Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help T1 Bars

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Need Help T1 Bars

Ok I have read every possible T1 sway bar thread. I have heard everything from John saying he has never heard a squeak or rattle in over 55k miles, to Tom saying it will rattle your teeth out, to people saying I should lock tight the bolts.
Anyone have any install tips and or suggestions before I put them on this weekend.
I bought a set of used bars and LG quiet end links, so hopefully that will solve some of the usual noise problems.
Thanks Nando
Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Ok I have read every possible T1 sway bar thread. I have heard everything from John saying he has never heard a squeak or rattle in over 55k miles, to Tom saying it will rattle your teeth out, to people saying I should lock tight the bolts.
Anyone have any install tips and or suggestions before I put them on this weekend.
I bought a set of used bars and LG quiet end links, so hopefully that will solve some of the usual noise problems.
Thanks Nando
It's the endlinks, not the bars. I had the T1 endlinks on my last car and they did make a ton of noise. I use the quiet endlinks on my new car and hear next to nothing. Maybe a slight creak or crack here or there, but nothing that would worry running them on the street.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Grease the bushings. I had to shim my front bushing clamps to quiet them down. It might only be a problem until they get broken in. I have next to no noise now with solid endlinks. 3,000 miles or so. No matter what, you will love how flat your car will feel.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:07 PM
tigertank
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put them on mine easy done with a lift about and hour and a half so far no noise that cany handle BUT BIG BIG improvent over stock u will like them
Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how does an endlink make noise?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
how does an endlink make noise?
Ask LG, he makes quiet endlinks for some reason.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Thanks guys for all the input on the endlinks, Im looking forward to giving them a try in Oct at Summit point.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The squeek is definitely coming from the adjustable metal endlinks. I have the T1 sway bars and tried the Hotchkis Adjustable End Links - very noisey no matter how much they were lubricated or tighted. I replaced them with the GM non-adjustable metal end links - no noise. However, I haven't tried the LG "Quiet" Adjustable End Links. Good luck - sounds like a good combo.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Ask LG, he makes quiet endlinks for some reason.
I don't need any and mine never made noise. What free play is in an endlink to make the noise?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I have been spraying mine with PB Blaster once in a while for years.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
The squeek is definitely coming from the adjustable metal endlinks. I have the T1 sway bars and tried the Hotchkis Adjustable End Links - very noisey no matter how much they were lubricated or tighted. I replaced them with the GM non-adjustable metal end links - no noise. However, I haven't tried the LG "Quiet" Adjustable End Links. Good luck - sounds like a good combo.
Hmmmmmm????? I have the exact same Hotchkis set up and they don't make a sound.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Last C5
Hmmmmmm????? I have the exact same Hotchkis set up and they don't make a sound.
probably bushing making a noise as it is squeezed to tight or lack of lube. Not that much movement in a endlink to make noise from rotating.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the T1 bars this summer, and I have no problem with them. They do stiffen up the suspension a lot, but that's what I wanted. Really reduced body roll a lot. The only problem I have, occasionally, is hitting a bump, I'll get a little knocking sound, but think that may be the exhaust hitting something, not the bars.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:24 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

thanks for all the comments, i guess I will lube the hell out of everything.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I installed the T1 bars this summer, and I have no problem with them. They do stiffen up the suspension a lot, but that's what I wanted. Really reduced body roll a lot. The only problem I have, occasionally, is hitting a bump, I'll get a little knocking sound, but think that may be the exhaust hitting something, not the bars.

look on the bar and see if it is hitting the a-arm. Make sure it is centered and can slide side to side and rubber isolators are not crushed.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
Grease the bushings. I had to shim my front bushing clamps to quiet them down. It might only be a problem until they get broken in. I have next to no noise now with solid endlinks. 3,000 miles or so. No matter what, you will love how flat your car will feel.
Shims (washers) under the clamps are a very good thing. The factory clamps don't have the room to clamp a huge bar and the bushings. A couple washers under the clamp makes the bar "free" in the bushing.

Randy
Old 09-23-2008, 04:09 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Shims (washers) under the clamps are a very good thing. The factory clamps don't have the room to clamp a huge bar and the bushings. A couple washers under the clamp makes the bar "free" in the bushing.

Randy
And be careful re-torquing the bolts because they are easy to cross thread. I would use some loc-tite on all the bolts and nuts to keep them from backing out. Also make sure you use synthetic lube or grease. Regular grease will harden real quick and seize up. I also suggest you keep the rear bar on the softest setting (outside hole) to reduce oversteer.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help T1 Bars

Old 09-23-2008, 04:42 PM
City Goat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newb question...

Can I run the T1 bars on an otherwise completely stock (aside from tires/brakes) C5Z suspension? Stock endlinks and all?

Any issues with that setup?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I have T1s on my silver '98... that thing handles like a *****
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

Randy
DRM told me that 8 years ago when I was putting them on I said this don't fit . You need to check your bushing for wear also.

Quick Reply: Need Help T1 Bars