge difference in a roll.

That said, I'd take the full cage any day of the week if keeping a dedicated race car (and trailer and truck) was practical.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
I disagree. If you have beefy rollbar that is well attached to the frame of the car and combine that with a nice low seat, I think you are making a huge difference in a roll.

That said, I'd take the full cage any day of the week if keeping a dedicated race car (and trailer and truck) was practical.
I think it will make a difference in a roll, but i'm actually curious how the front windshield frame would hold up and what would actually happen to the removable roof in a roll? You might be right that it would make a considerable difference, but those two seem like big wild cards.

Dedicated track car is feasible as i drive a tow vehicle as a daily, but I do enjoy driving the c6 from time to time for fun. It might be that in the next year or so as my skills increase i consider making it a full time track car and going with a full cage. It seems ludicrous to me to save money on safety.

This hobby certainly never gets cheaper.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Originally Posted by wmk32
I think it will make a difference in a roll, but i'm actually curious how the front windshield frame would hold up and what would actually happen to the removable roof in a roll? You might be right that it would make a considerable difference, but those two seem like big wild cards.

Dedicated track car is feasible as i drive a tow vehicle as a daily, but I do enjoy driving the c6 from time to time for fun. It might be that in the next year or so as my skills increase i consider making it a full time track car and going with a full cage. It seems ludicrous to me to save money on safety.

This hobby certainly never gets cheaper.
A pillars will do great with a roll bar. On miatas the A pilliars are so weak you would think they were made out of cardboard. They routinely go completely flat in a roll.

However.... you throw a rollbar on that car, and magically the A pillars hold since they are no longer trying to support the majority of the weight.

That said, a cage is where its at. You might consider buying a T1 car to get the whole package.

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt 4 pt Chassis Bar

Quick Reply: Pfadt 4 pt Chassis Bar