Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help T1 Bars

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by City Goat
Newb question...

Can I run the T1 bars on an otherwise completely stock (aside from tires/brakes) C5Z suspension? Stock endlinks and all?

Any issues with that setup?
you don't have to have adjustable links but then you may not be able to set the preload at zero.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by City Goat
Newb question...

Can I run the T1 bars on an otherwise completely stock (aside from tires/brakes) C5Z suspension? Stock endlinks and all?

Any issues with that setup?
Whats up city goat. I'm GTO Fan from the "other" site. I have used the T1 bars with stock endlinks and the adjustables. If you are a stock suspension and moderate ride height, then you won't have any problems. I have tested preload on mine with the stock endlinks and they are fine. Much quieter than the adjustables too. You could develop preload depending on how you adjust your suspension especially with coilovers.

I just removed my T1 bars and went back to stockers. After adding coilovers and poly bushings I didn't need the stiff bars and I think they were actually hindering my cornering. I'll find out for sure on Friday when I go to the track.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:40 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, oh... think my setup may be too tight.

Someone said you should be able to turn the bar by hand and slide it from side to side? No way mine would do that. Far too tight. Is that a bad thing?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by yakisoba

Someone said you should be able to turn the bar by hand and slide it from side to side? No way mine would do that. Far too tight. Is that a bad thing?
They won't move easily by hand. But I could move mine by hand with some effort when they were clamped in as long as the bushings were lubed and I used spacers on the brackets.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by yakisoba

Old 09-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Silverton
Pro

I've got Pfadt street adjustable bars on my Z51, and these came with poly sway bar bushings. Pfadt also makes a pillow block sway bar bushings.

I've been thinking of switching to a T1 bar for the front (I have clearance problems with 18x11 front wheels). Are there poly sway bar bushings available for the T1 bars?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Silverton
I've got Pfadt street adjustable bars on my Z51, and these came with poly sway bar bushings. Pfadt also makes a pillow block sway bar bushings.

I've been thinking of switching to a T1 bar for the front (I have clearance problems with 18x11 front wheels). Are there poly sway bar bushings available for the T1 bars?
yes VBP has them
Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 PM
City Goat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Whats up city goat. I'm GTO Fan from the "other" site. I have used the T1 bars with stock endlinks and the adjustables. If you are a stock suspension and moderate ride height, then you won't have any problems. I have tested preload on mine with the stock endlinks and they are fine. Much quieter than the adjustables too. You could develop preload depending on how you adjust your suspension especially with coilovers.

I just removed my T1 bars and went back to stockers. After adding coilovers and poly bushings I didn't need the stiff bars and I think they were actually hindering my cornering. I'll find out for sure on Friday when I go to the track.
Hey man!

Sweet info. These might just be my next mod. Currently (and for the foreseeable future lol) I'm at stock ride height (ie mud boggin) so if all this is true stock endlinks, stock suspension and stock ride height will be A-OK with the T1s?

-Ryan

PS - You guys are awesome, thanks for the help.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:28 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys, I installed them today, I used white lithium grease on the bushings, and some on the LG end links just for good measure. No noise as of yet, I drove maybe 40 miles today and I havent heard a sound.
Also I am lowered on stock bolts, incase any one was wondering.

Nando
Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

The GM T1 endlinks are known to be noisy. They weren't designed for a street car.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Shims (washers) under the clamps are a very good thing. The factory clamps don't have the room to clamp a huge bar and the bushings. A couple washers under the clamp makes the bar "free" in the bushing.

Randy
So the bar should "float"? Is that what I reading....Ive got a nasty rattle...and Im using the stock Z06 endlinks....

Can you just shim the top to relieve pressure on the bushing...because the lower bold goes thru the "A" arm?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
The squeek is definitely coming from the adjustable metal endlinks. I have the T1 sway bars and tried the Hotchkis Adjustable End Links - very noisey no matter how much they were lubricated or tighted. I replaced them with the GM non-adjustable metal end links - no noise. However, I haven't tried the LG "Quiet" Adjustable End Links. Good luck - sounds like a good combo.

I pulled my noisy Hotchkis endlinks off and replaced with GM Metal and have been quiet for a couple years now
Old 11-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Originally Posted by BitViper
So the bar should "float"? Is that what I reading....Ive got a nasty rattle...and Im using the stock Z06 endlinks....

Can you just shim the top to relieve pressure on the bushing...because the lower bold goes thru the "A" arm?
When I shimmed the rear bar it started to slide side to side. I am still shimmed in the front. The bars will get quieter with time.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 PM
coffey
Racer

The normal T1 endlinks make noise because they are a lower quality high misalignment heim joint. They have slop in them when new. It is a common problem on any car that uses cheap heims for the links. You can use the quiet links that LG sells or get a high quality high misalignment heims. They will cost more though.
The bar should move up and down freely otherwise it adds wheel rate. You don't want it to move side to side either. That can change the rate of the bar a small amount side to side. There are collars available that lock around a bar and snug up against the bushings to prevent them from walking. But because of the bends in the bars near where they pass through the bushings, they shouldn't move much.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 PM
MBMvette
Instructor

I'm running coilovers, poly control arm bushings, t1s shimmed and greased, GM adjustable links. Not a peep from the sways or links....I used a good waterproof wheel bearing grease in the sway bar bushings and shim it so you can move the bar fairly easily...binding will make noise and make the car dart around..
Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by coffey
The normal T1 endlinks make noise because they are a lower quality high misalignment heim joint. They have slop in them when new. It is a common problem on any car that uses cheap heims for the links. You can use the quiet links that LG sells or get a high quality high misalignment heims. They will cost more though.
The bar should move up and down freely otherwise it adds wheel rate. You don't want it to move side to side either. That can change the rate of the bar a small amount side to side. There are collars available that lock around a bar and snug up against the bushings to prevent them from walking. But because of the bends in the bars near where they pass through the bushings, they shouldn't move much.
Im not getting squeeks...Im getting a rattle.

Ive tried Uninstalling and loading the wheels and re installing...Unloading the wheels and reinstalling - this was actually the quietest

But not squeeking ratteling
Old 11-06-2008, 04:17 PM
coffey
Racer

yeah the bearings in the end links rattle. that is normal
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Wel I got it done..I used two washers ont he top and one on the bottom as per suggested my a fellow thread member..It helps..their not as noisy..I do get some rattle..I wonder If Ive damaged (they dont look dammaged) the end links.

The bar can VERY easily moved about 3/4 in side to side. One day I'll prolly get back under and remove one of the washers one the tops...

Thanks all

Quick Reply: Need Help T1 Bars