Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Crap...F1

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:32 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,399 Likes on 749 Posts

Ferrari hasn't said anything yet about an alternate driver, IIRC they've got quite a bit of time before the next race.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

the hazards of open cockpit racing.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by efranzen
I also read about a basal skull fracture. I think it's pretty likely that the HANS device saved his life.

The video I linked earlier has been removed by Youtube. But if you search Youtube for other videos and look at the on-screen telemetry at the time of impact, you'll see that he was still at full throttle and the brakes were applied. The on-screen brake telemetry doesn't show the actual braking force, it just shows it on or off.

On the F1 Technical forum there are statements from the team saying that Massa was knocked out immediately on impact with the heave spring. Both of his legs straightened, causing him to go full throttle and also apply some braking force (60 kg). That wasn't enough braking force to slow the car. The skid marks you see in the video are due to the front brakes locking when the car hopped over the curb.

I haven't read what the speed at impact with the wall was, but at the time of impact with the heave spring he was going 285 kph. So he was probably still going upwards of 150 mph when he had direct head-on impact into the tire barrier.

Efranzen
Estimates from good sources say he hit the tire barrier at approx 60mph

It also sound slike Felipe will come through this pretty well. Thanks God..
Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

What's that tell you about wearing a HANS even for HPDE's?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,767 Likes on 944 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
I was on the fence about getting one because of the price. After seeing this I think I am going to try to afford one soon. Whats the difference between sport and professional?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kubs
I was on the fence about getting one because of the price. After seeing this I think I am going to try to afford one soon. Whats the difference between sport and professional?
The designs are the same, but the Sport is made of fiberglass and the Professional is made of carbon fiber. So weight is the difference.

Steve
Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the difference between sport and professional?
a couple of lbs of weight and last i looked a few hunder $$.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Speculation is Ferrari is trying to get Schumi back into the car...I highly doubt he will do it though. Forgot where I read the quote, I think in a link in here:
Who else is he going to ring? The test drivers are useless, and there is nobody else here if you think about it," said the 60-year-old
Niki Lauda said this..
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...a-felipe-massa

it's too bad Scott Speed is under a Red Bull contract with Nascar/Nationwide..would be great to see him back in a proper race car

As far as the HANS saving lives, my dad was the original live crash test dummy at the 2000 Daytona 24; 130+ head on into the wall..ya, they work

Last edited by SIK02SS; 07-27-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,767 Likes on 944 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Lancer033
a couple of lbs of weight and last i looked a few hunder $$.
Yeah. Their website says the sport is like $750 with quick disconnect clips vs $1100 for the professional. They say its only 1 lb heavier too.

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Speculation is Ferrari is trying to get Schumi back into the car...I highly doubt he will do it though.
I heard that too. I dont think he will do it. Hes been out of it for too long to just jump right back in, although Im sure he would be just fine.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I heard that too. I dont think he will do it. Hes been out of it for too long to just jump right back in, although Im sure he would be just fine.
I doubt he will, but he probably could. He used to sit up there during the post race interviews and looked like he just got done watching a movie. Guy on either side of him looking like they just swam 10 miles in their race suits.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I think Lauda's comments about the test drivers is a little harsh considering Mark Gene just won the 24 hours of Le Mans. I hope they give Mark a shot he is a great driver and a nice guy.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
a MUST have

and replacing cracked helmets too.

Race seats and harness for HANS use.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully this will close the debate of open vs full-face helmets too. Even in our cars, stuff still flys in.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Formula 1 racer Massa condition improves, off ventilator

Megjelenés dátuma: 2009. július 27. 21:23
Szerző: MTI

Budapest - Brazilian racer Felipe Massa, a driver in the Ferrari Formula-1 team has been taken off the ventilator and was able to speak to his family on Monday afternoon, two days after being severely injured during time trials at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Andor Grosz, deputy head of Budapest's State Health Centre, the hospital where Massa was treated, said that Massa's condition had improved significantly.

Massa suffered a fractured skull after a loose part from the car of Brazilian driver Rubens Barrichello struck his helmet on Saturday afternoon.

He was brought to the track's medical centre, then taken by helicopter to the Budapest hospital where he underwent surgery.

"No additional operation will be necessary and his condition is expected to further improve," Grosz said. Chances are good that Massa can make a full recovery, he added.

A family spokesman said they were completely satisfied with local treatments in Budapest and had no plans to get Massa transferred to another city despite earlier reports that he would be taken to Paris for further treatment.

Massa has been competing in Formula-1 since 2002, participating in 116 races so far, winning 11 and starting from pole position 15 times.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Buy one and take care of it. Then if you need to sell or don't use (no car) you can sell it. Then how much did it realy cost you per event?

They say replace it after 5 years but I would only be worried about new straps which are cheap if I bought one used.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:53 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
They say replace it after 5 years but I would only be worried about new straps which are cheap if I bought one used.
If you leave it out in the sun, the resin holding the carbon together will break down. Leave it in a cool dark place when its not in use and it should be fine.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have long marvelled at how other people treat their safety gear
- especially helmets.

Because of what I have seen, I would always have a nagging doubt
about a pre-owned HANS.

The advice about routine replacement is prompted in part by factors
such as brittle aging due to ultraviolet exposure.

Edit: Slow fingers - mgarfias posted about UV well ahead of me.

Last edited by Slalom4me; 07-27-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Holy Crap...F1

Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

It is on my neck or in the HANS bag. It has been in the bag two years now If someone doesn't want to spend or can't spend 800 I would rather see them with a used one that visually looked good than nothing.

I also read Massa's eye may have some damage and the extend of it is really not known at this point.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I suspect he'll be "fine", but I believe that his career is over. This isn't like breaking your leg, its going to take time to get back together. Would you want to push getting back on the track after a basal skull fracture? Especially knowing that your car pulls 4gs in the corners?

Me neither.

If he's out for 6 months, he probably won't be getting back in an F1 car. Sad too, I hate seeing this kind of thing happen to anyone.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mgarfias
I suspect he'll be "fine", but I believe that his career is over. This isn't like breaking your leg, its going to take time to get back together. Would you want to push getting back on the track after a basal skull fracture? Especially knowing that your car pulls 4gs in the corners?

Me neither.

If he's out for 6 months, he probably won't be getting back in an F1 car. Sad too, I hate seeing this kind of thing happen to anyone.
I hate to, but

Quick Reply: Holy Crap...F1