Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Vibration...recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake Vibration...recommendations please

I recently cracked one of my C6Z rotors at the BMW weekend (3 days) at NJMP. At the track in between sessions, I changed out the rotor with a spare I had brought. I went out to the next session and really didn't follow the bedding instructions like I should, and as the day progressed, I had a slight vibration under only the hardest braking zones. I usually bed my pads around my house stricly following the procedures before the event, but on the track, I was just not able to follow the bed in procedure as strictly as I normally would.

I am thinking the vibration is pad material put on the rotor unevenly due to the improper bedding. I hate to throw away a new rotor, is there anything that can be done to save the rotor? Will a few more sessions potentially clear the situation up? Can I try to rebed the pad on the street or have I done irreversible damage?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I am thinking the vibration is pad material put on the rotor unevenly due to the improper bedding. I hate to throw away a new rotor, is there anything that can be done to save the rotor? Will a few more sessions potentially clear the situation up? Can I try to rebed the pad on the street or have I done irreversible damage?
I've had this happen countless times. I usually just deal with the vibration until it becomes too much, then scrap the rotor. I have heard that you can take a scotch pad on an angle grinder to try and get the pad material off of the rotor, but have not tried it myself.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They sell 'cleaner' pads to scrape the excess material off and then you re install your race pads. However if you're running the stock rotors it may be cheaper to buy a new one.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:19 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
I've had this happen countless times. I usually just deal with the vibration until it becomes too much, then scrap the rotor. I have heard that you can take a scotch pad on an angle grinder to try and get the pad material off of the rotor, but have not tried it myself.
Fit grit paper on an orbital sander is what I've always been told.

Until the Corvette I always ran Hawk Blues (on lighter cars) and they eat more rotor than pad typically so I've never had to deal with this issue personally.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
I'm no expert but I have used a Scotch Brite pad (red color pad I believe) on my rotors. I wasn't getting a distinct vibration...only a strange, low frequency 'judder' noise. It turned out I had glazed my pads.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:18 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run it until the vibration is a problem, then toss it.

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Vibration...recommendations please

Quick Reply: Brake Vibration...recommendations please